PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles

false_Aesthetic
10-Feb-2012, 08:04
Hey-0,

I'm wondering if there are people in/around Los Angeles interested in studio visits.

I have a conceptual-art background and am more interested in talking about the motivation/thought behind the work and less about the technology or technique the work.

I show you mine, you show me yours.

Holla!

ROL
10-Feb-2012, 09:55
Please elaborate. I don't see the point of studio visits if you're not interested in technique, and I doubt the artist would either. All of the museums offer lecture series (some free) with their artists. Art conclaves like the Brewery have (or used to) open studio visit weeks a couple times a year. Check out the art schools (Pasadena, Cal Arts, etc.), and the LA Burning Man (http://www.laburningman.com/) scene (Smash, Do Labs). There is no dearth of "conceptual" art, or false aesthetics, in LA. :D

false_Aesthetic
10-Feb-2012, 10:43
I'm not interested in a conversation that goes:

"Why don't you try this paper." or that asks what kind of lens I'm using. To me that's
like asking a painter if he used Old Holland, Gamblin or Windsor Newton oil paints.

In other words, by now I have enough experience printing to say quite confidently, I print this way because I want to. I'm interested in the conversation that comes after that. The conversation about content and about conceptual motivation.

BrianShaw
10-Feb-2012, 10:57
Sounds very intersting but I'm out. I primarily know how to talk gear and state whether I like something or not. I would bore you with my shallowness. Good luck though... I'm sure a kindred spirit is out there.

DrTang
10-Feb-2012, 12:30
Yikes..that's the boring part

that's the first page of the exhibition catalog I always skip over..or the giant text thing on the wall of the exhibition I never read

I'm not interested in a conversation that goes:

I'm interested in the conversation that comes after that. The conversation about content and about conceptual motivation.

Michael Clark
20-Feb-2012, 10:08
Sounds interesting to me, that is the same line of thinking the late Per Volguartz was involved in with his minimalist approach to Photography.

Mike

BrianShaw
5-Jul-2012, 06:23
That is a very profound statement... considering that you consider yourself shallow. Perhaps you underestimate yourself.