PDA

View Full Version : Collodion Quarterly subscriptions

OldCrow
19-Feb-2012, 07:10
So the first issue is going to print on Tuesday. It is 74 pages or beautiful images and wonderful articles. It features works from every corner of the globe, and articles from and about some of the top professionals working in collodion processes today.

It is going to be something you do not want to miss.

We have a large number of subscribers already, and for that I am thankful. The support and energy the community has shown towards this project has been amazing. The contributions have been priceless, and I can not say thank you enough.

While I wish I could give all the artists a free issue, the price of printing and shipping does not allow that. Being that it is such a small run of magazines, we are unable to obtain price breaks just yet. Maybe when we grow and expand to a larger fan base, we will be able to offer a free-be here and there.

There are many people that have expressed interest in the Quarterly, and yet have not subscribed. There are many that advertised and have not subscribed.

Being that this is a small publication and that we are not doing online content as of yet, we need to have an exact or close to exact number of issue we are ordering to be printed.

So if you want an issue, you need to go to the website and subscribe. We are only going to have a few back issues printed on account of the cost and that we are on a shoe string budget.

I look forward to getting this out to you guys the first week or so of March. I hope you are as excited about it as we are.

GH

www.collodionquarterly.com

darr
19-Feb-2012, 07:40
I wish you well with your quarterly, but hesitate (maybe I am not alone here) to buy because of previous small-run photographic publications that made a few runs and then went obsolete and so did my subscription money. I am not trying to cause trouble, just responding to:
There are many people that have expressed interest in the Quarterly, and yet have not subscribed. There are many that advertised and have not subscribed. .

Also, because you are relatively new to this forum (Sep 2011) it only adds to my insecurity of letting go of my hard earned cash.
Maybe an on-line sample would lure more buyers.

OldCrow
19-Feb-2012, 09:27
I made this post to make those who messaged me about copies through private messages that the deadline is near.
We are not going to be doing online content, as we are focused on the printed aspect of the publication.

While I may not be a long time Internet poster, we have established a great network of connections throughout the photography world. Which I feel is far more important then building an Internet pressence. There is something far more rewarding in real world communication and contacts.

We are very aware of the pitfalls and short lived photographic publications, have done our best to avoid most of the fatal flaws. We have gained an outstanding support base filled with some of the top professionals around the world, and fo that I am thankful.

I simply wanted to give some of the folks who have their images submitted and those who have supported us since the start a chance to get the first issue. Once these are printed, we will not be reprinting them. That goes for all editions on the quarterly.

The best thing to do if you are unsure about spending the money is to wait a few weeks until the issues get into peoples hands, then wait for the people to talk about it on the Internet. Seems safe enough.

Thanks to all the folks that have jumped on board. I look forward to hearing back from you all.

Doug Howk
19-Feb-2012, 09:40
For those like myself who are hesitant to subscribe for a year to a new publication, there is the purchase one issue option. And the price for 4 issues purchased individually is not that much more.

D. Bryant
19-Feb-2012, 09:44
I wish you well with your quarterly, but hesitate (maybe I am not alone here) to buy because of previous small-run photographic publications that made a few runs and then went obsolete and so did my subscription money.

Like Emulsion magazine ...

Mark Sawyer
19-Feb-2012, 13:53
I went with just the first issue, having the same trepidations as others over a hard-copy publication in such a niche market as wet-plate photography. But such labors of love sometimes survive, and I hope this one continues.

I paid via Paypal, and wonder whether this would provide some protection for long-term subscribers should the publication fold. I also worry whether it might create legal problems for the publisher if Paypal came after him if the publication folds and Paypal refunded the subscribers money...

OldCrow
20-Feb-2012, 07:18
Thank you everyone that has subscribed since yesterday! It has been a real firestorm for sure.

I am glad that some folks figured out that there is a option for one issue, as this is easy and protects your inner fears!

I think there are few people that are projecting and broadcasting the worst case scenario, instead of looking at it in a positive way and being hopeful as the other few hundred of folks have done so far.

For those that have signed up, you will be able to feast your eyeballs on your copy in a few weeks!

Oh and for your kickstarter folks, I will be sending out a survey this week to get your info for your goodies!

atlcruiser
20-Feb-2012, 08:36
[QUOTE=OldCrow;849895]
I think there are few people that are projecting and broadcasting the worst case scenario, instead of looking at it in a positive way and being hopeful as the other few hundred of folks have done so far.

QUOTE]

Not here on LFF? No way does that sort of thing ever happen here :)

Monty McCutchen
20-Feb-2012, 10:53
Old Crow,

If we signed up today did we make it in time for this issue? Hope so. Good luck with the publication as it is nice to see folks that act on their passions.

best,

Monty

OldCrow
21-Feb-2012, 11:37
Yes Monty you are good to go. Oh and thanks for submitting images! I will be in touch soon about the tribute article.

It is off to the printer!

madmax12
23-Feb-2012, 13:31
I have ordered the first edition also Hope to it was in time Craig

anglophone1
24-Feb-2012, 15:34
Me too, be interested in seeing this!

OldCrow
26-Feb-2012, 07:38
Well they will be in hand this week and will be shipped to the subscribers by the end of the week coming. I am very excited and want to say thank you to all those that have been so very supportive of this project. It has been a ton of hard work and honestly it has been wonderful.

Sadly there are very few extra copies of the first issue, but hey that just makes them rare! hahaha

Seriously guys, thanks!

OldCrow
3-Mar-2012, 08:50
They are shipped! I want to give folks a heads up. There are no more copies of the first edition left. So if you subscribe now you will be getting from the second issue on out. The yearly subscription will run until jan 2013. I adjusted the price on the website to reflect this.

We will not be doing a reprint of the first issue. Sorry to those whom did not get in on the first issue, but I hope you have a friend who did so you can get to check it out!

Thanks everyone for making this a huge success.

Mark Sawyer
3-Mar-2012, 11:29
Excellent news, and my thanks and congratulations!

I'm curious, although I understand if you'd rather not answer... what size was the first run? (Just trying to guess the size of the collodion community out there...) And you may have to bump up the number on the next run! :)

OldCrow
3-Mar-2012, 12:01
Well lets say its less then 500 and more then 300 there abouts. We are getting more folks daily. Sadly we are not close enough to hit a price break for printing. I avoided using an online publisher on account of giving them the right to use the images if I printed with them, even though it would make printing and shipping far easier. I simply can not be okay with everyones images being free for whatever and whoever they want to use it for.

When looking at printing, this was very important to me. Each and every artist owns their images, and the rights are theirs alone to give to who they choose.

So there is no room to print off anything that is not spoken for and paid for upfront. I am not making anything off of this and it honestly is costing more then I thought it would. Shipping is brutal to overseas addresses, which I was shocked about when I put it in the post. Yet we absorbed the cost out of respect to the subscribers.

I am very happy with the amount of these that are being sent out, and I hope it stays here. We worked for two days to simply get them in envelopes and addressed. Which let me tell you is exhausting.

So I hope you guys enjoy your copies of the quarterly. It has been a lot of work, and I am glad to be moving onto the met one!

Doug Howk
7-Mar-2012, 17:31
Just received my copy. Alot of information & images. Keep up the good work.

atlcruiser
8-Mar-2012, 19:44
Just got my copy....I was an early adopter on kickstarter and I truly applaud the effort and drive that brought this into my home. It is very cool to see this project go form a thought to kickstarter to reality! Thanks for all of your hard work; and congratulations!

eddie
9-Mar-2012, 08:46
BRAVO! i just got mine. i love it. thanks!

(now buy a label writing machine so you do not have to hand write the addresses! i am going to keep the handwritten addressed envelope.....to raise the collector value of issue #1! and mine is signed! thanks again!)

Mark Sawyer
9-Mar-2012, 09:59
Mine arrived yesterday. Quite a nice publication, good articles, and I was very impressed by the quality of the reproductions. It's a keeper! :D

OldCrow
9-Mar-2012, 10:53
I figured you would love my little personalized addition to yours. I knew it would make you feel special, Eddie.

I am working on the hardcover being thicker next time. I am very happy with the images in the copy. All in all its a good solid start and is only going to get better with time!

anglophone1
28-Mar-2012, 12:46
Been travelling, it was here when I got back, really nice work, I'm in for more!