PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use Epson 2880 with Ink Republic inks?

Ari
19-Jan-2012, 19:36
It's a stretch, I know; I was wondering if there were any ink profiles to be had for this combination.
I contacted Ink Republic (best customer service, btw) and they do not have a profile for this printer/ink combination; they said one was not needed.
I'm getting some wild variations in accuracy when printing; I just calibrated my monitor, and my print settings are on default (I adjust in PS to overcome the lack of a profile).
Maybe I've set some incorrect defaults? I don't know.
Also, I've been using Epson Ultra Premium Matte.

If anyone has some suggestions or ideas, I'm all ears.
Thanks in advance.

Ari
20-Jan-2012, 12:47
I suppose the combination is kind of rare.
The printer came with the CISS inkset installed, so I'm just trying to get some consistency; if it doesn't work, I'll switch the 2880 to Epson cartridges and get Epson profiles.
After 3 hours last night, though, I was able to get good prints, but still too-red skin tones.

Peter De Smidt
20-Jan-2012, 13:37
I used to have an R2400 with the InkRepublic CIS. For the most part, it worked ok. I used a custom bw inkset from MIS.

I have to disagree with them about the need for a profile. You should be able to have a profile made without too much trouble.

Ari
20-Jan-2012, 13:47
Thanks, Peter.
Another question: last night I had good-looking prints coming out, just a little colour-correction was needed, but they matched what I had on my screen very closely.
Today I fired up the printer for a test print, and all of a sudden, everything is way off, just like before. Colours are technicolor, and do not match at all, print quality overall is terrible.
It kind of looks like only one or two channels are being used for printing, if that makes any sense.
The only thing I can do is reset the chip, which seems to work, temporarily, but do I really have to do that each day?

Peter De Smidt
20-Jan-2012, 14:40
Try printing out a nozzle check pattern.

Ari
20-Jan-2012, 14:56
I did, but it stopped before the end of the cleaning cycle.
I may just put back the Epson cartridges and be done with it, if that's the problem.
Thanks, Peter.

Peter De Smidt
20-Jan-2012, 19:59
Um, you don't have to run a nozzle check and cleaning cycle together. You can print out just the nozzle check. Once you do, examine it. The option to do a cleaning cycle will pop up on screen, but you don't have to do it.

Ari
20-Jan-2012, 20:10
I did; ran a test, and based on the test, I did a cleaning, which did not manage to finish.
I've had it; I'm disabling the CIS system, and re-installing the Epson cartridges.
I've spent more time with this printer this past week than I have with my daughter, and not because printing was such a sheer joy :mad:
Basta.

Peter De Smidt
20-Jan-2012, 21:09
Ari, I do agree that CIS systems tend to be more problematic than regular OEM cartridges. I don't think I'd do the CIS route again myself. For someone who prints a ton, they are probably worth the hassles, but not for the occasional printer.

Ari
20-Jan-2012, 22:01
Ari, I do agree that CIS systems tend to be more problematic than regular OEM cartridges. I don't think I'd do the CIS route again myself. For someone who prints a ton, they are probably worth the hassles, but not for the occasional printer.

Amen; thanks, Peter.

photobymike
21-Jan-2012, 06:47

i have been using Cavepaint elite on an epson 4800 wide printer..... i am going to switch it over to B&W Cone Carbon ink set 2 weeks.... cant wait.....

Cavepaint Elite refilled carts worked good for me, with no changes in my profiles.

Ari
22-Jan-2012, 08:44
Thanks, Mike; I was looking for just that kind of information.
I disconnected the CIS system, and the printer works perfectly now.
However, after biting the bullet, and purchasing a full set of Epson inks, I want to explore less costly inks and refillable cartridges that won't break the bank.

However, many of these companies make carts for wide format printers.
Does anyone know of a good ink cart system for the 2880/desktop printers?
Thanks

Peter De Smidt
22-Jan-2012, 10:40
I would check inkjetmall's Cone Color first. Ime, they have very good products with excellent support.

Ari
22-Jan-2012, 10:52
Thanks, Peter; will do.