PDA

View Full Version : Suitability of Apo Ronar 600 / 9 for 4x5

otzi
2-Dec-2003, 02:48
I have the oppertunity of buying a good clean but old (1979) #10111231 Apo Ronar 600 for US$200 inc lens board. I need some honest opinions re this lens for 4x5. Sinar P so weight or length isn't an issue. Nor is portability.

No particular need or use just an opportunistic purchase for the occasional landscape scene and likewise 1:1 to 1:5 aprox close ups (occasionally). A compendium is used as I tend to be on the fussy side of the line regarding results and as I realise there are other 600's older and newer I am seeking opinions re a wise purchase compared to alternatives.

Thanks guys.

Bob Salomon
2-Dec-2003, 04:48
What will you use for a shutter?

Robert A. Zeichner
2-Dec-2003, 04:58
I currently use a 14" Apo Ronar which I had the late Steve Grimes mount in a mint Ilex #4. The lens is wonderful, but the whole package is kind of heavy. I imagine that a 24" f9 will require even a larger shutter, but also, and forgive me if you've already considered this, a lot of bellows. You would probably need around 28" to allow some movements when focused on distant subjects. What kind of camera do you intend to mount this on? With that lens probably requiring a #5 shutter, I have difficulty imagining this on a 4x5.

otzi
2-Dec-2003, 05:33
I thought I mentioned it, sorry. To be used on a Sinar P. Unlimited rail and bellows. Sinar offers an internal shutter (DB)

Otzi

Ernest Purdum
2-Dec-2003, 08:37
I have a 1985 Sinar listing which has a note regarding the 600mm Apo-Ronar which I am mot sure I fully understand. It says, "Full use with SINAR shutters only from f22." Maybe someone else can fill you in on this comment and the reason behind it.

Arne Croell
2-Dec-2003, 10:47
Although the shutter opening of the Sinar shutter is a tad larger than the rear lens diameter of the Apo-Ronar, the shutter opening has some depth that might introduce vignetting for the corners wide open at 8x10? Anyway, f/22 is actually recommended by Rodenstock as the best aperture for all Apo-Ronars up to 600mm. This is also true for similar dialyte process lenses (e.g. Apo-Germinar, Apo-Artar), used wide open they have some residual coma.

When Compound shutters in size 5 were still available, Rodenstock sold this lens also in a shutter for photographic purposes, not only as a process lens.

otzi
2-Dec-2003, 21:51
Do you think the price is fair and reasonable? Would one be better off with one of the other lenses in this size?

Thanks