PDA

View Full Version : Pathe Freres Paris Petzval Len?

parleton
23-Feb-2012, 21:10
Hi all:

I am just wondering if anyone has or use Pathe Freres Paris Len on Large Format, information, or having pictures taking with this len, since the information I found on the net is limited. From what I gathered, it is made by a French company in early 1900s. I have a Pathe Freres 125mm at about f/5 that I put on Speed Graphic and 200mm at about f/4. The 125mm is a Cinema len (with Cinema line being scripted on the len) and the 200mm seemed to be a projector len, although I can be wrong. Both do not have Waterhouse stop although the 125mm has a built-in stop inside the len's barrel which can be modify to further stop down. Correct me if I am wrong but both len are Petzval-type construct after I disassembled the len elements. The 125mm seemed to cover fine by 4x5 and the 200mm's image circle is bigger than 240mm Schneider which seemed to cover 8x10 although I did not try it on 8x10 camera yet.

Here is a pic of the 125mm being adapted on my speed graphic taken with EPL-1 using 25mm Wollensak len :-) http://i.imgur.com/6ulNF.jpg

There are pic samples taken by a guy at the chinese forum here with the 200mm which can be viewed at http://www.bit.ly/z4bkvj

Steven Tribe
24-Feb-2012, 03:23
Pathé Frères was the main company behind the expansion of early ciné equipment - both recording and screening.
A lot of their cinema projection lenses come onto the market through E**y and elsewhere. They are no different from magic lantern lenses apart from the rather smaller format (35mm). Early ones are always Petzvals. Many other makers made early ciné series - Busch, for example. Often sold in sets with different focal lengths (like slide projectors in the recent past) to manage different projection locations. Probably the best buy for digital/old lenses experimenters.

renes
24-Feb-2012, 10:55
I had two Pathe Feres 90mm and 135mm lenses but never used them and now I have 150mm (engraved) which is actually 180mm when focused at infinity from the middle od the lens - 150mm fl is reached from back focus. I am going to adapt it soon and try.

parleton
24-Feb-2012, 13:03
Thanks for the infor Steven. Anyway I have the 200mm and 125mm. I'll disassemble the len tonight and post some pictures. Post some pictures of your len Rene.

I like the look of the len's picture (though I have not shot any picture of my own yet) which seemed to be good for portrait.

Steven Tribe
24-Feb-2012, 13:17
I believe I may have one too, on reflection. Will check the relevant box tomorrow!

renes
1-Mar-2012, 06:00
Thanks for the infor Steven. Anyway I have the 200mm and 125mm. I'll disassemble the len tonight and post some pictures. Post some pictures of your len Rene.

I like the look of the len's picture (though I have not shot any picture of my own yet) which seemed to be good for portrait.

I regret I have not used both Pathe I had, the image seen on GG was much interesting than projected by Hermagis cinema petzvals. From all cinema projection petzvals I owned, Pathe only covered 4x5" with no or very small vignetting, even 90mm did it. Here is the pict of 180mm I have now although engravings says 150mm but it's back focus. I bought it for 150mm I need to my 6x9 (I have 180mm already) and was planing to adapt it, but gave up with it and decided to find 150mm focal lenght. So, I can trade it with someone owning 6" projection petzval in 42mm barrel.

parleton
1-Mar-2012, 23:15
Hi Rene:

Hm so I guess the focal length might be different than the indicated focal length huh. No wonder my 200mm's image circle was a bit larger than I initially thought. Anyway I attached picture of the 2 pathe paris. The 200mm is the 2nd to the left and the 125mm is the last one from left.

I still do not have time to take a Pathe picture. Can somebody take a picture of the negative from it? I don't have a Hermagis cinema so I can't compared.

69377 69378