PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation needed for VOIP phone and apple extreme

kevs-2323668
8-Feb-2012, 09:02
have been with Packet 8 phones for a few years, but they say their phones have problems with Apple Extreme which I just bought.

So I need to change companies. Anyone have some good recommendations. thanks

meerkat
8-Feb-2012, 14:15
http://forums.macnn.com/92/networking/458022/apple-router-does-work-my-voip/

...not sure what this has to do with large format photography(?)

kevs-2323668
8-Feb-2012, 15:50
thanks, well not much info on this. so this forum has a business section. Maybe someone can help. mac nn not doing the job...

jp
8-Feb-2012, 18:26
You shouldn't needlessly run VOIP through a wifi router (To appease the KISS principle, and for best quality). Packet8 is likely a typical VOIP provider and switching companies won't fix things. Bypassing the apple router that's the apparent cause of your problem would.

D. Bryant
8-Feb-2012, 22:19
have been with Packet 8 phones for a few years, but they say their phones have problems with Apple Extreme which I just bought.

So I need to change companies. Anyone have some good recommendations. thanks

Take a look at the Ooma Telo.

http://www.ooma.com/products/ooma-telo

I have one and it works very well.

meerkat
9-Feb-2012, 02:45
Take a look at the Ooma Telo.

http://www.ooma.com/products/ooma-telo

I have one and it works very well.

That's the info I gave him (via a link to a thread in macnn) but he didn't seem to understand that. :confused:

kevs-2323668
9-Feb-2012, 09:15
Mererkat, I started that thread on Macnn, so I understood it. You have bad attitude -- please do not respond to anymore of my post in the future. thanks.

D- thanks, I may give them a call based on your and T's recommendations. So no problem with quality of sounds or other issues? I have to change because of packet 8 does not work with Apple if you can believe that.

Funny, you Google voip reviews and there are like 5 sites and Ooma does not come up any anything/ anywhere. How did you hear of Ooma?

Packet 8 includes the adapter for free, I think Vonage does too, not Ooma?

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
9-Feb-2012, 09:44
I currently use Ooma (they come up for sale frequently enough on Woot, which is where I got mine), and have used both Vonage and Voicepulse previously. In my experience I have found that Ooma's quality is a little lower than either Vonage and Voicepulse, however the price (Federal and state taxes only, so $3.30/month for me) can't be beat. That said, international calls on Ooma are a bit more expensive than either Vonage or Voicepulse (they have a semi-hidden connection fee), and if you buy their "premier package" the price is very similar.

D. Bryant
9-Feb-2012, 09:47
In my experience I have found that Ooma's quality is a little lower than either Vonage and Voicepulse,

Perhaps you had some QOS issues through your router. It can make a difference for VOIP. I do nothing special for my Oomaa Telo and quality is excellent.

kevs-2323668
9-Feb-2012, 11:55
D, I don't know what that means, QOS, Packet 8 just says they have issues with Apple's router. You think the router will have issues with other/ all voips? Guy, T, on other thread says he does fine with Apple Extreme and Ooma.
Is the Telo, a separate fee? So you have excellent sound, but Jason, you found the sound was not as good as the others used?
$3.30 month? how did that get so low? I do see they advertise a free program.
How hear of Ooma? are they well known? I have only heard of Vonage and Packet 8, and on review sites Ooma never comes up at all.

kevs-2323668
9-Feb-2012, 11:59
Guys, how is there sales/ support quality?

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
9-Feb-2012, 12:23
D. Bryant was telling me that I might have QOS issues, not you, as that could be one explanation for why I found Ooma to have slightly inferior sound quality to the others. Note however that I wrote slightly inferior, I like Ooma quite a bit, and am not going to move on anytime soon.

In any case, yes, the $3.30 is the "free" version, you just have to pay taxes, plus the initial purchase of the box. I first saw Ooma on Woot (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=woot), never heard of it before that.

D. Bryant
9-Feb-2012, 12:30
Guys, how is there sales/ support quality?

Great!

QoS is short for Quality of Service. It's a standard to allow prioritization of packets so devices can receive the network resources that help ensure high user experience.

For home users this typically means a setting is made in their network router.

kevs-2323668
9-Feb-2012, 12:37
what is whoo?!
D, did not understand your post.

Have you tested their quality of sales /support?
Just got off phone with packet 8, always draining their tech guys are. They may send a new unit, but are they worth spending $30 months for?

meerkat
9-Feb-2012, 13:17
Mererkat, I started that thread on Macnn, so I understood it. You have bad attitude -- please do not respond to anymore of my post in the future. thanks.

D- thanks, I may give them a call based on your and T's recommendations. So no problem with quality of sounds or other issues? I have to change because of packet 8 does not work with Apple if you can believe that.

Funny, you Google voip reviews and there are like 5 sites and Ooma does not come up any anything/ anywhere. How did you hear of Ooma?

Packet 8 includes the adapter for free, I think Vonage does too, not Ooma?

Sorry I was only trying to help. The thread mentioned Ooma as an option. But you replied with a cryptic response that I truly couldn't understand: "thanks, well not much info on this. so this forum has a business section. Maybe someone can help. mac nn not doing the job..." That's not much of an explanation and pretty difficult to decipher. And so I assumed you didn't look at the thread, that's all.

My attitude is fine. I was sincerely trying to be helpful (and also didn't honestly understand what it had to do with the business end of large format photography, something you've said in other threads that you are now trying out.) Maybe take a little more time to explain yourself clearly and concisely. It can be hard to read what someone is really thinking through a brief forum post, and that's what will cause communication breakdowns every time.

Anyway, sorry that you read it differently.

p.s., I also took an effort to help you in your questions about E6 and C41 film. I suggested The Icon since A&I stopped processing reversal film. Remember? This question and that one about film are the only two responses I've made to you, ever. And both were an honest attempt to help.

wclark5179
9-Feb-2012, 13:23
Question for you guys, to help me learn more about your situation.

I have high speed internet service provided by Comcast. I upload multiple image files to my lab for processing.

My phone is cell only. I use Sprint.

Why do you need additional phone service.

I don't have a land line. Do I need it? I don't think I do.

When I need to "fax" I make a pdf and send via email.

Tell me what Am I missing?

Thanks.

kevs-2323668
9-Feb-2012, 16:57
Ok, meerkat, it's cool. I was taken aback by the "why post this on large format" forum.
I figure why not. The phone is as important as the camera for a photo business. Anyway, we are cool. I just notice a lot of cranky people on this forum -- especially my first post. no problem!