PDA

View Full Version : Roll paper in an Epson 3800???

ignatiusjk
31-Dec-2011, 13:42
Has anybody ever used roll paper in a Epson 3800 printer? I'm using Ilford Gold Silk Fiber paper.I've used the Ilford paper before but in 17x22 sheets not a roll.I'm trying to make some 17x37 panoramics and it's a b!tch.

D. Bryant
31-Dec-2011, 13:55
Has anybody ever used roll paper in a Epson 3800 printer? I'm using Ilford Gold Silk Fiber paper.I've used the Ilford paper before but in 17x22 sheets not a roll.I'm trying to make some 17x37 panoramics and it's a b!tch.

I cut roll paper in the lengths I need and the flatten the paper for several days which makes it much easier to feed.

Of course the maximum print length is 37.4 inches unless you use a RIP.

ignatiusjk
31-Dec-2011, 14:54
What is rip. Do you feed roll paper any differently that cut pieces etc rear feed or automatic feed.I use the autofeed for cut 17x22 paper.

ljsegil
1-Jan-2012, 11:34
I used the manual rear feed for cut sheets from rolls, but it was frequently difficult to get the printer to take the sheets because of the excessive curl. Flattening first would certainly help.
LJ

Jon Shiu
1-Jan-2012, 11:41
You can buy an expensive d roller, or de roller, or make your own.

http://www.inkjetart.com/cart/handling-storage-deroller-c-823_835_936.html

Jon

612tom
1-Jan-2012, 18:15
I flatten rolls of Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308 by cutting the required length, then gently rolling it back on itself being careful not to crease or bruise the paper. I use a big cardboard tube lined with tissue paper to protect the printing side of the paper, and hold it in the reversed roll for 3-5 minutes depending on temperature and humidity. Any longer and the paper will take on the reversed curl!

Different papers will need different amounts of de-curling.

Be sure to cut absolutely square otherwise the printer will spit it back out again.

A long desk helps...

D. Bryant
1-Jan-2012, 19:27
What is rip.

A RIP (raster image processor) is a software application that takes the place of the Epson driver.

A replacement RIP will allow prints longer than 37.4 inches. QTR (Quad Tone RIP) is an example of an alternate RIP though limited to monochrome printing.

Color RIPs are also available but are expensive.