PDA

View Full Version : Instant Film

bmortensen
25-Jan-2012, 11:58
Hi There,

This is my first post here! Sorry that it's fairly text-heavy.

I'm sure this question has been asked before. I'm not sure if it belongs in this section. But here we go.

Here's a bit of background before my actual question:
I've had a Sinar F1 system for a few years now but only really played around with it. I was using my DSLR to take a test shot to get the correct aperture and shutter speed (I have a feeling that this practice might make some people cringe) and was just making really simple contact prints from my 4x5 exposures.

Now for my question:
I'm trying to really master the 4x5 medium now. While watching Ed Burtynsky's Manufactured Landscapes docu, I noticed that he took a test shot on a direct positive 'polaroid-esque' sheet and was able to analyze his shot and exposure settings before exposing to 4x5 film. My questions are:

Where do I get this? I live in London, I'm sure Silverprint would have it.
Is it even a good idea to use?
Do I need a special film holder for it or do I load it into my 4x5 film cartridges?

Let me know!
thanks so much
-brett

rdenney
25-Jan-2012, 13:12
Fujifilm is still making instant peel-apart film. There is rumor (and with Fuji and their distributors it isn't always clear about what is real and what is rumor) that their larger 4x5 product, which in color was FP100C45, is no longer being made. That film was designed for the Polaroid 550 pack-film holder, which Fuji has replicated as their PA-45 holder.

They also make (and by all accounts will continue to make) the 3-1/4x4-1/4" pack film, which is the same size used in the old Polaroid Land cameras that took pack film. That film will fit in a Polaroid 405 holder, which Fuji has replicated as the PA-145. This size is used in their Instax cameras, and also in their passport cameras, so it still has a market of sorts. It is smaller than 4x5, but not that much and it's still a workable size for checking exposure.

All of these holders are designed for International/Graflok backs, and will fit in your Sinar just fine. You just remove the ground glass by pushing in the chrome clips and sliding it over so that it becomes unclipped. It will lift out. Then, you put the holder in its place and lock it down with the sliding clips at top and bottom.

As your skills improve, you won't need it to check exposure, though you might still use it to check lighting. The film is pretty good, but it has a narrow range, like slide film.

Rick "on the lookout for an old Polaroid 405" Denney

megapickle1
25-Jan-2012, 13:59
Hallo! As I posted the other day Fuji doesn`t provide 4 x 5 instant film anymore. You can buy some colour film in the ()bay (Fuji FP100C45) for about 40$ the pack but there is no b/w!
As rdenney suggested use a 405 holder or PA 45 for the smaller packfilm for checking exposure or ligthing setup. Black/White is hard to find in this format but there is enough colour film (FP100C) in the market. I think in the near future Fuji will stop the production of this format too.
So you - and I - have to go back to do digiroids with a digital camera. But the results are roughly the truth due to the different sensitivity of film and digital sensors and the different shutterspeeds. 1/15 sec. with a copal shutter is different to 1/15 sec. with a Nikon D300 and the aperture of my Nikon lenses are different too. Personally thinking about a scanback for my 4x5 Sinar.
Sorry for the long post.
George

Ari
25-Jan-2012, 19:26
There is still plenty of fresh Fuji c45, in colour and B&W.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Polaroid-Fujifilm-Instant-Film/ci/327/N/4294548502

Yes, they're phasing out the larger 4x5 instant film, but supplies will be around for some time yet.

Fred L
25-Jan-2012, 19:46
Just to clarify, Instax cameras uses integrated film which is different from the film used in cameras such as Polaroids that take 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 film.

rdenney
26-Jan-2012, 13:27
Just to clarify, Instax cameras uses integrated film which is different from the film used in cameras such as Polaroids that take 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 film.

Sure enough. I've spouted that bit of misinformation several times, based on a camera-store display where FP100C was displayed as a package with an Instax camera.

Rick "wondering how many people bought the package and tried to make the film fit the camera" Denney

Fred L
26-Jan-2012, 16:15
If only the Instax shot peel film...but you hafta luv the way the Instax spits out the photo though. It's a fugly camera but fun ;)