PDA

View Full Version : 2d 8x10 lensboard and holders

Mike Troxell
27-Nov-2003, 22:26
What size lensboards does the Eastman 2D 8x10 use? I decided to move up to 8x10 this year after using a 4x5 for the last 14 years. I've found an Eastman 2D in excellent shape for a couple of hundred dollars that I want to use for a few months to see if 8x10 is really right for me. I have a complete 4x5 outfit so I really only need to get a lens, a lensboard and a few 8x10 film holders. If I decide to either keep the 2D or buy another 8x10 then I will would like to have an 8x10 adapter lensboard made that will accept the Zone VI 4x4 lensboards that I use on my 4x5. Also, is there anything else I need to know about moving to 8x10? I assume regular Lisco or Fidelity holders will work in the 2D.

Nick Morris
28-Nov-2003, 09:41
Mike, the 2D 8x10 uses 6" x 6" lensboards. They frequently come up for sale on the auction site (I don't think we are supposed to identify the site in this forum, but it starts with "e" and ends with "bay"), under "Large Format". A fellow in Pennsylvania, I think his name is Stuart Shuart (SP?), also sells them. I think I have his email or website at home, and will send it to you later. I bought a 2D to start out with 8x10. I added an extension rail, a sliding tripod block, and then a 5x7 reduction back. I got it about a year ago, and its about all I shoot with anymore. I have enjoyed it alot. Like you, I used 4x5 for some years, but the 8x10 is really something else.

Leonard Robertson
28-Nov-2003, 10:08
Mike - 8X10 2D boards are 6X6 inches. If there is any chance the rear extension track is available for your camera, be sure to grab it, even if the seller wants extra money. These tracks were fitted to each camera and any 2D extension won't necessarily fit very well. Without the track, you will have just 17" of extension, which is fine for 12-14" or shorter FL lenses. But if you want to use lenses in the 450mm or 19" FL range, the rear track adds 13" of extension. All that said, I wouldn't walk away from a $200 2D with a missing track. You may find you can get along just fine without it, or pick one up later. I paid $250 for my 2D at a camera swap a few years ago, and paid $50 for a rear track later. My "non-matching" track works, but there is a tight spot racking the rear standard onto the rear track which is rather annoying. I'm sure I could loosen it up with a little work, but never seem to get around to it. To me the main thing to get used to with 8X10 isn't so much the increased weight, it is the extra bulk of camera and holders, but you will learn to live with that. Finally, yes, "modern" film holders work fine in a 2D.

Mike Troxell
28-Nov-2003, 11:30
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to find a 6x6 lensboard on ebay or from Stuart Shuart (?). And I definitely want to get the rear extension track. I have a Fuji 450 lens I want to use on the 2D. Thanks.

Mike Troxell
28-Nov-2003, 11:34
One other thing. Nick mentioned the rear extension track. The 2D I am getting is listed as a "2D with front extension rack". Is there also an extra front extension rack or is this probably the rear extension rack Nick mentioned and they just listed it as a front extension rack by mistake?

Leonard Robertson
28-Nov-2003, 14:03
As far as I know there was only one extra extension. With some wooden flatbed cameras, both front and rear standards and bellows could be reversed on the bed, so what was the rear extension becomes a front extension. This could have happened to the camera you are interested in, or it could be an error in description. Either way, it is good news the track is included. If it is the original track, Kodak stamped matching numbers into the end of the bed and the end of the track where the two join. Even if the numbers don't match, it may still be a usable combination. Midwest Photo would be another place to check for a used lensboard.

Nick Morris
28-Nov-2003, 16:16
Mike, The source for lensboards I mentioned earlier is Stephen Shuart, not Stuart, ( www.stephenshuart.com ). The one I got one from him fit perfectly. I have bought some from others that were too thick, and a little too big; had to trim and adjust the sliding lensboard catch to make it fit. I bought my rear extension rails after I bought the camera from a different source, no matching numbers, and there is a slight catch when the rear standard of the camera first enters the teeth of the rear rail, but it hasn't been a problem. You will likely need the extension for full use of 450mm lens. I've seen where people have called the front rails "front extension rails" (or rack), but that is really just a part of the camera that is connected to the base with a hinge, which allows the camera to be folded up for easier storage. The rear extension rail is a separate piece (which is one reason why it isn't always found with the camera) and is screwed to the rear of the camera base. Another piece that is often not found with 2Ds is the sliding tripod block. This is a nice thing to have for a 2D. There three slots that run along the sides of the rails; one is the front standard, one for the rear standard, and one for the tripod block. The block allows for positioning the camera over the tripod at different points for better balance, and I find, better overall stability. I have really enjoyed my 2D, and hope you find equal enjoyment.

Mike Troxell
28-Nov-2003, 17:58
Thanks. I found the Stephen Shuart site (had been searching for Stuart) and the lensboard:

6" B&J, Eastman, and Ansco (w/finish$28) $16

I'll call them Monday and order a lensboard. Thanks for all the help from everyone.

Todd Wright
1-Dec-2003, 06:32
Contact Richard Ritter www.lg4mat.net. He can make an adapter lens board to fit your camera. He also has lens boards that are the old style and look alot nicer then the ply wood boards.

Jim Galli
1-Dec-2003, 12:32
Mike, 6X6 lens boards with great big holes left over from some previous giant lens come up all the time on feebay and nobody usually wants them. They're cheap and the perfect starting place to "manufacture" your own 6X6 to 4X4 adapter board. On the Deardorff I RARELY use the big boards. Everything is mounted in 4X4 (except a few previously mentioned giants) and gets shared between 4X5, 5X7, and 8X10 and sometimes larger. 6X6 boards are also easy to make yourself if you have a router table. Look into packard shutters if the 2D doesn't already have one. That way you can have some fun experimenting with some of the many "barrel" lenses that go for cheap. Like 15" Ilex Process Paragons for 36 bucks. A great little coated Tessar.