PDA

View Full Version : LFF Show at Freestyle

Mark Sawyer
23-Jan-2012, 11:30
San Francisco is an excellent location on the west coast, but Freestyle has a gallery space in thier Hollywood store, and since most of us are customers, I wonder if they could be approached?

If only we had a forum moderator on the Freestyle Board of Directors... :rolleyes:

Kirk Gittings
23-Jan-2012, 12:59
Hmmm. I coud inquire if you like. The show would have be juried/curated by somebody as the space is not huge (I think I had maybe 30 images in my solo show there) and there would be more submissions than the space would hold.

Jan Pietrzak
23-Jan-2012, 13:10
Kirk,

Go for it, I am right behind you. about 50ft behind you.

Jan Pietrzak

Kirk Gittings
23-Jan-2012, 14:34
Close enough to rope you in dude.

I sent Eric Joseph a query. Lets see if they are interested.

Kirk Gittings
25-Jan-2012, 09:35
There is indeed some interest for perhaps a show around next January. Fleshing out the details-probably know more by next week.

Kav
25-Jan-2012, 10:44
I'm interested as well.

Michael Clark
25-Jan-2012, 13:39
Freestyle sounds great to me.I'd be able to help hang picks ,but do not have any experience at it, well once in collage many moons ago. Would need some one there to over see.Freesyle gallery is well lit and pretty nice.

Mike

Kirk Gittings
25-Jan-2012, 13:52
Thanks. IME, in the shows I have been in there in the past (1 solo, 2 group), they insisted on hanging the work themselves and did a great job.

IF, if this works out we will still need allot of volunteers however, people to receive the mailed and framed work at their house, people to deliver it to FS, people to pick it up from FS when the show is finished, repackage it and mail it back to participants etc.

Scott Walker
25-Jan-2012, 13:54
There is indeed some interest for perhaps a show around next January. Fleshing out the details-probably know more by next week.

That would be great, I would definitely be interested in participating.

Beyond submitting an image for jurying I would be happy to help out in any way possible.
I am a long way away from Hollywood so it would have to be internet related tasks, but there are many of those in putting a show together.

Kirk Gittings
25-Jan-2012, 14:23
Sorry guys I screwed up. I went to move the last few posts to a new specifically FS Show thread and in doing so somehow I erased all previous posts and the original thread. So sorry. I can't seem to undue this move.:eek:

GabrielSeri
25-Jan-2012, 15:25
I would be interested in participating and making a print for the show. I live in Los Angeles and work for an art gallery at Bergamot Station.

MIke Sherck
25-Jan-2012, 15:51
Would it be possible to have a web gallery for those of us doomed to an interminable existence in the Midwest? ;)

Mike

Kirk Gittings
25-Jan-2012, 15:57
First things first. We have allot of details to sort out first.

I don't see why not but someone would have to volunteer to do it. I can't do it. Or we could do another "A Larger View" blurb book as a catalogue and make the preview fully available.

Thom Bennett
25-Jan-2012, 18:38
A couple of years ago we had a View Camera exhibit at the New Orleans Photo Alliance gallery and we had 106 entries! The most we had prior to that was 75 and our averages were about 45 - 50 per show. The funny thing was that a couple of people on my Programming Committee thought we would only have 10 entries because large format "was dead." Anyway, be prepared to have a ton of great work to look through.

Scott Walker
25-Jan-2012, 18:38
First things first. We have allot of details to sort out first.

I don't see why not but someone would have to volunteer to do it. I can't do it. Or we could do another "A Larger View" blurb book as a catalogue and make the preview fully available.

The Blurb book sounds like a great idea, it only costs something if you purchase one and they can be made fully viewable online.
This is something I could volunteer to do and would be more than happy t do so.

So consider this my official application to volunteer for the position. :)

It would likely make sense for the project coordinator to be someone local to the gallery.

Jim Fitzgerald
25-Jan-2012, 19:56
Kirk, I'd be happy to lend a hand. I know most of the people there and they have seen some of my carbon prints. I spoke with Erik about x-ray film in the past. The images I left for them to review were printed from x-ray negatives. I know the space and it would be very well attended. Let me know how I can help if and when this comes together.

Kirk Gittings
25-Jan-2012, 19:58
Thanks Jim. I'll let you know. Do you live near there?

Jim Fitzgerald
25-Jan-2012, 20:04
Kirk, I'm about an hour away but I travel all day for the paying day job. I have accounts in the area that I see so I can make a visit part of my day.

Oren Grad
25-Jan-2012, 20:32
The Blurb book sounds like a great idea, it only costs something if you purchase one and they can be made fully viewable online.
This is something I could volunteer to do and would be more than happy t do so.

So consider this my official application to volunteer for the position. :)

Frank Petronio did a very nice job on the earlier book. You might check with him for any lessons learned and any other advice on how to approach the task.

Greg Blank
26-Jan-2012, 04:51
I would also say i would be interested in showing an image.

bob carnie
26-Jan-2012, 06:48
I would also be interested in submitting a framed image.

Matus Kalisky
26-Jan-2012, 09:49
Any chance for us from outside US to take part (the show) or would it technically get too complicated? This project sounds like a great idea.

Scott Walker
26-Jan-2012, 10:17
Any chance for us from outside US to take part (the show) or would it technically get too complicated? This project sounds like a great idea.

Personally I think it would be a shame to limit it to US residents.
Partially due to being from Canada :cool: and it would not be a true representation of the quality and diversity of artwork produced by the members of this forum as a whole.
The big downside for someone outside of the US is going to be the added cost of shipping a print.

Kirk Gittings
26-Jan-2012, 10:29
This will certainly not be limited to just the US, but of course your shipping charges, to and from, will be substantially higher.

Scott Walker
26-Jan-2012, 10:29
Frank Petronio did a very nice job on the earlier book. You might check with him for any lessons learned and any other advice on how to approach the task.

Noted, yes Frank did a great job and I would certainly be asking him for any advice he would be willing to share

GabrielSeri
26-Jan-2012, 10:41
I live about 30 minutes away from freestyle and I like I said work at an art gallery in santa monica. I would be happy to help out and exhibit. Let me know.. gabrielseri@hotmail.com

Matus Kalisky
26-Jan-2012, 13:11
This will certainly not be limited to just the US, but of course your shipping charges, to and from, will be substantially higher.

As long as the prints could be shipped unframed and rolled - it would still be manageable as this can be sent as it could be sent as "large letter" for only 3.5 € if the weight is up to 500g (see HERE (http://www.deutschepost.de/mlm.nf/dpag/briefe_ins_ausland/app/index.html?amount=single) for shipping from Germany - but see at the bottom special regulations for letter to USA)

How do you guys actually want to select the final photos to be shown? Just curios about my chances :)

Kirk Gittings
26-Jan-2012, 13:48
Who would you think will be framing them? Prints will need to be framed when FS gets them. That cost and the shipping will be up to each person chosen for the show. Maybe you could get someone here to do it for you, but that is all on you.

The selection process and size limitations etc. is up in the air till we find out from FS how much space they will give us and how many prints can be hung.

bob carnie
27-Jan-2012, 06:11
Since 10 of mine will probably be selected there will be 5 spaces left over ... sorry folks

Who would you think will be framing them? Prints will need to be framed when FS gets them. That cost and the shipping will be up to each person chosen for the show. Maybe you could get someone here to do it for you, but that is all on you.

The selection process and size limitations etc. is up in the air till we find out from FS how much space they will give us and how many prints can be hung.

Michael Graves
27-Jan-2012, 06:46
I'll throw my name in as well. I can handle rejection.

ROL
27-Jan-2012, 10:18
Ha! Who wouldn't be interested in submitting work?!?

Really folks, there's a lot of assuming going on here, at this point.

For those who have never been to the Freestyle gallery, every show I've ever seen there appears to be finished by the staff. Matted/windowed prints are pinned (clasped?) to covering plexi glazing in a decidedly "unframed" manner. Will this paradigm be altered for LFPF, if a show happens?

Drew Wiley
27-Jan-2012, 11:14
I'm not generally interested in Camera Store type venues but might be willing to send
a black and white piece if the handling down there is first rate. I have my own frame shop.

John Kasaian
27-Jan-2012, 12:58
Just a thought about international images---what about hanging them in "digital" picture frames? Sending the images through cyberspace might be an economical option to sending a framed print from Lower Slebovia. One frame could represent several photographers helping with the space issue.
I have no idea what LF would look like on one of these (runs and takes cover) I just thought I'd mention it as worth possibly exploring. You guys know more about the viability of this sort of stuff than me.
Has it been done before?

Kirk Gittings
27-Jan-2012, 13:11
Sorry. This will be a traditional "show" of people's fine prints.

Kav
27-Jan-2012, 13:16
Like I said above, I’m interested. I’d be willing to help in any way I can. I live in North Carolina, But will be doing a ton of traveling the first half of this year. I’m coming back from Africa soon then will be off to Arizona for a few months, then Thailand, and then finally back to North Carolina in the summer. If we can use my traveling to the project’s advantage then I’m all for it.

Kirk Gittings
27-Jan-2012, 13:56
Thanks.

vinny
27-Jan-2012, 14:12
Just a thought about international images---what about hanging them in "digital" picture frames? Sending the images through cyberspace might be an economical option to sending a framed print from Lower Slebovia. One frame could represent several photographers helping with the space issue.
I have no idea what LF would look like on one of these (runs and takes cover) I just thought I'd mention it as worth possibly exploring. You guys know more about the viability of this sort of stuff than me.
Has it been done before?

John,
Photo LA is over. Your post reminded me of the ipod shuffle mounted on the wall displaying someone's image. I don't remember the price.

Drew Wiley
27-Jan-2012, 14:54
Large format on a digital display would look just like it does on the web: complete crap.
Might as well use a cell phone camera.

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Jan-2012, 16:44
Sorry. This will be a traditional "show" of people's fine prints.

I like the "traditional" aspect of it! Fine prints are a given! At least for me.

Andrew O'Neill
27-Jan-2012, 17:31
I would like to participate. I've sent framed prints to the States and back before. A bit pricely, but I think it's worth it.

Matus Kalisky
28-Jan-2012, 07:28

I hear you loud and clear, Kirk. No need to get upset too much about somebody who has never taken part in a show before.

As I understand the show will take place in about year from now, so that allows enough time to clear up issues and handle things and such. I would like to participate although it will all depend on the whole process.

I will keep an eye on this thread. Thank you.

Tori Nelson
28-Jan-2012, 08:49
Is this a "just for boys" club, or can the girls play too?
I'm a couple of hours away but would still be willing to help in some way.

jnantz
28-Jan-2012, 09:55
does the work need to be framed traditionally, or can the images be box or float mounted?
do the images have to be made traditionally, or can they be made through
an alternate method ( cameraless, lumen &c ) with the original negative was 20square inches?

thanks for looking into this kirk !
john

Andrew O'Neill
28-Jan-2012, 12:04

Of course you can play. Not sure why you would assume that it's just for the boys...

Mark Sawyer
28-Jan-2012, 12:10

Of course you can play. Not sure why you would assume that it's just for the boys...

But you'll have to grow a beard... :rolleyes:

Kirk Gittings
28-Jan-2012, 12:28
I need to quite speculating on this until I know more from FS. Thanks all.

Jim Fitzgerald
28-Jan-2012, 12:35
Kirk, the hounds have been released! People calm down. I'm sure the details will be posted when necessary. Enough questions and speculation. Just my opinion and thoughts.

Mark Sawyer
28-Jan-2012, 12:38
Sorry, Kirk, we've already sent out the press releases.

Seriously, we are too big a forum for so small a space. Perhaps there needs to be some qualifier (length of membership/number of posts), or jurying method, or something else. Perhaps there are similar venues around the country, and FS could host the southwest, while others host other regions. Maybe Freestyle (or someone else) knows of a bigger, more appropriate space. Or we could just go with it and let it work itself out...

Kirk and Jim are right, it's currently just the seed of an idea...

Matus Kalisky
28-Jan-2012, 15:52
Kirk, we will all gladly wait until the details will be known.

Mark - whether there is a lot of space of not, there will probably have to be a selection process done by somebody with experience I guess. I am just thinking loudly, but why not ask from those who are interested up to 3 images to be submitted (email or dedicated webpage) in reasonable size in digital version for selection and select just X of the best ones? After all - one would like to show the better of the work produced by LFF members. Just a thought.

Kav
29-Jan-2012, 02:34
Kirk, we will all gladly wait until the details will be known.

Mark - whether there is a lot of space of not, there will probably have to be a selection process done by somebody with experience I guess. I am just thinking loudly, but why not ask from those who are interested up to 3 images to be submitted (email or dedicated webpage) in reasonable size in digital version for selection and select just X of the best ones? After all - one would like to show the better of the work produced by LFF members. Just a thought.

That seems like a good idea. I think it would be best to have a digital image of the final print. That way WYSIWYG for the show and it would save loads on shipping.

Matus Kalisky
31-Jan-2012, 14:37
Kav, I only meant to use the digital images for the selection process, not for the submission. I would prefer to get the final photograph (if accepted) printed locally and see it before it would be sent for the show. But there is enough time to get the details.

Kav
31-Jan-2012, 15:40
Matus, What I was thinking was use a digital image to judge the first round. (ie a digital image of the final print you are submitting) than go over actual prints for the final judging. So say we have 100 people send a digital image and narrow it down to 30. Then ship 30 prints in for the final judging for say 15 spots. I'm just pulling our random numbers and like you said we have lots of time to hammer this all out. :)

Mark Sawyer
31-Jan-2012, 16:02
Just things to think about, not advocating any position...

Is size a consideration? If one photographer submits 32x40-inch framed works, and another 8x10-inch framed works, will each be held to the same number?

Could the show be hung salon-style (floor-to-ceiling, packed fairly tight) if the numbers and quality merit it?

Decisions, decisions...

BTW, I've heard salon-style hanging is making a minor comeback. For those unfamiliar with it, it packs in a lot more work than the modern, more "economical" style of hanging:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Owen21k/zzzzz.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Owen21k/zzzz.jpg

danno@cnwl.igs
31-Jan-2012, 17:41

Tori, Darlin, ladies of all sorts are welcome.... Plenty of plates and beer to serve, and lots of dishes to wash. Bring all your friends.:)

Tori Nelson
31-Jan-2012, 18:37
Tori, Darlin, ladies of all sorts are welcome.... Plenty of plates and beer to serve, and lots of dishes to wash. Bring all your friends.:)

Love it! I do bake, maybe I could forgo the dishes for the oven...

ROL
31-Jan-2012, 18:52
Geezus, there ain't no show yet. If someone has a space they want to devote to LFPF, why not just put everyone out of their misery?!?

Is size a consideration? If one photographer submits 32x40-inch framed works, and another 8x10-inch framed works, will each be held to the same number?

Again, for those unfamiliar with the Freestyle Gallery, it is quite small, with normal ceiling height (~30X30X10?). I'm pretty sure the largest I've seen there is 20X24 with mostly 16X20 or smaller. For example, there is only room for perhaps 8 to 10 of my 30x40 (36x48) framed works, which is fine by me. Your puny pix will only look sickly shoe-horned between mine (:p ).

Could the show be hung salon-style (floor-to-ceiling, packed fairly tight) if the numbers and quality merit it?

Decisions, decisions...

BTW, I've heard salon-style hanging is making a minor comeback. For those unfamiliar with it, it packs in a lot more work than the modern, more "economical" style of hanging:

...see previous response regarding room height. This is a very pedestrian way to hang art. Your pieces will require at least a step stool, or kneepads, to examine when mine (:p ) are hung at normal standard height.

Sheesh!

Jim collum
31-Jan-2012, 21:13
if this weren't the LFF Show, i'd submit 35mm platinum contact prints (going in the completely opposite direction...)

rdenney
31-Jan-2012, 22:46
if this weren't the LFF Show, i'd submit 35mm platinum contact prints (going in the completely opposite direction...)

Yeah, but you could mat them in a 20x24 mat, to demonstrate that they are Art and To Be Taken Seriously.

Rick "who has seen some mighty big mats on mighty small prints" Denney

bob carnie
1-Feb-2012, 06:26
I have patented a way of showing my prints wet, water slowly flows on my prints to give you the originator experience, must have Thomsons lighting the room.

Yeah, but you could mat them in a 20x24 mat, to demonstrate that they are Art and To Be Taken Seriously.

Rick "who has seen some mighty big mats on mighty small prints" Denney

Scott Walker
6-Feb-2012, 09:47
Just curious to know if any further progress has been made with Freestyle, or if there was an approximate timeline for their decision making.

Itching for an update :)

Kirk Gittings
6-Feb-2012, 09:50
Don't really want to bug them about it. They were considering giving us three spaces. They were going to measure and figure out approx. number of prints that could be hung.

tgtaylor
6-Feb-2012, 20:54
A Large Format Photography Exhibition by members of this forum is a good idea but it should be restricted to show-casing members current work and not be restricted to a single exhibition at a small camera store such as Freestyle. It should be an international traveling exhibition. Here is what I suggest:

1. That the submission be limited to those that are, or have, actively participated in the forums annual print exchange. This will insure that the work will be truly representative of the typical forum member and not that of a politically connected member.
2. That venues be chosen and volunteers selected to handle the necessary logistics to service that particular location including:

a. Identifying and securing a suitable exhibition venue .
b. Providing the necessary advertising and marketing tasks for the event
c. Receiving the prints and insuring that they are displayed appropriately.
d. Returning or forwarding the prints to the proper destination.

If you stop and think about it, it is not as difficult as it first seems.

Thomas

Scott Walker
7-Feb-2012, 01:11
Don't really want to bug them about it. They were considering giving us three spaces. They were going to measure and figure out approx. number of prints that could be hung.

Thanks Kirk

Scott Walker
7-Feb-2012, 02:11
Before I start, please excuse my spelling and punctuation. I just finished painting and do not have the mental or physical energy to go to a computer with spellcheck and all those other fancy gismos that keep me from apearing as an idiot.:p

A Large Format Photography Exhibition by members of this forum is a good idea but it should be restricted to show-casing members current work and not be restricted to a single exhibition at a small camera store such as Freestyle.

We don't have a show at Freestyle or anywhere else at the moment and right now freestyle is the only venue considering us.....so if you think Freestyle is little more than a small camera store then do not submit an image.

It should be an international traveling exhibition.

I would be all over that and would be happy to represent.

Here is what I suggest:
1. That the submission be limited to those that are, or have, actively participated in the forums annual print exchange. This will insure that the work will be truly representative of the typical forum member and not that of a politically connected member.

Perfectely fine if we were puting a print exchange show together, but we are not.

2. That venues be chosen and volunteers selected to handle the necessary logistics to service that particular location including:

Wonderfull idea, it seems so simple :)

I was involved with a group of like minded artists for a number of years. We were a group of about 30, give or take. Our mandate was to produce one exceptional show each year with maybe one or two spinoff shows from the major show. We met as a group (the organizers, 15 or so of us) once a month for about 4 hours to ensure everything was on track and our individual committies were acomplishing what was necessary. The month of the show we usualy met once or twice a week so the total hours between us was in excess of 800 each year. If you add volunteer time (friends & family) it would easily quadrupple.

Thomas

So yeah.......If you stop and think about it, it is not as difficult as it first seems.

Jim Fitzgerald
7-Feb-2012, 07:30
I was at Freestyle yesterday and Ted Orland has his work hanging. He has 49 images up.

ROL
7-Feb-2012, 09:40
A Large Format Photography Exhibition by members of this forum is a good idea but it should be restricted to show-casing members current work and not be restricted to a single exhibition at a small camera store such as Freestyle. It should be an international traveling exhibition. Here is what I suggest:

Thomas

Holy Christ!!!

Thomas, if you think it is all that easy, then MAKE IT HAPPEN.

As a former gallery/show owner/operator, I can say with verifiable experience, that you are full of it. Please, not for me (certainly not for me), but for the sake of anyone you care about in the arts (or photography if you perceive an artistic difference), or yourself, prove me wrong. And you can make entries as restrictive as you like.

P.S. I apologize ahead of time if your post was actually meant to be a joke.:eek:

tgtaylor
7-Feb-2012, 10:28
I'm not suggesting not to exhibit at Freestyle but lets face it Freestyle is a camera store and there are many camera stores with similar or even greater space for exhibitions that could be approached. For example Keeble and Shuchat in Pala Alto has a space similar to Freestyle's and they routinely pack in 60 or 80 persons at a time to be pitched by various factory reps. As another example Calumet in San Francisco has a even larger space where I've seen gigantic B&W prints on display that must have been 10'x10' in dimension. The camera stores would make a likely venue because the event would attract their customers - photographers - that purchase their products.

However the camera store is not the only possibility out there - locations that would attract a broader spectrum of the viewing public. Finding them requires making phone calls and visiting sites.

Thomas

Kirk Gittings
6-Mar-2012, 14:45
A Larger View, 2013.

Just to let you know where we are at. The exhibit is happening. The exhibit will be next year, exact dates unknown as yet. Allot is yet to be decided and I am traveling for the next couple of weeks so much will have to be done when I get back. But some things are moving forward. Freestyle has given us three spaces and a quantity of images that they can hang. So we have a quantity to jury towards-70 16x20s (full bleed or "matted to" size). The jury will be the following LFF members-myself, Merg Ross and Jan Pietrzak (all members of the Freestyle Board), three diverse and accomplished photographers-give them a break and don't bother Merg or Jan about the exhibit. Jurying will be blind in that no ID will accompany the files being juried. Allot of volunteers will be needed so think about it-some in the SF area and some online (for example someone to collect submission files put them in some identifiable order without names etc. and forward them on to the jurors), but don't send me your info yet. Don't know much or haven't made decisions about much else as yet.

Scott Walker
6-Mar-2012, 14:59
Excellent news :)

Kirk Gittings
6-Mar-2012, 15:04
At some point soon I will post a survey to test interest. This will help determine how many entries each person will be allowed. For example if we can hang 70 prints and 300 people say they want to participate we would set a different submission limit than if only 30 people say they are interested.

Kirk Gittings
6-Mar-2012, 15:45
One of many first class photographers to exhibit there. The list is long. I wish I could see that. How was it?

I was at Freestyle yesterday and Ted Orland has his work hanging. He has 49 images up.

Daniel Stone
6-Mar-2012, 15:51
is this a strictly b/w ANALOG show, or are color(say, lightjet from drum scanned chrome/neg) submissions allowed as well? Just wondering

-Dan

Kirk Gittings
6-Mar-2012, 16:05
No this is a large format forum member show (not an "official" show by the owner perse) so the only restriction is original capture as per forum guidelines here-not final output. We will use the forum guidelines for submissions:
"For the purposes of this forum, we define "large format" as being essentially 4x5, or larger, sheet film. We do, however, allow what would otherwise be considered "medium format" sizes, IF exposed in a view camera (e.g. with a roll-film adapter), technical, or old-style press camera (e.g. the various Graphic cameras)."

Jim Fitzgerald
6-Mar-2012, 17:51
One of many first class photographers to exhibit there. The list is long. I wish I could see that. How was it?

Kirk, the show was very nice. Ted is very creative and I loved his image style. gave me a lot of ideas which is always a great thing.

Daniel Stone
7-Mar-2012, 00:00
Thanks Kirk,

I have a few photographs I might consider entering.

-Dan

Shawn Dougherty
8-Mar-2012, 07:53
Thanks for taking the lead on this, Kirk! Sounds fantastic.
Shawn

Terry Hayden
8-Mar-2012, 12:52
Thanks for your efforts Kirk.
I've been involved in organizing more than a couple of shows, it
can be amazingly time consuming...

Regards,
Terry

David Karp
8-Mar-2012, 21:45
Thanks Kirk.