PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid advice

John Conway
13-Feb-2012, 13:04
Before I even ask the question, I want to explain what it is I am doing. I am having fun experimenting with outdated Polaroid film. I even have a box on the way that expired in 1981. Hey, its cheap and every box is another mystery. It also allows me to work with my view cameras and see the results quickly and make notes(with pencil in a little notebook the old school way) The one problem I am having is overall low contrast, with the exception of 51 film. The 57 is the worst. I'm trying different things , with some improvement, but not good enough. Any suggestions are welcome.

BrianShaw
13-Feb-2012, 13:18
Try longer development.

But you might want to reduce the frustration and shoot some film in the near future. There are lots (too many) uncontrolled variables related to outdated Polaroid film.

But if you insist on pursuing Polaroid... try some T-52. It had a really wide grey-scale and was lovely, simply lovely.

RawheaD
13-Feb-2012, 13:33
I just read somewhere recently that T-57 looked good when EI=600.

John Conway
13-Feb-2012, 14:24
Brian, I am increasing development time at 10 second increases. I just came in from the yard with three 57 prints at 20, 30 and 40 second development times. The 40 second is the best. My indoor tests show 40 seconds is the best as well.I shoot regular film but this polaroid project of mine is for fun and cheap view camera practice.I never really used movements much in the past. You are right about the uncontrollable variables, but I have seen some very interesting results from old Polaroid. It is the mystery that makes it fun. This 57 stuff is the cheapest, one unopened box for seven bucks, and another for ten bucks. So I figured it would be a good place to start. I do have some 52 and sepia 56 as well for later. Rawhead, the 600 EI is where I am at with the indoor shots, actually 640.Don't ask me to explain it, but it works.

William McEwen
13-Feb-2012, 14:51
Might try heating it a little in the microwave prior to development. Not sure what effect that might have, but you never know...

John Conway
13-Feb-2012, 15:23
Backyard landscape with 121 SA . The actual print looks pretty good. I think the scanning is not going to well for me here.

http://i44.tinypic.com/14bjme0.jpg

Darin Boville
13-Feb-2012, 15:31
Try longer development.

But you might want to reduce the frustration and shoot some film in the near future. There are lots (too many) uncontrolled variables related to outdated Polaroid film.

But if you insist on pursuing Polaroid... try some T-52. It had a really wide grey-scale and was lovely, simply lovely.

Oh, I loved Type 52. When I got back into photography in 1996 I shot nothing but Type 52. I put up a online exhibit called "52 Photographs"--there were only three dozen images but you get the reference.

[Note: Here's a blast from the past 15-years ago! These are a few of those Polaroids: http://www.artcreate.com/photo/gallery/darinb/

Anyway, I digress...what I wanted to mention was don't forget about letting the film warm up before processing it. I don't know where you are but I bet it is cold. Also don't forget that the gel inside will heat up slowly, so it can take a while. With many backs you can pull out the film without breaking the goo capsule so you can process the film in a batch later (after it warms up).

--Darin

John Conway
13-Feb-2012, 15:39
Hey Darin, it is cold here in NY and I have been developing without warming up the film. I attempted to link on to your 52 exhibit but I can't seem to get it. I very much want to see it. Did you show the actual prints ?

Darin Boville
13-Feb-2012, 17:29
Hey John,

Here's a better link: http://www.artcreate.com/photo/gallery/darinb/

Didn't show them physically in that show--it was an internet thing on a site from New York. Ahhh, those wild west early web days!

Temperature is critical to getting good development! :)

--Darin

John Conway
14-Feb-2012, 14:24
Thanks Darin, I checked out "52 Photographs" Very nice.

John Flavell
14-Feb-2012, 14:36
Darin:

Thanks for that link, those are nice images.

Darin Boville
14-Feb-2012, 14:37
Thanks Darin, I checked out "52 Photographs" Very nice.

Only a small sample, I'm afraid. The original site was on AOL when that was the big thing--maybe 1996. Then ArtCreate put up a few images. They also then put up a more extensive exhibit with cool color backgrounds but I can't find it now. Ahhh, the Internet. Here one day, gone the next...

Glad you liked it.

--Darin