PDA

View Full Version : Camera Value...

hand_of_ike
26-Jan-2012, 07:06
Hi,

Amongst my collection of cameras I have a Sinar F1. Someone has approached me to loan them this camera for a 6 months project; which I am happy to do. They want to offer me a percentage of the camera's worth as a fee. So I was wondering how much this camera should be priced at.

Sinar F1 with a Rodenstock 150mm f5.6 lens plus an extension bar - all in great working condition.

Many thanks

Paul

Ron Marshall
26-Jan-2012, 07:20
There is an F1 at KEH for $265, and a 150mm in the $400 range (assuming a sironar N not S).

BrianShaw
26-Jan-2012, 07:24
It might not matter to you, but many (most?) rental companies base their rental fee on the original price of the equipment, not current value (e.g. 10% of the original retail value).

BrianShaw
26-Jan-2012, 07:32
p.s. Samy's Camera rents Sinar. Why not lok at their rate and go from there?

http://www.samys.com/common/pdf_files/rental_2011.pdf

hand_of_ike
26-Jan-2012, 09:00
Thanks for the help so far...

Brain it's for a friend so not looking to make loads just want to get reasonable amount and the item covered properly in insurance terms...

Paul

BrianShaw
26-Jan-2012, 09:06
Well, Paul... had you said that initially I would suggest something different. If he/she is a friend, give him/her instruction so you are sure it gets used properly and loan it to them. Don't charge friends but get an agreement that states what is being loaned and when it will be returned and document the condition so if there is any accident/loss it can be reconcilled.

If you want to determine "insurance value", go to KEH (etc) and ebay completed sales and get the best sales history you are able to collect.

hand_of_ike
26-Jan-2012, 09:13
Thanks Brian, not a close friend and they have offered to pay upfront, not me offering it first. They want it for 6 months but are unsure if buying one outright for themselves is the way to go hence the approach. It's a strange deal I have another LF camera that I use more and they kind of want to try it for 6 months then if they like it buy the rest of the camera off of me. Which suits me; so they want to pay 25-50% of the price as loan fee (and judging by Samy's that's a steal for 6 months!!!) then if they like it they will pay the rest then..

Sorry for the confusion, just wanted to get an idea on how much to pitch as a starting price.

Paul

Brian Ellis
26-Jan-2012, 09:27
Thanks Brian, not a close friend and they have offered to pay upfront, not me offering it first. They want it for 6 months but are unsure if buying one outright for themselves is the way to go hence the approach. It's a strange deal I have another LF camera that I use more and they kind of want to try it for 6 months then if they like it buy the rest of the camera off of me. Which suits me; so they want to pay 25-50% of the price as loan fee (and judging by Samy's that's a steal for 6 months!!!) then if they like it they will pay the rest then..

Sorry for the confusion, just wanted to get an idea on how much to pitch as a starting price.

Paul

See what a couple companies in the business would charge for six months rental of this camera and lens or something similar, charge half of that. You make a little money, he does much better than he could do anywhere else. You both should be happy.

BrianShaw
26-Jan-2012, 09:54
They aren't looking for a rental, but more of a lease. 6 months is an indicator that they simply want to have the equipment available and at their disposal "just in case" they have a use for it.

$90 per day for the camera (even with a 4-day/week rate that's a lot of money) + $25 for lens (Samy's rates and what I remember from Birns & Sawyer when they were renting) would mean that they pay for the whole thing in no time at all... plus some. Even if your rental rate was 10% of that they would be better off just buying it from you, or buying one from someone else. I'm assuming that they are low budget.

Renting is only a viable option if there is a lot of money being made and one doesn't mind "over-paying" to avoid the "inconvenience" of owning. But if they insist... make them a deal and take their money. :)

hand_of_ike
26-Jan-2012, 09:58
I'm in the UK so I reckon the Camera is worth about £400-£450... So I'll ask for £175 for 6 months that's £0.90p a day... pretty good deal!

BrianShaw
26-Jan-2012, 09:59
I've lost track of the exchange rate, but I think that deal should make both of you happy!

hand_of_ike
26-Jan-2012, 12:53
It's a good deal all round ;o)