PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about barrel lens

norm the storm
28-Jan-2012, 06:46
Hi everybody

I realize that many vintage lens are barrel lens. So, I have a Sinar F1, I saw interesting
lens on ebay, some tessar among others. Is it possible to mount a barrel lens with a shutter?

Ken Lee
28-Jan-2012, 06:49
Search for "Sinar Copal Shutter"

Jim Noel
28-Jan-2012, 08:44
You can always front mount a shutter, or have an adapter made to mount the lens on the front of a shutter. I have used both. More commonly I use a Galli shutter which is dirt cheap, simple and never fails because of a broken spring.

cdholden
28-Jan-2012, 09:32
You can always front mount a shutter, or have an adapter made to mount the lens on the front of a shutter. I have used both. More commonly I use a Galli shutter which is dirt cheap, simple and never fails because of a broken spring.

The only problem is that the flash sync requires alcohol. At that point, the timing isn't very reliable.

cdholden
28-Jan-2012, 09:37
Search for "Sinar Copal Shutter"

This is a great part of the Sinar system. They're not cheap, but worth the money. I don't mind using a lens cap for slower shots, but when I need the faster shutter speed, it opens up a lot of options as to what lenses can be used. Not all of mine are mounted in shutters of their own. It works well as long as the barrel stays up front and rear element doesn't reach back far enough to hit the shutter.
You will also find many of the lenses in DB Mount on Ebay are cheaper than their copal mounted versions.