PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Schneider Angulon question

rob749
5-Feb-2012, 06:21
Hi all,
I recently decided to take the leap into LF and this is my first post on the forum. So please be patient with a newbie.
I have made some purchases of SH equipment and have a question concerning the Schneider Angulon 90/f8 I have received. Going by the serial number the lens dates from around 1973 and is in very good condition. However at f8 (Copal 0 shutter) I notice the aperture blades are not fully retracted but the aperture lever can be moved approx 5mm beyond f8 at which point the blades are fully retracted. As I have not experienced this with other small format lenses I have owned I am wondering if this is normal for this type of lens and can I be confident the apertures are accurate.

Thanks

Rob

Jim Noel
5-Feb-2012, 08:57
I have never seen one of htese lenses mounted in a Copal. They most commonly were in rime set Compur shutters. I must presume that when remounted in the Copal the correct computations were made and that the iris must be closed slightly in order to produce the correct amount of light on the film plane.

rdenney
5-Feb-2012, 11:12
Was this an Angulon or a Super Angulon? The Angulon was an f/6.8 lens, not an f/8 lens. If it's an f/8 Super Angulon, the original version was made for a #00 shutter. When they started using a #0 shutter, the maximum aperture provided by the shutter is larger than is accommodated by the lens, so the scale will not make use of the full mechanical diaphragm range.

If it's really an Angulon, the shutter may have been replaced with one that has the wrong scale.

My bet is that it's a Super Angulon.

Rick "noting that shutters are used for a wide range if lenses" Denney

rob749
5-Feb-2012, 12:11
rdenney is correct it is a super angulon and the shutter is a copal N 0.0 please excuse my mistake. Does the operation I previously described seem correct for this lens/shutter ?

Thanks

IanG
5-Feb-2012, 13:07
At some point in the 70's these lenses were offered in Compur or Copal shutters and in the case of the 90mm SA it's the lens itself that restricts the maximum aperture, this is the case with the f6.8 Angulon, so the shutter diapram may open wider but the rear of the front element is smaller.

Ian

rdenney
5-Feb-2012, 23:05
rdenney is correct it is a super angulon and the shutter is a copal N 0.0 please excuse my mistake. Does the operation I previously described seem correct for this lens/shutter ?

Yes.

Rick "noting that a 90/5.6 also uses that same No. 0 shutter, and needs the bigger opening" Denney