PDA

View Full Version : What is the best approach to getting your work seen

Craig Griffiths
4-Jan-2012, 19:13
I have the opportunity to participate in an artists group that focusses on getting emerging artists work seen in my local area. The group includes artists using various media and they do a number of publications, exhibitions and projects throughout the year.

My goals in my photography have never been about making money from it, but rather to share things as I see them. I dont profess to be an expert, although like many here I often receive compliments for the work I display whether at work or in a couple of cafe's and restaurants where I have displayed my work (these have had dedicated galleries for local artists attached to them). I have drifted along over the last few years trying different things in my photography and have found that I am most comfortable now producing 8x20 soft focus landscapes printed using alternate processes (predominantly salt printing) and have been for a couple of years now.

For me the only drawbacks in becoming involved are the risk of rejection (my self esteem is sometimes not as high as it could be), and the risk of trying to create what someone else wants rather than what I want to create.

My question is whether you would, or have, become involved in an emerging artists group, and if would you do it even if your goals were not so much about selling work, but sharing it with others, or are there better ways of doing it? Any experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Craig Griffiths

ROL
4-Jan-2012, 19:17
Toss it out into the middle of the road.

Sorry, my art–esteem is pretty low myself these days :o

ROL
4-Jan-2012, 19:19
Toss it out into the middle of the road.

Sorry, my art–esteem is pretty low myself these days :o

Now, that wasn't really very helpful, was it?

ROL
4-Jan-2012, 19:20
Now, that wasn't really very helpful, was it?

I said I was sorry.

ROL
4-Jan-2012, 19:23
I said I was sorry.

This brief interlude brought to you as an alternative to deletion.

Reason: Stupid Comment

vinny
4-Jan-2012, 19:38
facebook

Eric Rose
5-Jan-2012, 10:09
Become some "recognized" art snobs bitch.

Jim collum
5-Jan-2012, 11:00
i know quite a number of photographers who make their living with their work, sold through galleries (all in the A or B list category). Without an exception, none has made it there as the result of 'knowing someone'. They work hard (*VERY* hard) at what they do. They made sure their work was seen by as many gallery owners as possible, and didn't stop because someone didn't like what they saw. More than a few of them have participated in portfolio reviews (not the ones given by other photographers giving workshops.. but those on a National/International level.. Photolucida, Review Santa Fe, FotoFest...).

Their work is unique, with a style that is recognizable. if someone says 'your work looks like....', that's a good thing if you want to produce work like ... , not a good thing if you want representation in galleries.

If I could recommend just one resource as a sanity check as to where your work is, it would be Mary Swanson ( http://mvswanson.com/ ). She knows the Photo Art market like none other, and has very little problem in being direct about your work. No one will walk out of a consulting session with her with false hopes of photographic stardom... but you will come out with a reality check, and a plan on how to get where you want to go.

the above is only based on my experiences so far, and only really relevant if you're looking at getting your work seen on a National/International level

(oh.. and none spend much time on the Internet)

paulr
5-Jan-2012, 11:01
Become some "recognized" art snobs bitch.

Are there personals in the back pages of Art Forum?

Kirk Gittings
5-Jan-2012, 11:25
Do a project that is thematic and get it published. You are far more likely at the beginning of your career to get a thematic project published and shown than a collection of your "Art" photography. Hence I did the projects on Chaco Canyon and historic New Mexico churches and had numerous publications, books and exhibits. Those projects still have legs today. Thematic projects can reach broader audiences than just the art crowd so they are more attractive to magazines museums etc.

paulr
5-Jan-2012, 12:41
You are far more likely at the beginning of your career to get a thematic project published and shown than a collection of your "Art" photography. Hence I did the projects on Chaco Canyon and historic New Mexico churches and had numerous publications, books and exhibits.

I'm surprised to see art projects contrasted with thematic ones. By thematic are you talking about projects with a documentary bent?

Most of the art projects I see could be described thematically.

36cm2
6-Jan-2012, 15:00
Apologies if you've already seen this, but this is certainly a novel approach that you may want to consider:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/art-student-hangs-own-painting-in-major-museum-in-poland-to-promote-young-artists/2012/01/04/gIQAJjnJaP_story.html

;) Leo

Kirk Gittings
6-Jan-2012, 15:27
I'm surprised to see art projects contrasted with thematic ones. By thematic are you talking about projects with a documentary bent?

Most of the art projects I see could be described thematically.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not contrasting art vs. thematic-that would make no sense in photography especially. I am saying that a thematically based group of images-again take my Chaco portfolio (my most successful art project)-has the potential of reaching various audiences and is very attractive to periodicals and museums etc. because of that. Quality of course is a given in this discussion. This as opposed to a random group of great images.

It was really 2005 after showing since 1972, that I was able to get museum shows that were random collections of my best work as opposed to more thematic groups. The details of my experience are not important but the theme is. Thematic exhibits are easier to get shown.

falth j
6-Jan-2012, 15:33
Try and get yourself the heck out of Brisbane...

And if you can find your way here:

I have heard, not personally, but from hearsay, that you could stand, a pretty good chance of being seen, and having your work viewed by literally thousands of people every day...

I think the location is in Ohio; Columbus some say is the city.

The location for best exposure and viewing is supposedly at the Hudson Street ramp, off northbound I-71 in Columbus.

Lest you think this is improbable and not doable, there has been a fair amount of reportage about being exposed here, and there is definitely one other person who can attest to having a fair amount of success showing off his wares at this location...

Ted Williams...

Pawlowski6132
6-Jan-2012, 15:50
Flickr

Mark Sawyer
7-Jan-2012, 12:12
Apologies if you've already seen this, but this is certainly a novel approach that you may want to consider:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/art-student-hangs-own-painting-in-major-museum-in-poland-to-promote-young-artists/2012/01/04/gIQAJjnJaP_story.html

;) Leo

These things have been going on for decades. Note the reference to a 1971 event in this story about a 2011 recreation of the event:

http://hubbub.wbur.org/2011/06/15/mfa-bathroom-exhibit

Fun and relatively harmless.