PDA

View Full Version : Weight limitations for a Zone VI Wooden Tripod with Bogen 3047 Head

hackphotographer
16-Feb-2012, 12:20
I have a Zone VI wooden tripod with the spiked legs and a Bogen 3047 head listed for sale. I acquired it in a lot of medium format gear I purchased and I don't know much about large format gear.

A potential buyer has just asked me the following question:

"Is this tripod and head good enough for 30-40 lbs cameras?"

I don't know the answer to his question so was hoping you guys might lend your knowledge.

I will be very grateful. If it's inappropriate to ask such a question here then I respect the moderators decision to delete this post.

Thanks in advance,
Ken

http://www.bidnashville.com/febzonetripod1.jpg

rdenney
16-Feb-2012, 12:33
In my opinion, yes.

Rick "not my favorite tripod, but not because it is weak" Denney

Mark Sampson
16-Feb-2012, 13:19
Based on my experience with two of them, I doubt that a 3047 head would support a 30lb. camera; the one I use for 4x5 didn't really like my 15lb. Kodak 8x10 Master, although it did work.

E. von Hoegh
16-Feb-2012, 14:28
The tripod, probably. The head, no.

Gem Singer
16-Feb-2012, 16:47
Fred Picker designed, manufactured, and marketed that particular tripod as his light weight version (I owned two of them). He also offered a sturdier heavier weight version.

Zone VI tripods were designed to support wooden folding flat bed cameras (4x5 and 8x10). Picker recommended the Bogen 3047 pan-tilt tripod head. He preferred to carry the camera, mounted on a tripod, over his shoulder. The Bogen hex plate quick release on the 3047 was strong enough to hold a light weight wooden camera.

A 30-40 lb. still camera? Your buyer should be looking for a huge metal tripod or a wooden tripod designed for a TV or movie camera.

Peter De Smidt
16-Feb-2012, 17:13
No, and I've owned both the same model tripod and head.

ROL
16-Feb-2012, 17:33
I dunno, looks like only a five dollar tripod to me.

Keith Fleming
16-Feb-2012, 22:47
I've tried that combination of tripod and head with my 8X10 Deardorff, and found the head wasn't sturdy enough for a camera of that size. I think the quick release mechanism wanted to flex a bit under the weight. With a sturdier head, I think the tripod would do fine for a heavier camera. But as has been pointed out above, it's always best to go with the biggest tripod, especially with something weighing 30-40 pounds.

Keith

Thebes
17-Feb-2012, 00:28
30-40 lbs? No for either, but the weak point is the head.
The 3047 I had with a B&J 8x10 was really being pushed with that camera at half that weight.

RichardRitter
17-Feb-2012, 05:19
The head will not.
The tripod will hold if the legs are put at the proper angle of use. I have in the past sat on one. Just make sure the legs are not cracked or damaged in any way.

You would be better off with the heaver weight tripod Zone VI sold.

Dan Fromm
19-Feb-2012, 07:43
The head? Absolutely not. A couple of years ago I built a "Baby Bertha" that weighs somewhat over 20 pounds, put it on a Berlebach 8023 with a Manfrotto 138 leveler and a 3047 (Manfrotto 029). The 3047 was very unhappy; didn't want to pan, flexed, ... Don't even think of putting more weight on one. I replaced the 3047 with a Bogen 3039/Manfrotto 229.

Oh. The leg set doesn't like the weight either, fortunately I can use the camera without extending the bottom leg section. And, as Mr. Ritter said, the legs have to be at the correct.

Brian Ellis
19-Feb-2012, 08:35
I have that head (though I don't use it) and I'm familiar with the tripod. I think the tripod would be fine for a 30-40 lb camera, I don't think the head would be. I was uncomfortable using the 3047 head with my 12 pound 8x10 cameras, I can't imagine using it on a 30-40 pound camera because the quick release plate on the 3047 head is too small to support a camera that big and heavy. Among Bogen heads the 3057 head with its 4 inch square plate, lower center of gravity, and greater mass would be a better choice but I'm not sure even that would be adequate for a 30-40 pound camera. That head is no longer made but it shows up fairly often on ebay.

RichardRitter
19-Feb-2012, 12:05
You can use the tripod with the legs extended. What you have to watch for is that you have the legs angled out at the proper angle to support the weight. this angle is around 20 to 30 degrees. Surveyors and civil engineers have have studied this to death.

You may have to mount the camera to the top of the tripod with out a pan head.

paulr
20-Feb-2012, 10:57
It wouldn't hurt to ask the buyer what cameras he's talking about. It's possible he's just not very good at estimating weight, and he's talking about a 10lb camera, or something like it.

I have the same tripod / head in question, and concur that it would be overwhelmed by that kind of weight, especially with the camera extended and a big lens cantilivered out. I expect the head would just flop over no matter what you did. I like the setup just great for 4x5.

40lbs lounds like a lot of megapixels!