PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly suffering sad supermatic shutter situation

John Kasaian
10-Nov-2003, 20:31
The long awaited 203 f7.7 Ektar in a supermatic shutter arrived today---a beautiful lense that should fit nicely on the 5x7 Speeder. Sady, there is no cable release fitting! Only a little lever to trip the shutter(let me rephrase that: Only a @#%^&**(@#%^ little lever to trip the shutter!) There is a small button that looks like it might be a shutter release, but it dosen't do anything that I can figure out. Does anyone know what that button does? Could it be possibly swapped for a cable release fitting? Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Michael Kadillak
10-Nov-2003, 20:51
There is a hole opposite the twin flash prongs that accepts a screwed in shutter release. The button is to push down to hold the shutter open when you are releasing the shutter. If you do not have a hole in the right place, I would be surprised.

Nice lens.

John Kasaian
10-Nov-2003, 21:32
AhhHAH!

Behind the little lever that trips the shutter, there is an escutcheon plate with a tiny knurled bright screw. The plate is in the same location as the one on my other supermatic No.2 that the cable release fits into. If I remove the knurled screw I should have a place to attach the cable release. "Thanks" I say, with a bit of a red face!

Mark Erickson
11-Nov-2003, 10:20
John,

The 203 really is a nice lens. I've gotten really clear, sharp results with mine. I'm still trying to work out a method to attach metric-thread filters to it, however.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a Series VI to (anything metric) adapter ring?

John Kasaian
11-Nov-2003, 10:42
Mark,

Glennview has 40.5, 40.9, 43 and 45mm to series 6 adapters listed. I hope this helps.

Nick Morris
11-Nov-2003, 14:17
John, congrats on the 203 Ektar. I have truly enjoyed mine, almost too sharp. I have two other lenses in supermatics, and have found them to be very reliable and consistent. Enjoy.

Brian Allen Kuehn
10-Dec-2003, 22:51
That button is a "press focus button". It allows you to focus by locking the lens open (much like the T (time) setting on the shutter) but allows you focus while leaving the shutter set to your chosen shutter speed. Cock the shutter, push and hold the "press focus button", and press the release arm. The shutter will open and stay open. To release the open shutter, put some back pressure on the shutter cocking arm (as if you were going to recock the shutter). This permits the "press focus button" to spring back to its original positions and allows the shutter to cycle and close.