PDA

View Full Version : Goerz Apochromat 9.5"/9 Red Dot Artar ?

gliderbee
7-Feb-2012, 11:33
Is this lens (in Compur shutter, some light cleaning marks) worth $ 280 ? I'm tempted ... I might sell my Fujinon 250mm and buy this one as a replacement. For what I've read, it has a larger image circle, so would be better for 8x10. Am I correct ?

Thanks,
Stefan.

Steve Hamley
7-Feb-2012, 12:38
No. An Artar sharply covers 46 degrees, or about the same as its focal length. So it isn't IMO an 8x10 lens. The shortest Artar Goerz recommended for 8x10 at infinity was 16-1/2". The 9-1/2" Artar might possibly illuminate 8x10, but I doubt it.

As far as covering more than the Fuji, are you maybe thinking Dagor?

You should be thinking Dagor (80+ degrees fully stopped down), first gen Fuji-W (80 degrees), Apo-Sironar-S or Apo Symmar-L (75 degrees).

Cheers, Steve

E. von Hoegh
7-Feb-2012, 14:08
240 is a nice moderate wide on 8x10. I use a Dagor, which gives some - not much - movement. The coverage of the Artars was usually specified at 1:1. Halve that for infinity. The 80 plus coverage of Dagors is very optimistic, mine covers 8x10 sharply but not much more. I'd keep the Fuji, if I had it.

John Kasaian
7-Feb-2012, 15:32
14" is as short as I've gone with an Artar on an 8x10. A 9-1/2 probably won't cover---in fact I'd be surprised if it did. Have you read abything about them on the LF Home Page found on the blue banner up at the top pf this page ^^^^^? Theres lots of good lens data to be found there! :)

Steve Hamley
7-Feb-2012, 15:41
EvH, which Dagor/vintage do you have (curious)? My 9-1/2" Gold Dot will cover 8x10 with an inch or so of rise before vignetting - of course I am usually shooting B&W and contact printing using it.

Problem is that Goerz was optimistic about coverage rather than conservative, which most of us are used to. And a lot of us stretch the limits of Dagors.

And on top of all that, there are Dagors and then there are Dagors. Different glass, different coatings, different barrels/shutters over almost a century. Some will cover considerably more (or less) than others.

Cheers, Steve

E. von Hoegh
8-Feb-2012, 07:46
EvH, which Dagor/vintage do you have (curious)? My 9-1/2" Gold Dot will cover 8x10 with an inch or so of rise before vignetting - of course I am usually shooting B&W and contact printing using it.

Problem is that Goerz was optimistic about coverage rather than conservative, which most of us are used to. And a lot of us stretch the limits of Dagors.

And on top of all that, there are Dagors and then there are Dagors. Different glass, different coatings, different barrels/shutters over almost a century. Some will cover considerably more (or less) than others.

Cheers, Steve

I have two, a CPG Berlin 240mm # 260383, and a CPG New York # 226???. The coverage is about equal, they give sharp coverage of 8x10 straight on, with room for a wee bit of rise before the corners go too soft. For contacts, they give acceptable images right out until the corners start to darken, maybe 2" of rise.

CP Goerz
8-Feb-2012, 08:00
The 250 Fuji doesn't that wide an expanse of coverage, less than an equivalent artar of the same focal length, 10 3/4" red dot will be sharper and have better color reproduction than the fuji.

Lynn Jones
9-Feb-2012, 15:30
Steve's first comment is right. The Fujinon 250 f 6.7 is an incredible lens covering 80 degrees (10x12). The Fujinon f6.3 (64 deg) just barely covers 8x10. When Fuji "improved" the 250 to f6.3, the professional photographers raised so much hell for narrowing the angle that Fuji re-released the f6.7 and its wider coverage. For some years both were available.

Lynn