PDA

View Full Version : darkroom assistance...are you up to it?

Jon Wilson
10-Feb-2012, 22:14
I need guidance. I have the "start" of what I believe is a very nice darkroom and studio. It would be nice if the studio was larger or the darkroom better organized, but it is as they say..."if a frog had wings..." This "design" is what we have....it is situated in a converted garage. But, I am a newbie to the darkroom. I also learn better with an "on hands" approach to developing my abilities. Here is the deal, I have an 8x10 and a 4x5 enlargers set up. I have a 5x7 in the wings. Would you like to "teach me"? You will be able to use my darkroom etc. in exchange for your helping me with some "on hands" guidance. Help me learn how to do enlarging and other darkroom work. If you are interested, let me know. Thanks.

BTW, maybe we can schedule an Eddie Gunk shoot west of the Mississippi and if we are really lucky, maybe someone will come.:eek:

Any takers? Thoughts? Kegger time? Any interest in Option I or II? Let me know. Jon

Vaughn
10-Feb-2012, 22:22
A Noob with an 8x10 enlarger, and cameras up to 11x14!

Where in Idaho? I occasionally get to Spokane (once or twice a year), so if you are anywhere near there in the panhandle, I might be able to drop by. I have never enlarged an 8x10.

Vaughn

Jon Wilson
10-Feb-2012, 22:24
Boise...It is pretty sick what I have accumulated, but it is cheaper than therapy....or at least I use to think so. :}

Vaughn
10-Feb-2012, 22:33
Boise would be too much of a stretch -- oh, well.

But have fun!

Jon Wilson
10-Feb-2012, 22:38
Oh come on....come over to the DARK side. The water is fine.

Erik Larsen
10-Feb-2012, 22:40
Jon, I would love to help you out as I believe we use similar enlargers, but you are about 600 miles away:). If you are ever heading east let me know and bring some negatives (4x5 up to 11x14) and I can show you the ropes with regards to enlarging and developing prints with the methods I use. Or, and I can show you some alt process (carbon, platinum, kallitype) printed with a plate burner. My only request is when you have printed a masterpiece I get a copy:)
Regards
Erik

Jon Wilson
10-Feb-2012, 22:48
That will be great Erik and when my wife and I get down to Moab again, hopefully we can coordinate a get together. I also have friends who live in Colorado Springs and attend the Wine Fest there almost every Sept. Maybe we can work our schedules to coordinate. Jon

Erik Larsen
10-Feb-2012, 22:58
That will be great Erik and when my wife and I get down to Moab again, hopefully we can coordinate a get together. I also have friends who live in Colorado Springs and attend the Wine Fest there almost every Sept. Maybe we can work our schedules to coordinate. Jon

The light's great in Moab this time of year:) my schedule is pretty open as Im self employed so let me know your plans and I'm sure we can make it happen.
Regards
Erik

Jon Wilson
10-Feb-2012, 23:12
We are going to Yellowstone the 3rd week of March so I don't think we could swing one to Moab too. But, let's see if we can't make a trip work. It would be great. Jon

Erik Larsen
10-Feb-2012, 23:31
Whatever's convenient for you Jon, I'm easy.
Regards
Erik

ic-racer
11-Feb-2012, 07:32
You might get better results with an offer the other way around. That is, offer (with cash) to go to an experienced darkroom worker's place. For example a hands-on workshop.

MV Photo Labs (http://www.mvlabs.com/?page_id=27) offers a darkroom course by Jim Megargee. Jim may or may not be the guy making the big enlargements with the 8x10 Durst L184 in the James Nachtwey video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvnaPZWrt9E).

Maybe waving cash in front of Clyde Butcher (http://clydebutcher.com/the-artist.cfm) will get him to take you into his darkroom for some hands on work with an 8x10 enlarger.

I also suspect that if you commission an enlargement of one of your own 8x10 negatives from Bob Carnie (http://www.elevatorworkshops.com/carnielectures.shtml#) he will let you in the darkroom and show you some stuff. Also, waving $$$ may get him to give you a fantastic hands-on 8x10 enlarging experience.

ic-racer
11-Feb-2012, 08:09
I can post everything you need to know right here:

8x10 negatiave, emulsion down centered in the glass carrier
Easel blades set to 9" x 12"
300mm lens
Project image so it falls about 1/8" to 1/4" overlapping the blades
Focus and re adjust head height as needed (when you re-focus the image size changes)
Stop down lens to f16
Set the head as follows:
White light lever = OFF
Density Dial = 0
Yellow Dial =45
Magenta Dial = 24
Cyan Dial = 0

Expose a piece of 11x14 Ilford Multigrade Fiber paper for 12 seconds.

11x14 Tray 1 = Pour 660ml of Dektol Stock Solution (make per instructions on bag) in a measuring vessel then add water to make 2000ml. Develop the paper for 2 minutes.
Tray 2 = 2 liters stop bath for 30 seconds
Tray 3 = Pour 200ml Ilford Rapid fix from the bottle to a measuring vessel and, add water to make 2000ml. Fix for one minute exact with a timer
Tray 4 = water.

Dry print with a microwave or hair dryer or print dryer.
If it is too dark divide the time by 1.4
If it is too light multiply the time by 1.4

Once you get a print that is not too dark or light analyze the contrast. If it is too contrasty set Yellow to 64 and Magenta to 12 and repeat.

If it is too flat and lacking contrast set Yellow to 24 and Magenta to 42.

Once you have the correct exposure and contrast, make a good print and wash for 60 minutes and air dry.

Roger Vadim
11-Feb-2012, 11:13

300mm lens
Focus and re adjust head height as needed (when you re-focus the image size changes)
Stop down lens to f16
Set the head as follows:
White light lever = OFF
Density Dial = 0
Yellow Dial =45
Magenta Dial = 24
Cyan Dial = 0

11x14 Tray 1 = Pour 660ml of Dektol Stock Solution (make per instructions on bag) in a measuring vessel then add water to make 2000ml. Develop the paper for 2 minutes.
Tray 3 = Pour 200ml Ilford Rapid fix from the bottle to a measuring vessel and, add water to make 2000ml. Fix for one minute exact with a timer
Tray 4 = water.

Once you get a print that is not too dark or light analyze the contrast. If it is too contrasty set Yellow to 64 and Magenta to 12 and repeat.

Once you have the correct exposure and contrast, make a good print and wash for 60 minutes and air dry.

!!great post!!!:cool:
this should be helpfull:)

Asher Kelman
11-Feb-2012, 11:19
Magnificent! :)

Jon Wilson
11-Feb-2012, 14:19

300mm lens
Stop down lens to f16
Set the head as follows:
White light lever = OFF
Density Dial = 0
Yellow Dial =45
Magenta Dial = 24
Cyan Dial = 0

Tray 4 = water.

This is really helpful. Your assistance and that provided by everyone else is appreciated.

I will use your concise steps as my guide and will make more time to be in my darkroom.

I agree money talks....My most limited commodity at present is time. My wife limits my money. :eek: BUT, after tonight's lottery drawing when I win :D Those worries will be gone. :cool:

Jon

Pawlowski6132
11-Feb-2012, 20:17
Jon, you've been a member of this forum for a long time. How have you developed film and printed for the last eight years??????

Jon Wilson
11-Feb-2012, 21:03
I develop my B&W in my JOBO or the local lab processes some of my B&W when I am in a time crunch and all of my color negs and chromes...they scan that film and have done all of my printing. I sure miss cibrachrome.

My B&W film development process is fine, although I am sure it can be improved and I develop most of my film with D76H that I mix. I did recently purchase several "bags" of Xtol, but have not tried it yet.

I just have not done any appreciable work in the printing phase. I enjoy the methodical pace of LF and developing my film in a JOBO system. It is a pleasure...at times, to get away from the rest of the world and just do it. I also know that with practice and guidance, my printing will be good. I just get frustrated with the failed attempts/learning curve. In an effort to improve that, I took an all too brief of a printing course last Fall that is offered locally. It just is not enough.

I know the B&W printing process for me will improve with quality time spent in the darkroom...I just don't want to establish poor, nonproductive procedures, and getdiscouraged with my lack of progress.

I will follow Dale's guide and see the results. It is an excellent bench mark to work from. I also believe I can track down I local person who use to run the local photography store and see if he would be available for some "one on one" and evaluate my current layout.

Again, I appreciate everyone's input, insight, and assistance. I am going to take affirmative steps in the next few weeks to do some "proper" printing or at least improvements for me.

Jon

Jon Wilson
11-Feb-2012, 23:03
Have you checked with Tom Cooper at Boise Photo & Darkroom Supply? If they are still in business he would be a good place to start as he had a rental darkroom, knows most of the good Photographers in the area and should be able to point you in the right direction.

I have been gone for a few years but he had a good shop, was knowledgeable and carried supplies as well.

That's the man. Tom shut his doors about 3 years ago. After he shut his doors, he has sold me some of my equipment. I too agree he would be an excellent resource.