PDA

View Full Version : Image circle of 170/6.3 anastigmat

Mark_3632
12-Nov-2003, 08:04
Will this lens cover a 5x7 neg? if used with a shade will the fact that it is not coated be negated? I will only be doing contact prints. I cannot find the image cirle refrenced anywhere on the net.

Jim Galli
12-Nov-2003, 09:18
A little more info if possible. Anastigmat is pretty broad. Who made it etc. If it's any help I've experimented with a 165mm f6.3 tessar type of Ilex origin and it doesn't really cover 5X7. It will for closer things but not at infinity.

Mark_3632
12-Nov-2003, 09:44
It is a kodak Anastigmat 170mm F6.3.

I am coming across lots of older lenses and it seems the Bausch & Lomb lenses are pretty plentiful. Is there a source that just talks about the pros and cons of older lenses some where? Like this lens 7" f6 Hugo Meyer Euryplan, or this one, 18cm f4.5 Heliar. Life used to be so simple before this LF addiction.

Dan Fromm
12-Nov-2003, 10:38
You want info? Incomplete, inconsistent, infuriating at times, interesting, intriguing, and lots of it?

Get the Lens Collector's Vade Mecum. MW Classic Camera in the UK sell it, charge several limbs for postage. Dan Colluci is selling copies on eBay for a tad less.

Jim Galli
12-Nov-2003, 15:21
Mark, Go here. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2962955761&category=29986) You can work without a shutter. Trust me. (Don't do the buy it now. These go all the time for $25)

Mark_3632
12-Nov-2003, 16:11
Jim-that is an enlarging lens? I have no problem working without a shutter but i thought enlarging lenses did not really work for actually taking the paicture? Throwng the "I really know nothing about lenses" attitude out of the closet with this one. I am really confused now. This lens will cover 5x7?

AAAAHHHHHH-my brain it hurts, it hurts!

I thought I almost had a handle on this stuff.

Jim Galli
12-Nov-2003, 16:58
Mark it's a Copy camera lens that is now obsolete. It will be superb for general photo use at around f16 and smaller. It's not an enlarger lens. But while we're on the subject I've found Schneider Componon s 6 element lenses extremely nice as taking lenses also at small aperture. The little Ultragon 150 will cover your 5X7 and allow movements. Jim

Ernest Purdum
12-Nov-2003, 16:58
Mark, I imagine that you will get a reply from Jim, but in the meantime, a few thoughts. Regarding enlarging lenses for distant views, the Ultragon really isn't an enlarging lens, it is a "process" lens intended for copying from a piece of art to something reproducible by printing. As to distant views, will a process lens do? Well, like so many other things related to lenses, it depends. Many process lenses are Tessars, or some variation on that theme, asymmetrical and finicky about image/subject size ratios. The Ultragon, on the other hand, is a symmetrical design, one of the several designed in fairly recent years to use on more compact vertical copying cameras that need a wider field of view than the old traditional horizontal cameras. Several of these, including the Ultragon, have been found to work out quite well at infinity. With some of them you should always stop down to f22 or so, but that's the area where most large format photos other than people pictures are taken anyway. My only reservation about this one is that I would look for one of the 210mm length examples. They show up on eBay pretty regularly.

Regarding your question about a lens shade, carefully used, and preferably a compendium type, a lens shade is very desirable and can help a lot in reducing the chance of flare, but the light that bounces off air to glass surfaces of an uncoated lens, and winds up in the wrong place, will reduce contrast. How much of a problem this may be depends (here we go again) on the particular lens - how many air to glass surfaces does it have and how wide an angle is it intended to cover.