PDA

View Full Version : Tetanal E6 3-solutions system

gliderbee
9-Feb-2012, 09:22
I recently developed my first 8x10 Fuji Provia 100F with this system, as the film was expired and I wanted to test if it was still ok, and it seems it is (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=86767).

What I did was mixing 250ml of each solution and dumping it after use, since I had only one sheet to develop. I wanted to know though if I could have reused the solution. The question has been asked several times (one thread resurfaced here very recently) and the answers are not very conclusive and unisono, to say the least, so I asked Tetanal themselves, and here's a (IMO) very clear answer:

*********************Answer from Tetanal ********************
No, I wouldn't recommend to mix 1 liter and pour back the used solution into the bottles with working solution, for one reason: If by a misfortune the used mixture is contaminated then the total 1 liter is polluted.

Much better works your procedure to use 250 ml of each solution to develop a sheet film of 8"x10". You ask, if you could reuse the working solution.
Yes, you can reuse it. Let me explain.

In 1 liter of working solutions you can develop maximal 960 sq. inch of slide film, that means in 250 ml you can develop 240 sq. inch film. Your Fuji Provia 8"x10" is of 80 sq. inch surface area. Therefore you can use your 250 ml mix three times.

At your first processing cycle you have applied the processing times recommended in the instruction sheet.
At second processing cycle you have to increase the processing times a little bit, because the working soltions are weakened.

Before we are estimating the increasement of the processing times, let me explain a little bit of the Tetenal E6 3-bath process.
- The first developer (FD) is in effect a black & white developer, therefore you have to increase the FD time for used first developers.
- The colour developer is a very powerfull (high alcalinic) developer, which is strong enough for the second and third processing cycle and does not need increased processing times. Admittedly increased times are not harmfull to the quality of the processed slide.
- Finally the bleachfix (BX). The BX becomes weakened and therefore the processing times must be prolongated. The function of the BX is to bleach all the silver (which is produced during first and colour development) and then to fix all the silver. That means, when the BX has done his duty, no further alteration will occur to the colour slide. For example, you can treat a processed slide with fresh BX for 10 or 20 minutes and you will not detect a change. I would recommend to increase the BX by 1 minute after each cycle.
- For the stabilizer use always the same time.

Now to the first developer. We recommend to increase the FD time by 15 seconds for the second cycle additionally 15 seconds by the third cycle.

Good luck with E6 3-bath in the future!

Regards,
Stefan.

Lachlan 717
9-Feb-2012, 12:58
Thanks for posting this, Stefan.

Always good to get bespoke information direct from the manufacturer!

RawheaD
9-Feb-2012, 20:41
of course, if they tell you that, it means you can reuse it for twice that amount :D

alexn
9-Feb-2012, 21:02
I would say that they are conservative in how many re-uses are possible, having said that I wouldn't risk an 8x10 slide on that hunch.

gliderbee
14-Feb-2012, 14:25
As an addendum:

I asked for some more information about storing a used solution:

Question:

One more question: suppose I have developed one 8x10 sheet in 250ml solutions, so two more 8x10 (or 8 4x5, right ?) sheets to go. Can I keep these used solutions in 250ml bottles (with some Protectan for good measure), to develop the other sheets later (when they are exposed :-)) ? If so, how long would the solution stay usable, before turning bad ?

Answer received today:

yes, you can develop two more 8x10 (or eight 4x5) sheets by the used solutions. I wouldn't recommend to do more than 3 processing cycles, because during processing especially the first developer becomes weakened additionally by the absorption of oxygen (from the air).
Storing used solutions is a little bit complicated. The FD is the most sensitive part of the E6-solutions, followed by CD and least the BX and very least the stabilizer.
I would store the used FD and used CD in 250 ml glas bottles, if the bottles are filled up to the top you don't need Protectan. Glas is the best protection against attack of oxygen. BX and STAB can be stored in plastic bottles. If you store your used working solutions as explained, you should develop your third 8x10 sheet not later than 2 months.

Stefan.

SpeedGraphicMan
14-Feb-2012, 15:14
Test... and Test again.