PDA

View Full Version : I made the change to VueScan...

Jehu
2-Jan-2012, 10:15
After taking advantage of the "free" upgrade of VueScan by promising not to upgrade my Silverfast, I've been learning the differences. As near as I can figure, I may have given up a lot of features that I don't really use. The workflow of VueScan is much simpler. There are a few hidden tricks like adding a '+' to the filename so it will just increment numbers as it adds batch scan files to the folder.

The only real problem that I seem to be having is contrast on BW scans. Everything is coming out very low contrast. Has anyone else experienced this with VueScan?

SW Rick
2-Jan-2012, 10:41
Chris Crawford has some good information on his website re. this with Vuescan (http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/technical/scanning), and he says what you seem to be getting is what he gets; I get the same. Adjust in LR/PS.

Jehu
2-Jan-2012, 10:53
The link seems to be 404 Rick

patrickjames
2-Jan-2012, 11:03
That low contrast is called information! Actually it is one of the reasons to like Vuescan. If you want to adjust the contrast during the scan, under the color tab there is a "curve low" and "curve high". The default for these is .25 and .75 respectively. As those numbers move inward towards .50 the contrast increases. I have found generally that .30 and .70 produce a more normal look. It sounds as if you may find that as well. These two sliders have more effect on the way the image looks than nearly anything else. Play with them a little and you will see. A good scan doesn't need much adjustment in Photoshop.

Peter Mounier
2-Jan-2012, 11:04
I always work in the "manual" mode for color balance under the color tab. If your whites are gray, increase the value for "white point" under the color tab. If your blacks are muddy, increase the value for "black point". It's better not to actually have a "black" point in the scan, but rather almost black. Same with the white point, so they don't get clipped. You can further adjust the contrast with the brightness tab, and tweek the results using the "curve low" and "curve high" adjustments. It may help if you can post a pic of your result and include a screen capture of the "color" drop down menu.
Btw, the link doesn't work because there is a parenthesis at the end of it that shouldn't be there. Also, a .php needs to be at the end... http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/technical/scanning.php

Peter

sully75
2-Jan-2012, 19:02
The scans in that link are super duper contrasty, quite a bit past my taste. I'm not positive but I think the scan it in flat and then drag it out philosophy ends up producing overly contrasty results (read: doesn't really look like film photography to me, or at least, the stuff I want it to look like).

I've seen other people recommend the scan as negative and then invert philosophy too, and find the results equally unconvincing. My method: futz around with it till it looks about right in Epson Scan and then hope for the best. Not particularly satisfying either but I think it works about as well.

D. Bryant
2-Jan-2012, 19:16
After taking advantage of the "free" upgrade of VueScan by promising not to upgrade my Silverfast, I've been learning the differences. As near as I can figure, I may have given up a lot of features that I don't really use. The workflow of VueScan is much simpler. There are a few hidden tricks like adding a '+' to the filename so it will just increment numbers as it adds batch scan files to the folder.

The only real problem that I seem to be having is contrast on BW scans. Everything is coming out very low contrast. Has anyone else experienced this with VueScan?
You may wish to take a look at The Vuescan Bible by Sasha Steinhoff.

I got a free Kindle download from Amazon.com.

Brian Ellis
3-Jan-2012, 07:32
I used Vuescan for several years, also used Silverfast for several years. I never found a major difference between them in terms of the final output. Silverfast had more options and so more control but it was a little more complicated to learn if you wanted to take advantage of all the options (though I didn't think Vuescan was all that instinctive either). Silverfast's customer service was better in my limited experience with both - Silverfast always responded to questions though it could take a little time, the Vuescan guy responded sometimes and other times didn't.

The best thing about Vuescan when I was using it was that it was transferable from one scanner to another at no cost, with Silverfast you had to buy it again if you wanted to use it with another scanner. I'm not sure the same policies exist today with either of them, today I use the Epson software.

Brian Legge
3-Jan-2012, 08:23
I switched to VueScane about a year ago from the CanonScan plugin. It really took me a while to adjust to it. I settled on a workflow that looked about like this:

// Set the lock exposure color, first time scanning a series of negatives from the same film/development run.

1) Insert first negative of a series
2) Uncheck the 'lock exposure' option from the front tab
3) Preview
4) Select part of the negative outside the frame
5) Preview
6) Lock

// Scan a negative

7) Preview
8) Crop
9) Adjust color (usually I start with the white / black values set to 0/0.1, down from the default 0/1 to get as much info as I can). Curves left in normal place
9a) Adjust the white/black values to higher numbers if I want to lose detail in part of the negative
9b) Occasionally adjust the high / low values
9c) Occasionally adjust brightness.

I generally scan with the expectation that I'll open the photo afterwards in image editing software to fine tune it. I do the contrast adjustments there. I just want to be sure I have as much information to start with that is useful to me for a given scan leaving VueScan.

It took me a good month or so using VueScan before I found my rhythm. Until then, I felt like I was bumping into bugs and quirks all the time. Most of that was me failing to understand exactly what was going on with it. Definitely be patient with yourself while learning to use it.

Edit:
Oh, and on the 'color' tab, I set the film to 'Generic Color Film' for both black and white and color scanning. There is no 'generic black and white' option. I think this was one of the pages I used when figuring all of this out: http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/discuss/72157608204093047/. If I am scanning color film, I usually do the 'lock film base' step as well though I'm less confident I have all of that figured out yet. I usually have to do some color correction after the fact.

Jehu
4-Jan-2012, 09:10
You may wish to take a look at The Vuescan Bible by Sasha Steinhoff.

I got a free Kindle download from Amazon.com.

I checked on that. It's $9.99. If it helps, I'll spend the $10. The reviews indicate that it's mostly a "getting started" level book. Has anyone else benefited from this book?

Brian Ellis
4-Jan-2012, 09:43
There is, or used to be, a book for Silverfast called "Silverfast: The Official Guide" by Taz Tally. It was very useful in figuring out all the many options in Silverfast and in establishing a work flow, much more useful to me than the manual. I don't know if it's been updated or is still in print but even an old copy would probably be helpful if one can be found.

SW Rick
4-Jan-2012, 10:18
I checked on that. It's $9.99. If it helps, I'll spend the $10. The reviews indicate that it's mostly a "getting started" level book. Has anyone else benefited from this book?

I have the paper version, and think $9.99 would be a bargain and well-worth it (since I paid about $25).

Ken Lee
4-Jan-2012, 10:25
"The only real problem that I seem to be having is contrast on BW scans."

You might find this brief article helpful: Scanning Tips (with EPSON and VueScan Software) (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/scanning.php).

It's all about contrast on BW scans. ;)

D. Bryant
8-Jan-2012, 20:41

Amazon gave me a $9.99 credit bringing the total to $0.00. So it maybe free for everyone from Amazon.com.

lbenac
8-Jan-2012, 20:49
"The only real problem that I seem to be having is contrast on BW scans."

You might find this brief article helpful: Scanning Tips (with EPSON and VueScan Software) (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/scanning.php).

It's all about contrast on BW scans. ;)

+1 on Ken's tip regarding setting the curve as close to zero as possible instead of the default.. I had not seen it anywhere. I do not think that it is in the book referenced.
I do not use his workflow of color channel output but select the green channel directly in Vuescan.

Cheers,

Luc

Ken Lee
8-Jan-2012, 20:57
Yes, you can do that in VueScan. Thanks for pointing that out. I will update the article. :)

When using a staining developer, you can also scan according to the color of the stain if you like. This gives a different contrast curve, and given a scanner of sufficient resolution, could enhance the grain-minimizing effect.

lbenac
8-Jan-2012, 21:26
Yes, you can do that in VueScan. Thanks for pointing that out. I will update the article. :)

When using a staining developer, you can also scan according to the color of the stain if you like. This gives a different contrast curve, and given a scanner of sufficient resolution, could enhance the grain-minimizing effect.

Yes I think that with Pyrocat/PMK you can use the blue channel (brown/yellow stain?), specially for 120 on a Nikon scanner.

Cheers,

Luc

Kirk Gittings
11-Jan-2012, 16:14
FWIW I recently retried Vuescan. I gave up on it 5-6 years ago in favour of Silverfast and BOY has it grown up as software! I was amazed.

renes
11-Feb-2013, 04:15
Anybody save scans only in RAW using VueScan? It seems best way - you get scans with no soft modification. I wonder if you see any troubles with RAW files opened in PhotoShop? I get RAW files dark, they are darker than images on my negatives. VueScan guide explains it's normal but I got scan much darker than negative image what put the question what tool in PhotoShop should be used first to bring the scan to level of the original image?

Another issue I struggle with is choice a proper film from Film list... I scan now Adox CHS 25, it's not listed there, so I experiment with some listed films but I am never fully satisfied with the results... and it's not possible to exclude them all, you have to choice one but this affect the image in own way.

So, I wonder if there is any settings in VueScan that makes you are able to see the image of your negative in scanning panel, as it is - with no soft modification?

Ken Lee
11-Feb-2013, 04:40
I wonder if there is any settings in VueScan that makes you are able to see the image of your negative in scanning panel, as it is - with no soft modification?

Yes.

You might find this brief article helpful: Scanning Tips (with EPSON and VueScan Software) (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/scanning.php). See the section entitled "Correct the VueScan Settings Before Scanning"

renes
13-Feb-2013, 15:31
Thanks Ken.

BTW, scanning Adox 25 I do not any differences in quality between scanning in color 48 bit (green channel) and gray 16 bit.

Ed Richards
13-Feb-2013, 16:51
Another nice feature of Vuescan: the program holds the raw scan data in memory after the scan. You can change the settings and just resave the image. Sometimes I save more than one version and see which looks best in PS. If your scanner supports it, Vuescan will also take a second sample at each point with a different exposure, then combine them for better dynamic range.

ROL
15-Feb-2013, 10:45
FWIW I recently retried Vuescan. I gave up on it 5-6 years ago in favour of Silverfast and BOY has it grown up as software! I was amazed.

Same here. Timely thread for me. I'm primarily interested in keeping my Polaroid SprintScan (120) alive, even though I almost never use it – or my outdated version of at best poorly understood and under-utilized Silverfast. It needs to be upgraded (again! :mad:) to work a recent major computer upgrade (iMac 27") from an old G5. VueScan again holds promise as it seems to still support the SprintScan and a much easier to understand interface. I won't know for sure until I can acquire the Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 to Firewire 400 connections. Otherwise, the iMac itself seems to have basic scanner software onboard for my other printer/scanners and Epson 4990. VueScan appears to be a somewhat more "professional" solution as well, when needed.

Preston
15-Feb-2013, 11:29
Vue Scan has been a workhorse for me, and litterally saved me. I used either Microtek's Scan Wizard or Silverfast with my 1800f until I upgraded to Win-7 64 bit. Neither Microtek or Lasersoft had updated 64 bit drivers for my Microtek scanner, so without Vue Scan I'd have been dead in the water.

I appreciate that Ed continues to make improvements to Vue Scan and also that he hasn't forgotten those of us who use legacy scanners.

--P

jkathy
5-Apr-2014, 06:42
I hope to get an advice from someone. I am scanning old pictures with VueScan to Raw (DNG). When I zoom the photo it looks horrible (squared). Possible I am doing something wrong with setting.

Actually I also scanned into Tiff format and it is the same result.

http://i7.pixs.ru/thumbs/6/4/6/scan1jpg_5917510_11551646.jpg (http://pixs.ru/showimage/scan1jpg_5917510_11551646.jpg)

Here is a sample in tiff format http://rghost.net/53789797

Thank you very much.

pasiasty
8-Apr-2014, 09:29
it looks like lossy compression (I know there should be none...)

pasiasty
8-Apr-2014, 09:43
...and it shows 8-bit depth
maybe you save from pre-view scan?

jkathy
9-Apr-2014, 15:55
Thank, you pasiasty. It was just a preview. The scan was 1200 PPi. I already bought a new scanner. It has different settings. Works fine.