PDA

View Full Version : What kinds of pointing devices do you prefer?

paulr
5-Jan-2012, 10:43
For the first time ever I've been experimenting. I loved the standard Mac mouse (called the Mighty Mouse before Disney sued). The design was brilliant, except for where it sucked: the scroll ball would get gunked up and useless, and there was ultimately no way to clean it short of doing surgery (many Youtube videos describe the procedure. It involves tweezers, a tiny crowbar, and glue). After doing it once, I concluded: F**k This.

I wanted to try a tablet, which seems to be the first choice of most computer graphics people. I also wanted to have access to multi-touch gestures, since this seems like the direction of the Mac OS (and user interfaces in general).

Oddly, the only devices I could find that combined both a tablet stylus and a track pad are the Wacom Bamboo pads. I got the Bamboo Capture and have been using it for about three weeks.

I almost love it. Some of my hesitation comes from unfamiliarity. I have years of habits to remake. Some comes from software bugs and shortcomings. Wacom's tech support has been very responsive, but they haven't solved anything. A good software update would make this thing killer.

I still don't know if I will be 100% happy using in place of a mouse all the time. I hope this happens; it would be nice to keep things simple and not have to have a mouse in addition.

The Magic Mouse is pretty cool, but I find the button kind of stiff and fatiguing to use for long stretches. I'd consider other mice too … preferably bluetooth, since the tablet already occupies my closest USB port.

BradS
5-Jan-2012, 18:54
I want everything to have a touch screen like the Apple iPad and to understand the same finger gestures as the iPhone and iPod touch. (yeah, i drink the apple flavored kool-aid and sometimes drool) :)

EDIT: for those machines that don't have a touch screen I am satisfied with the standard 3 button desk top rodent that shipped with Dell Desktop machines circa 2006. Yes, I even use this on the Apple mini mac at home.

Richard Wasserman
5-Jan-2012, 19:13
I like Apple's Magic Mouse. http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/

BradS
5-Jan-2012, 19:17
I like Apple's Magic Mouse. http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/

oooooaaaahhhh......I think I just soiled myself......!!!!

I like Apple's Magic Mouse.
:) :) :)

(thanks Richard!)

Ben Hopson
5-Jan-2012, 19:28
I use a Logitech M570 TrackBall for a mouse and Wacom Intuos4 Tablet for most of my photo editing. I recently bought the Bluetooth Logitech M570 to see how it would work for my needs and it is, for me anyway, much more comfortable to use than the typical mouse you have to move around on the desktop. I use it with a MacPro and MackBook Pro.

Ben

Daniel Stone
5-Jan-2012, 21:16
one of these:

http://www.infogrip.com/product_view.asp?RecordNumber=98

found it on ebay for $50 shipped(slightly used). Looks like a kids toy IMO, and receives snide remarks from family and friends ;), but totally worth it IMO. My (former) mouse-wielding hand has less fatigue if I'm at the computer for a while, and its totally worth the ridicule.

-Dan

Larry Gebhardt
5-Jan-2012, 21:31
I use this: http://www.kensington.com/kensington/us/us/p/1444/K64325/expert-mouse%C2%AE.aspx

My keyboard tray is a bit cramped so I find using a mouse a bit frustrating as I run into the sides. The trackball is perfect. Plus it's very precise for Photoshop work. And my wrist hurts less after using it all day than when i use a mouse.

I do have a Magic Mouse in the house, and I like it most of the time. But I frequently find I touch the edge of the moise with my hand in such a way that it scrolls the page, or more annoyingly zooms the map in or out on google maps.

paulr
5-Jan-2012, 23:13
I've been using a magic mouse at a freelance gig. I mostly like it. This sounds wussy, but it annoys me how much force it takes to push the button. My index finger feels a little sore at the end of the day. Not like sore from a workout, but sore from an overused tendon.

Interesting reading reviews how many people say they had to switch from a mouse to a trackpad to avoid overuse injuries ... and how many say the opposite.

D-tach
6-Jan-2012, 09:18
I use this: http://www.kensington.com/kensington/us/us/p/1444/K64325/expert-mouse%C2%AE.aspx

My keyboard tray is a bit cramped so I find using a mouse a bit frustrating as I run into the sides. The trackball is perfect. Plus it's very precise for Photoshop work. And my wrist hurts less after using it all day than when i use a mouse.

I do have a Magic Mouse in the house, and I like it most of the time. But I frequently find I touch the edge of the moise with my hand in such a way that it scrolls the page, or more annoyingly zooms the map in or out on google maps.

+1
it even comes with a small cushion to rest your hand on so you don't have to lift your arm nor your hand - just your fingers are moving.

Although for making precise selections in Photoshop I think a Wacom tablet might be easier

Tom

rdenney
6-Jan-2012, 09:53
Can you use multiple pointing devices on a Mac?

I have a Watcom tablet (Graphire4, I think) on my photo desktop computer (a PC). But I also have a regular mouse.

On my laptop, I have a trackpad, which supports multi-finger gestures (not quite the same as those on the iOS, but still stuff like pinch zoom), and a separate wireless mouse. I switch back and forth for general pointing and clicking, depending on which is annoying me at the moment.

In both cases, the pointing devices are all plugged in at the same time and coexist happily.

Rick "wondering if Apple supports multiple USB human interface devices" Denney

PhotoToyo
6-Jan-2012, 10:15
I have both an Apple Magic Mouse (http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/) and an Apple Magic Trackpad (http://www.apple.com/magictrackpad/). They are both always connected (wirelessly via Bluetooth) to my Mac Pro so I can switch back and forth as needed, no extra steps required. I love the gestures of a trackpad when doing simple everyday tasks in Mac OS, but like the "accuracy" of a mouse when using PS. I have really enjoyed having both available.

paulr
7-Jan-2012, 08:26
Rick "wondering if Apple supports multiple USB human interface devices" Denney

You can have at least two, probably as many as you want. The cursor acts confused if you try to actually use them at the same time.

adam satushek
7-Jan-2012, 09:56
I'm a little surprised there has not been more mention of Wacom tablets. In my opinionated opinion they are the only way to do Photoshop. Been using them for years and now don't feel I can properly manipulate Photoshop without one. Especially if I'm doing any layer masking, but even for precise curve adjustments. Also, prefer them over normal mice for everyday internet surfing and such. I have 2, the Intuos 3 6x11, and the Intuos 4x5. Smaller one is mostly used for traveling with the laptop, but can also hook them both up to the same computer and have each mapped to its own monitor. A nice setup if you use a second monitor for pallets.

patrickjames
7-Jan-2012, 10:39
I feel the opposite Adam. I have never been able to get used to tablets. I know quite a few others that feel the same and stick with mice. I always wanted to get used to them. I have a background in art before photography so they should be easy for me to use but I have always found them awkward.

ROL
7-Jan-2012, 10:43
I loved the standard Mac mouse (called the Mighty Mouse before Disney sued). The design was brilliant, except for where it sucked: the scroll ball would get gunked up and useless, and there was ultimately no way to clean it short of doing surgery (many Youtube videos describe the procedure. It involves tweezers, a tiny crowbar, and glue). After doing it once, I concluded: F**k This.

FYI: The ball did get frequently sludged up with finger grease and dirt, but every one I saw had an easily removable lock ring for cleaning. One could usually rub the gunk off with a finger or engage in a more thorough cleaning with alcohol. I believe clear vodka resulted in less headaches than Jack. :D

cjbroadbent
8-Jan-2012, 09:39
I follow Adam, and prefer a Wacom tablet. And a small one is less strain on the wrist. If you can sign your name with a pointing device then it's good for masking and retouching.

Matus Kalisky
9-Jan-2012, 02:58
I am not doing any heavy graphical work, but since I got my 13" MacBook back in late 2008 - all I ever needed was the touchpad. Large, smooth, with multi-finger ability which I love. I use it for all my Photoshop work. Should it not be enough I would go directly to some king of tablet. I would only get mouse if I would start to play computer games again :p

paulr
11-Jan-2012, 00:17
FYI: The ball did get frequently sludged up with finger grease and dirt, but every one I saw had an easily removable lock ring for cleaning. One could usually rub the gunk off with a finger or engage in a more thorough cleaning with alcohol. I believe clear vodka resulted in less headaches than Jack. :D

Different mouse. I'm talking about the one released as the mighty mouse, and now sold as the apple mouse. There's no lock ring, or easily removeable anything. It has to be broken to get to the insides, disassembled with tweezers, cleaned with q-tips and alcohol, and glued back together. Surgery is explained here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jet7488UoSE). I won't go back.

I've actually started to appreciate the newer Magic Mouse (the one with the flat, touch sensitive top). Apple's driver software is crippled, but there's freeware called Better Touch Tool that lets you customize it with a huge range of multitouch gestures. I just got a used one on ebay to have alongside the wacom (which uses both pen and touch). I'm finding I'm faster for most things with the mouse, although the different modes of the wacom each offer advantages.

joolsb
12-Jan-2012, 07:47
I think you have to go a long way to beat the combination of a Wacom tablet (for the heavy PS work) and the Apple Magic Trackpad for multi-touch gestures that I use...

paulr
12-Jan-2012, 12:07
I think you have to go a long way to beat the combination of a Wacom tablet (for the heavy PS work) and the Apple Magic Trackpad for multi-touch gestures that I use...

Wacom is making models that do both. If they improve the drivers, and extend the touch capabilities to the pro models, they'll have a killer product.

I'm still finding that I'm a bit faster for most things with a mouse. Not sure if this is just because of years of habit.