PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid p/n 55. Getting a useable print and neg in one pull

Jeff_1630
22-Nov-2003, 20:57
I thinking about starting a project using Polariod 4x5 film and specifically 55. I was hoping to get a useable print and a negative that could be used for scanning (it could be a little thin). Reading up in AA Polaroid Land Photography, Ansel talks about pre exposure. I'm wondering if this is worth trying 55 to get better neg density.

From what I can gather, you could expose (I assume a midtone, I'm not sure here) to Zone III which according to AA's data is about were black with slight texture is for the print. In essence (I think) you would give some density to the neg (which gives density at zone II) while giving very little to the print. After pre exposure, you would then expose at a more normal amount, giving full density to the print and negative.

Like I said, I'm just fleshing this out in my head and thought I'd think out loud. Any thoughts? Am I crazy?

thanks

Frank Petronio
23-Nov-2003, 12:46
Hi Jeff, didn't know you used the big guns too. I used to shoot a lot of 55 and all I can say is try it as it can't hurt to shoot a few sheets each way. I suspect it will be flatter and useful in strong light. I find my old 55 negs shot at ASA 33 scan just fine, if not better than conventional film.

steve simmons
23-Nov-2003, 14:03
Pre or post exposure is usually used to control contrast rather than increase film speed. Most people who work with this material use an EI of 64-80 to get a good print and 25-40 for a good negative. Pre/post exposure does not solve this problem as far as I know.

steve simmons

JohnnyV
23-Nov-2003, 19:23
In a nutshell - over expose by one stop for a great negative...the polaroid print will look blown out.

George dewolfe has written a few articals/posts on the subject:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint/message/39

------------------------------------------------------------

With this link click on the button below "FREE TUTORIAL DOWNLOAD
FOR LARGE-FORMAT FIELD PHOTOGRAPHY" it will down load a PDF with the last part about Pola 55:

http://www.georgedewolfe.com/largeformatpage.html

Jeff_1630
24-Nov-2003, 15:49
Frank, I've only dabbled in LF. The big time crunch is darkroom so I'm hoping the Polaroid will help me get more use out of my LF gear. I've got a project that just cries out to be shot LF.

Steve, yeah it's a wierd idea. The big problem I see is getting enought density to the neg with pre exposure and still not blow out the print highlights. But, like Frank says, it can't hurt to try a few. It's most likely best to use 52 for a print and then shoot 55 for a neg. By the way Steve, your book has always been a big help, thanks!

Johnny, thanks for the link!