PDA

View Full Version : Help...Omega D5500

rocha26
7-Feb-2012, 19:54
I recently obtained this free Omega D5500 enlarger with no manual. I was hoping someone can help me answer some questions that I have.

The first picture I have included is the enlarger that I have, the second picture is a picture I got from the Internet (for reference).

As you can see the enlarger that I have has metal plates holding the lamp house and no lever to move the "head" up or down. Do you think the previous owner had a color head? Is that why the metal plates are there? If someone out there has a manual for this enlarger I would appreciate if I could have a copy to better understand how this enlarger works.

Thanks

ic-racer
7-Feb-2012, 19:58
This enlarger could be set up to use the 'standard' omega negative holders or a set of negative holders unique to the D5500.
Yours will take the holders unique to the D5500, but you need the cassette that the holders slide into. I don't have the manual on PDF, otherwise I'd send it. You can get the manual off ebay, though I could probably tell you most of what you need to know.

Does the column slide up and down easily? Most of them need new rubber wheels. Other than that it is a very solid enlarger. The most advanced enlarger Omega ever made.

http://static.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/39578.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/DSCF5061.jpg

Robert Perrin
8-Feb-2012, 00:36
rocha26, I've got a bunch of of D5500's and parts. If you need the carrier, let me know what format(s). I don't know off hand if I have a manual but a search for Omega D5500 manual turned up some sources. Here's one: http://stores.ebay.com/KHB-Photografix?_trksid=p4340.l2563.

al olson
8-Feb-2012, 09:34
I should mention that on another thread, ic-racer provided a step-by-step sequence of photos showing how to replace the rubber wheels with rubber gaskets at a fraction of the cost to purchase these parts outright. My wheels had disintegrated to the point that they were no longer functional. I was able to walk through this task successfully.

rocha26
8-Feb-2012, 19:02
I went through the boxes that came with the enlarger and I was able to find two cassettes and the negative slides (as shown on the pictures).

My next question how do you place a negative into these negative holders and into the cassette. This may sound like a rediculous question but I'm use to Beseler's negative carriers.

Ic-racer: The enlarger slides up and down very smoothly.

Robert Perrin
8-Feb-2012, 23:00
To use the D5500 negative carriers, hinge the carrier open. Place the pair of masks in the carrier. They are located with shallow pins and held in place magnetically. Place the negative on the bottom mask and close the carrier. Slide the carrier into the wide slot end of the cassette.

ic-racer
9-Feb-2012, 19:06
Like Robert writes, the negative carriers slide into the slot. They are held tight by the two metal springs you can see in there. In that other enlarger you posted, the weight of the head holds them flat.

You have to loosen the 4 locking thumbscrews and lift you head up a little to get that cassette in there, but once it is in there it should stay there for good. After you tighten the thumbscrews the head should not touch the cassette, thus allowing it to freely rotate.

rocha26
10-Feb-2012, 23:33
Thanks you all for your comment, tips, and suggestions they were very helpful. Now its time for me to put this enlarger to work.

Thanks again