PDA

View Full Version : Pyrocat-HD Questions, take 2

Peter Witkop
26-Nov-2003, 21:41
I just finished my first processing run with FP4+ and Pyrocat-HD. I was initially concerned about the high speed of the CPE2, but it seems this may not be a large issue, at least from my frist look at the negs. My question now is about stain. Just what should I be looking for? Except for a pinkish base wich I'm attributing to nearly exausted fixer (Ilford Hypam), and the negs looking a little more brown than my FP4 negs in preceptol. Is this slight brown tint the stain? Also I was a little unsure of the pink base color too, as the rinse water came out with a slight pink tint as well, wich was new and I wasn't sure if that was had anything to do with the developer or not. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Peter

Michael Kadillak
26-Nov-2003, 22:03
Read Sandy King's article at unblinkingeye.com and on page three he goes into great detail about your question on the unique properties of the brownish pyrocat stain. The subject of the speed of the rotary processor is interesting, because Sandy highly recommends very slow speed (my CPP2 bearly rotates) or the adding of a chemical to compensate.

Cheers!

Francis Abad
27-Nov-2003, 02:24
The light brown tint of your negatives is the stain. I use fresh fixer every time I develop (max. 4 sheets of 8x10 per session) and I do not notice any residual colour on the negative base.

matt stanton
27-Nov-2003, 15:34
I suspect that you may get better stain with reduced agitation, at least this seems to be the case with tray and tank development.The pyrocat hd stain is less obvious than pmk but just as effective.

CP Goerz
27-Nov-2003, 16:21
The pinkish stain is rather bothersome if you plan to use multigrade paper as it will needlessly increase the contrast. Maybe use good fixer and let it work and then wash a little longer.

CP Goerz.

Robert Shimmon
29-May-2005, 07:41
I received about equal staining with both my Uniroller/Drum combination and tray processing. with 5x7 mil 320 Tri-x. Interestingly enough the times were simailar as well. I started with 13 min. A quarter strength stop bath or water only, helps the staining develop and set in my opinion. Pyrocat-HD does not block the highlights from my experience.