PDA

View Full Version : Group purchase: Kodak Plus-x 70mm x 500ft

keithwms
23-Jan-2012, 11:32
I'd like to coordinate a bulk purchase of plus-x in the form of 70mm x 500 ft rolls. This is aerecon material on an estar base. The minimum order is 18 rolls at $720 each, so obviously I'd like to divide this order between several colleagues here and on APUG.

It'll get too complicated if we divide the rolls at this stage, so let's work in units of 500 ft. Please let me know how many rolls you will commit to (commiting to purchase a single roll is okay). Once we get close to the target, I'll arrange order and compute shipping etc.

For reference, this is quite similar to standard plus-x but it differs in two important regards: (1) this has more red sensitivity, and (2) the film is on the thin estar base. I have quite a lot of panatomic x on the same base and it's great... fits easily into most holders. I'll be using this film mostly in the rb and rz 70mm rollfilm holders and in some sheet holders.

The film can *probably* be cut down to other sizes e.g. 120/220, but I don't have time to arrange that- I am just looking for commitments for straight rolls right now.

So... please let me know how many rolls you'd commit to and if we pass the threshold, I'll get it done.

Here's a link to the product:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...erecon_II.html

Please feel free to pass this invitation on to colleagues at other sites as well. I'll try to pool the participants and make this work out to everyone's benefit.

Vaughn
23-Jan-2012, 12:14
Since you mentioned 70mm film. Anyone interested in a 100' roll of 70mm Kodalith Ortho Film 6556 (type 3)?

It came from a military research center and I believe bought by them in 7/1996. In the originally sealed box. Well stored by them, but at room temp for the last 4 years.

Free, plus shipping. Perhaps someone wants it to experiment with 70mm film before buying the film Keith is trying to get an order for.

Vaughn

jimmyp
23-Jan-2012, 13:45
Vaughn,

I'd be happy to have the Ortho film!

Jimmy

Vaughn
23-Jan-2012, 14:09
David from CA was the first to contact me and I'll try to get it out this week.

I am going to take a look around to see if I still have some other rolls of it.

Vaughn

false_Aesthetic
23-Jan-2012, 14:14
now that's a hostile thread takeover.

Newt should take lessons.

EdWorkman
23-Jan-2012, 15:01
Kieth
GULP
but then I did some arithmetic.
I bought a 100 ft roll of tri X for $100 several years ago, then a roll of something eastEurope from Freestyle a year ago+ for $150, so $720 is actually a good deal- but a heckuva lot of money in one lump... DANG
I gotta go back to the whist game with the ribbon clerks
good luck
Ed

Vaughn
23-Jan-2012, 15:29
now that's a hostile thread takeover.

Newt should take lessons.

I thought it was approbiate. My apologies to Keith if he thinks it was not. If I do find any more, I'll make sure to start my own thread.

How many rolls are you good for under Keith's bulk order? Or are you just being a sticky-beak?

keithwms
23-Jan-2012, 16:45
haha, no harm done :)

I'm up to 4 rolls already. 14 to go... just think, a nice supply of fresh plus-x.... plus-x..... +sex...

ic-racer
23-Jan-2012, 20:59
Do you know the exact dimensions? 70.x mm
Do you know if it is perforated?

This information on the Kodak PDF is a useless circular reference:

SIZE DATA AND ORDERING
INFORMATION
Information on available sizes and minimum order
quantities of this film is available on the web at
www.kodak.com/go/aerial.

Jay DeFehr
23-Jan-2012, 21:25
The math doesn't add up for me. It comes out to about $3.60/120-length roll. I can get Acros for less than that, from Freestyle, with backing paper, that will go directly into any of my MF equipment, and no minimum order. Acros is made for pictorial photography, not aerial recon, and that might be more important than you're guessing. This aerial film is not much like Plus-X at all. Did you look at the reciprocity characteristics? No correction needed for exposures between 1/100 and 1/1000. For exposures at 1/10 open aperture 1/2 stop. And the grain! RMS 20! And that thin base? No thank you. If I'm going to pay a premium, it's going to be for a premium film.

keithwms
23-Jan-2012, 22:22
Jay, if you want Acros then buy Acros. Nobody's stopping you ;)

And... I'm not guessing anything, but thanks for worrying on my behalf. I want the extended sensitivity, and I also like the idea of a compact roll of ~60 exposures in one little canister. I also have 5" panatomic x in aerial form and absolutely adore it. I'd buy more in a heartbeat. Great to have a consistent material to work with, totally independent of market ups and downs. And I've had no issues at all with the thinner base.

Jay DeFehr
23-Jan-2012, 23:36
Jay, if you want Acros then buy Acros. Nobody's stopping you ;)

And... I'm not guessing anything, but thanks for worrying on my behalf. I want the extended sensitivity, and I also like the idea of a compact roll of ~60 exposures in one little canister. I also have 5" panatomic x in aerial form and absolutely adore it. I'd buy more in a heartbeat. Great to have a consistent material to work with, totally independent of market ups and downs. And I've had no issues at all with the thinner base.

Keith, you're right, I shouldn't have butted in. It's clear you know what you're getting into. I think these purchasing groups are great, and sometimes the only way to make some materials available. Best of luck to you!

keithwms
24-Jan-2012, 08:09
Thanks Jay, I did appreciate your frank input ;)

And, for the record, I am interested in other bulk purchases as well. Not that I am a horder but I do think associated commodity prices are in a nice niche right now, especially if you're buying in dollars. Forexample, 11x14 Ilford hp5+ is rather inexpensive right now, in the US market....

Anyway, back to plus-x aerial....

EdWorkman
24-Jan-2012, 09:51
kieth
I didn't actually drop all my interest, but there is a pending [I think] question that I also forgot to ask- perf or non perf?
If non-perf there must be a couple of [other] freaks that would consider it to be 116/616 :>)

EdWorkman
24-Jan-2012, 10:31
Me Too about the perfs??
If not, there must be a freak besides me that is thinking 116/616

EdWorkman
24-Jan-2012, 10:32
Sorry for the double - now triple post- I was lookiing for the first, didn't find it, hit reload--- wasn't there, then reposted and ... it's a knack

keithwms
31-Jan-2012, 20:28
Sorry Ed, I meant to get back to you but haven't gotten the info yet. The perf is unspecified in the technical info and the person I spoke to didn't know, and I didn't have the patience to pursue it! Might be irrelevant though, I'm only up to 6 rolls which is less than half of what's needed :(