PDA

View Full Version : QTR / Adobe Color Printing Utility.

false_Aesthetic
2-Feb-2012, 12:06
Hey,

I'm playing around with QTR for the first time in a very very long time.

I read over at their forum that Selecting "printer manages colors" in the print window isn't the same as "no color management."

Hunting around led me to the Adobe Color Printing Utility.

It's downloaded and I'm trying to print one of those test charts with it.

Unfortunately, each time I try to run a print, no printing actually happens. The paper just gets fed through.

OS 10.6.8
Adobe CS 5 12.0.2 (32bit)
Epson 4880 with UC PK inkset

Help?

sanking
2-Feb-2012, 13:57
Hey,

I'm playing around with QTR for the first time in a very very long time.

I read over at their forum that Selecting "printer manages colors" in the print window isn't the same as "no color management."

Hunting around led me to the Adobe Color Printing Utility.

It's downloaded and I'm trying to print one of those test charts with it.

Unfortunately, each time I try to run a print, no printing actually happens. The paper just gets fed through.

OS 10.6.8

Adobe CS 5 12.0.2 (32bit)
Epson 4880 with UC PK inkset

Help?

I tried that Adobe color utility and found it a nuisance.

To print with No Color Management with CS4 or CS5 try this.

1. Open your file, then Assign (NOT convert) a profile to it, such as sRGB, AdobeRGB, ProPhoto RGB, Grayscale 2.2, etc.

2. In the Photoshop Print dialog box, select Photoshop Manages Colors, choose the same profile you assigned to your target chart. Check Relative Colorimetric and leave Black Point Compensation unchecked.

This works for me with CS5 and OS 10.6.8 when printing with QTR. I do run PS in 64 bit but don't believe that would matter.

Sandy

false_Aesthetic
2-Feb-2012, 14:11
Sandy, this will work when I try to do a custom linearization?

sanking
2-Feb-2012, 15:43
Sandy, this will work when I try to do a custom linearization?

It works for me. However, one additional point. You must have your Color Settings in CS5 set for the color space you plan to use. You do this in File>Color Settings. I use Adobe RGB (1998) for color and Gray Gamma 2.2 for gray.

Now, when you open the file and go to Edit> Assign Profile you will be presented with three option. 1. Don't color manage this document. 2. Working RGB: Adobe RBG (1998), and 3. Assign Profile. (list of options). Make sure you select Option #2, not #3.

If you open a gray scale file and assign profile, your choice for Option 2 will be Working Gray: Gray Gamma 2.2 (or whatever you have your space set to in color settings).

I recently compared printing with CS3 using No Color Management and this routine for CS5 and got the same result with both a Gray Gamma 2.2 file and an RGB target. The routine is tedious compared to printing with CS3, but it is more convenient than using the Adobe Utility, at least IMO.

Sandy

false_Aesthetic
2-Feb-2012, 15:53
Thanks man knowing that you have that comparison makes me happy.

I just made a call to our tech people to see if I could get CS3 installed on a few of our machines. They just laughed at me.