PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with LF

Kav
10-Jan-2012, 12:51
With my time in Africa coming to a close I'm starting to plan my next adventure. As it stands right now I'm looking to go to the Pacific Rim for 2-4 weeks (Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia area). It looks like I'm going to spend much of my time on the move. I am taking a DSLR and lenses (odds are a fisheye, 50mm and 70-300mm), and one of my Film cameras. I have a Hasselblad 500ELX with a F2.8 80mm lens and a Graflex Speed Graphic with a F4.7 127mm lens. I also have two 12 shot magazine and 5 film holders for it. So assuming I take the Speed Graphic I have a few (loaded) questions.

1: If you were to pick 2 kinds of film to take (one color, and one B&W) what would you pick and why? I'm thinking about something with a ISO of 400 to help with lower light shots. I'm going to be shooting what ever catches my eye. Be it landscapes, street, wildlife, whatever I feel like.

2: Should I develop my own film there? Ship film back to the US to get developed? Or?

3: What is a realistic amount of film to take?

4: What would you recommend for a camera bag/backpack? Being somewhat portable is key.

5: Any other things to think about?

Thanks for any input you're willing to share.

Matus Kalisky
10-Jan-2012, 15:57
Surely you will get answers from more experienced travelers, but here is my experience. Couple of years me and my wife visited New Zealand for 3 weeks (it was great). We had a camper van for the whole period. I had following cameras: Tachihara 4x5 with 4 lenses, Rolleiflex T and Olympus XA. I did use all of them, but often the 4x5 was just too large of time consumer and while I did get a few OK shots with it (my wife showed lot of patience - I know why I married her ;) ), next time I would think twice whether to take it or not. One just simply needs too much stuff (lenses, film holders, changing tent, decent tripod, film, all the small stuff ..). And it takes time to get the shot. Surely - If I would go JUST for the photography - I would do that, but otherwise I would strongly consider something like Fuji GW690 (or the GSW690) and maybe some 645 SLR (I am hooked on film, otherwise 5DII would be surely great). and P&S for snaps (S100, GRDIII or such - really pocket small)

Thin about what type of photography you want to do - how much time will you have, who will you go with. Do you plan to move a lot around without car? Are you familiar with the local social behavior? What about the safety (depends probably were you go)? Keep in mind that you will probably need to put most of cameras to carry-on - the weight limits may become a problem.

Peejay
10-Jan-2012, 16:20
My wife and I just spent 2 weeks in Sri Lanka (we'd originally booked a tour of Thailand and Cambodia but had to change at last minute due to the floods). Anyway, my suggestions / comments are:

1. Kodak Tri-X 400 and Portra 400 (NC, VC or the new stuff - all great films). Alternatively Fuji Neopan 400CN and 400H (again, superb films and this time both are C41 processable)
2. Can't really comment but how would you store the negs whilst travelling round? Personally, I'd save the canisters or ship them home.
3. Are you a sniper or a machine gunner? Do you shoot mostly colour, mostly mono or about the same? Only you can answer this question but my guess is that an average of 1 roll of each per day might not be a bad place to start.
4. Backpacks have a certain convenience as they are easy to carry and leave your arms free but I prefer a good shoulder bag. I have a Billingham Hadley and a Billingham 225. The 225 came with me to Sri Lanka. I carried a Leica R3, 3 lenses (28, 50 and 90mm) + Ricoh GR1s + film, filters, etc.
5. Personally, I wouldn't use take the 5x4 unless you're supremely gifted at using it as a point and shoot or you will have time to use a tripod, etc. For me, SE Asia is about hustle and bustle and a 35mm (SLR or Rangefinder) and/or a 6x6, 6x7 Mamiya (or similar) are ideal. I just think a 5x4 is too big and cumbersome to get the best out of it as people will be in your face all day, every day in the bigger towns and cities. It all depends on your stress thresholds and whether you can ignore all that's going on round you to work the 5x4. In all honesty, my Ricoh GR1s probably saw most action.

Hope you have a great time.

lbenac
10-Jan-2012, 16:25
I think that what Matus says carries a lot of weight. I would consider a full 4x5 only if you will be staying for some time at a place i.e. rent a farm in the South of France or stay at a resort at the beach.
This is to say that you are not running around between a train and a taxi or a bus with your wife waiting but you can take a couple of hours to make a special photography outing while she is enjoying a glass of wine on the terasse

Otherwise MF makes a lot of sense. I traveled lately with a Pentax 67 and a 75mm Shift. Did I regretted not to have the 4x5 on many shots - you bet - did I still regretted it when my wife was telling all our friends how patient she has been while I had been taking this and that shot - not so much

Cheers,

Luc

jp
11-Jan-2012, 11:45
1. I'd take only B&W film and use the DSLR for color. I'd take tmy2 but if you're more familar with trix or hp5+, those would be fine too. For LF I'd bring two boxes of 50 and a changing bag or hope for a dark bathroom. Two boxes would allow you to have a new and used box as you start reloading holders. If you use a MF only for film, I'd bring 20-30 rolls, but that's me.

2. If you're not in a rush, I'd take the film home carryon or mail it home. I have no idea what the situation is in those places for developing. Perhaps a couple different methods so all your eggs are not in one basket.

LF or MF is personal preference. If you're taking time to make photos, either would be fine. If you're on a hectic schedule, probably MF would be a little more convenient. You've got a DSLR for documentary style use, and can use the film cameras for a subset of things you think would be best done that way. tmy2 would be fine enough grain that you could get away without LF unless you are planning to make massive enlargements.

for storage/transport, I like pelican cases. A 1450 is ideal for a medium format camera, light meter, and a bunch of film and filters. A 1510 with padded dividers will hold a speed graphic, a couple holders, and some DSLR gear.

ConnorR
11-Jan-2012, 14:29
If it were me, and I had to choose, I'd take the Hasselblad. I'd take HP5+ and Portra VC. Develop back home, then you can do it at your leisure. I'd bring at least 10 rolls of each and try to shoot them all.

Frank Petronio
11-Jan-2012, 15:10
While medium format is most practical, if you want to commit then take the 5x4 Graphic, which can be handheld, and only bring Portra 400, which can be printed B&W and has tremendous latitude and versatility. Only shoot 5x4 with 5x4 film, not 120, otherwise you might as well bring the medium format camera.

Do some test runs first to make sure you know the camera and workflow perfectly.

Just toss the Graphic into any consumer backpack, they are tough. Grafmatic film holders are a lot more compact and convenient for travel. And consider leaving the DSLR at home and just bringing a quality compact (a Fuji X100!) for street shots and also as a light meter. Or just bring the DSLR with one prime lens.... put it in Neoprene Zing type case and toss it in with the Graphic. I use a cheap Nikon D60 with the 35/1.8 normal lens for such duties, rugged, easy to carry, not very expensive.

Matus Kalisky
12-Jan-2012, 14:12
I would say what Frank says sounds like a very good idea, but just to mess with you a bit, have a look at the Saber 4x5 (http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/saber.html) rangefinder from Chamonix. It must be the lightest 4x5 rangefinder camera (850g with Symmar 120 ). it will only work with one lens (120 - 150), but this a 1 or 2 grafmatic holders (which it is optimized for) could be a great yet light kit. It gives you no movements though if you would intend to put it on tripod and make some more involved focusing for landscape. The is the Graphic much better choice.

lbenac
12-Jan-2012, 18:39
I would say what Frank says sounds like a very good idea, but just to mess with you a bit, have a look at the Saber 4x5 (http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/saber.html) rangefinder from Chamonix. It must be the lightest 4x5 rangefinder camera (850g with Symmar 120 ). it will only work with one lens (120 - 150), but this a 1 or 2 grafmatic holders (which it is optimized for) could be a great yet light kit. It gives you no movements though if you would intend to put it on tripod and make some more involved focusing for landscape. The is the Graphic much better choice.

I just got one and I put a picture of it loaded in a small Domke bag with four Grafmatic :) I can vouch that it is very light specially if you are used to a Pentax 67...

Kimberly Anderson
12-Jan-2012, 18:47
I took a Canham 5x7, several lenses, 3 boxes of film and 10 holders to Sweden two summers ago. Tripod, darkcloth, etc... I relied on finding bathrooms, etc. for changing. I had all of my film hand-inspected at each point.

I also took 2 Hasselblads and 30 rolls of film. Shot all of the 5x7 and the 120. I was there for three weeks and had a van and was mobile most of the time.

Yes it was a pain. Yes it was worth it.

munz6869
13-Jan-2012, 03:27
I take a 5x4" wooden field camera and a Rolleiflex on travels (last year I took a Fuji 645 as well) - and even though I mostly use the Rollei - I'm always so glad I've made some LF shots, and they are such fun to process and print. Yes, it's a pain and requires careful management and organisation, but (ahem), LF is like that even without the travel, n'est ce pas?

Marc!

eddie
13-Jan-2012, 05:18
i traveled extensively in SE Asia for many years. i use an f100 and an RB 67 most of the time.

i did bring a 4x5 once. what i did was primarily shoot portraits with it. great stuff. i set up on the street in Rangoon and people just lined up....stayed there in that spot for 4 days.

not sure how r what you shoot. i would say go light. a P&S digital, the hassy and one lens and the 4x5 with one lens if you want to take all three. even if you had all three i would only take the P&S and one of the bigger cameras out at a time.

as for film for the 4x5, pick one. B&W would be my choice. have an extra film box or two to keep the negs. ship them home for processing. i would wait a couple of weeks, shuffle them and send em home. the thailand EMS post is excellent.

eddie

Steven Scanner
13-Jan-2012, 06:33
My father used to travel a lot. The first time he traveled with his medium format camera, he came back with undeveloped film. When he developed them, the images were damaged (over exposed by the scanner at customs. I don't know if this is stil the case with modern scanners, but something to consider. If possible I'd go for developing at location.
I personally never traveled with LF, only with (pardon my french), digital compact. :)

Kav
13-Jan-2012, 18:23
Thank you all for your responses.

I'd love to take both film cameras, and if I can find a bag big enough to take the film cameras and a DSLR with out killing myself I will jump on it. I do have the option of not bringing a digital camera. But I'm sure I would want one with either a fast 35mm or 50mm lens (like Frank said). I'm not really keen on getting another film camera right now, I'd rather put my money into a new lens or two (still searching high and low for a good deal on a coated Kodak Ektar 203mm F7.7 and a wide angle for the Hassy.) and for film. Can't do much with out film. I do have my grandpa's old 35mm range finder from Korea. It needs to be repaired before I use it though. And means I have to take one more size of film. If I take the LF camera I would take the 127mm and 90mm F6.8. If I can get a 203mm I'd take it too. But I would stop with that. The 127mm and 203mm lenses take up next to no room anyways. I only have a 80mm for the Hassy, and do not think I will be getting any more lenses in the near future. So that's what I would be shooting with if it goes.

I am faster shooting with the Hassy, but enjoy shooting the Speed Graphic. I was also asked to bring that one with me by my friend that I would be traveling with. So that's the reason I'm looking into it. Once I get back to the states I'm going to mill around NC shooting both on the fly to see what I truly like better. I'm also going to be shooting some Ektachrome in Colorado that my sister got for me. While not a film I'm planning on taking on my trip it's free, and a thoughtful gift from her. One thing I will need to do is make some new focus scales for the Speed Graphic. That way I can focus with out using the ground glass if I want to speed things up a bit and shoot on the fly.

I think I'm going to go with Portra 400 if I take the Speed Graphic. That focal plane shutter should be fast enough to allow me to open the lens up for DOF control. And I love the color it produces.

Matus Kalisky
14-Jan-2012, 08:23
Kav, I see that you are serious about carrying all that stuff :) In that case I would advice you to have a look at the backpacks and camera & lens cases (and some more useful stuff) from Bruce at photobackpacker (http://photobackpacker.com/home.php). The backpacks are very light and strong. The cases are semi-hard, weight next to nothing and allow to organize the gear. And Bruce is a very nice guy to deal with.

Kav
15-Jan-2012, 23:41
Matus,

That backpack looks to be just what I need. thank you very much for the info.

Kav
28-Jan-2012, 11:28
Ok, It looks like I'm going to Thailand in May for my trip (with a trip to Arizona right before). I think I will pick up the bag that Matus recommended. So now I need to get a good tripod. I'm looking for one that is light, folds up to be compact, and can take abuse. Work lets me use one that I really like, but I don't want to limit myself to just picking what my work uses. I've been using what is basically a Benro C-0691 tripod. Any ideas?

Tim Meisburger
28-Jan-2012, 16:57
Kav, if you go to Angkor Wat without your 4x5 you will forever regret it. I say a digital for the cheap shots and 4x5 when you have time. Black and white 90%, but don't neglect to bring a few sheets of E6 for markets and such. Develop the B&W as you go if you can, and carry your film, exposed or unexposed, through airports. One guy I read about carried his on his person, so it was only exposed to the body scanner, but in the modern airports of Cambodia and Thailand the carry-on scanner should not be a problem. Still, if there is a big luggage scanner as you enter the airport, I would stick my film in my pocket!

There is, or was a year ago, a place in Bangkok that does E6. Give me a shout if you go though Bangkok and I'll buy you a beer.

Cheers, Tim

Kav
31-Jan-2012, 14:53
Tim, It looks like I will only make it to Thailand now due to having to go to Arizona first. Cambodia will have to wait for now... But I do get to take all of my camera gear to AZ for free, so I can't complain. I'm going to start and end my trip in Bangkok, and will drop you a line when I have more details as to when I'm going. I would love to meet up for a cold one. Would you be willing to see if there is anywhere still processing E6 in Bangkok for me of you have the time?

I'm having some Ektachrome E100G and T-max 100 4x5 sent to AZ to practice with. Thinking about it if I can feel comfortable shooting slides I might as well run with that.I have family there too that want's to hiking and shooting film while I'm there. It's a shame I had to pack up my film cameras for the trip back to the US. I'm sure I'll have some shot that I'm going to want to shoot with film pop up...

I've got my LF kit nailed down now (baring something getting dropped into my lap) I'll be taking 3 lenses for the Speed Graphic, a 90mm f6.8 Grandagon, the 127mm Ektar (coupled to the rangefinder for "spur of the moment" shots), and a 203mm Ektar. I'm still trying to nail down the digi (please don't stone me) kit. I am taking my D7000 and 2 or three lenses. I am taking a 50mm f1.4 (my main lens), my 8mm f3.5 fisheye and/or my 70-300mm. I'm not worried about a zoom so much because my friend has one as well, and I would like to not have have over-lapping lenses.

I need to get some more filters for the LF lenses and a light tripod and I should be set.

Kav
17-Apr-2012, 19:31
Well I got my ticket to Thailand today. So It's official, I'm going for two weeks. Between what I ordered today and what I have on hand this is what I settled on for film:

For 4x5,
100 sheets of Kodak T-Max 100
100 sheets of Kodak Ektachrome E100
50 sheets of Kodak Portra 400 (I may order a full 100 sheets)
20 sheets of Kodak Ektar 100 (just in case I run out of my other film)

I also decided to not take a DSLR and will be using a few 35mm cameras as needed. I'm looking to do some diving and taking my Nikonos-V and also taking a DSLR didn't seem to make much sense. So I am going to take the Nikonos and either my Nikon FE2 or a F4 The Nikonos would be the back up camera to the other 35mm. I'm leaning towards the F4. I plan to shoot all of the large format film.

For 35mm I am taking:
10 rolls of Ilford Delta 100
10 rolls of Kodak Gold 100
5 rolls of Kodak T-Max P3200

I figure I can get more 35mm while I am there if I need it.

I've had a great time shooting and developing film with my family down here in AZ. I have also found out that my hand held light meter is spot on. So bring the chromes.

Tim Meisburger
17-Apr-2012, 21:11
That's a lot of film for two weeks! That would last me more than a year...

Kav
17-Apr-2012, 22:19
That's a lot of film for two weeks! That would last me more than a year...
It is a lot of film, but I was always told "go big or go home." And well, I will not be at home so I am required to go big here. :) I'm thinking this will give me a reason to get a scanner. I can't even fathom the cost of getting all of those negatives scanned. I am planning on doing most if not all of the developing myself once I get back to the states.