PDA

View Full Version : Wet mounting directly on the Epson 750 glass

Allen in Montreal
11-Feb-2012, 16:39
Before I try it, I am wondering if anyone else has wet mount mounted an 8x10 directly on the Epson glass and scanned?

mdm
11-Feb-2012, 17:27
The scanscience stuff will be a lot less messy than mineral oil.

Marizu
11-Feb-2012, 17:38
I have done it.

I have always had issues with newton rings when scanning 10x8 on th V700. This was the main reason for trying it.
I have a sheet of betterscanning glass that doesn't eliminate the rings for me.

I tried to seal the scanner glass to the plastic using 'scanning tape' (can't remember which).
I used Kami fluid.
I placed the neg directly on the glass and place mylar on top of the neg.
Despite trying to migrate them out, I found that I had a lot of tiny bubbles in the scans so I haven't bothered since.
It involved a lot of cleaning up and I was unconvinced ot my ability to seal the scanner bed reliably.

In fact, due to this issue, I haven't shot much 10x8 film since :(

Sent from my MK16i using Tapatalk

Ari
11-Feb-2012, 20:41
Allen, if you're going to try it, make sure, as Marizu says, to seal the scanner glass with tape.
Or you can see if Doug at BetterScanning will make you an 8x10 holder :)

Allen in Montreal
11-Feb-2012, 22:20
Allen, if you're going to try it, make sure, as Marizu says, to seal the scanner glass with tape.
Or you can see if Doug at BetterScanning will make you an 8x10 holder :)

I have a betterscanning enroute.
But from my testing to date, my scanner is sharpest right on the glass.
I read people finding the sweet spot at various mm above the glass, but mine seems to be razor sharp smack on the glass.

I have a small supply of oil mounting stuff left over from the Linotype (God I wish I never sold that!)
and after wet scanning on that, should be snap, if the cheaper Epson materials can stand up to it.
I placed an order today with Scan Science as their materials are said to be far less corrosive.

I think with time, there is another Heidelberg or maybe a Howtek in my future. :D :D