PDA

View Full Version : Studio Portrait Workshops in 2012

David Solow
28-Dec-2011, 05:36
Hi all,
Do any of you know of any excellent workshops in studio portrait work (H&S and full body)? I don't plan on doing my own processing, so I am most interested in a workshop that focuses on lighting, camera adjustments (tilt, swing, rise, fall, etc.), and working with models.

I am comfortable with my camera and use the camera adjustments all the time when shooting architecture. For studio portrait work, I use an MT 3000 with a Cooke 229mm lens about 90% of the time. I really haven't used the camera adjustments much for the studio portrait work. My studio has no natural light, so I shoot with strobes or continuous lighting. I use strobes about 90% of the time. And with strobes, I use them at their lowest settings with ND filters over the lights about 90% of the time, so I can use the Cooke wide open (f/4.5) for the most dramatic soft focus.

I have taken three excellent workshops in lighting and working with models already, and they were very informative. However, these workshops were geared toward the digital photographer. Now, I am looking for a LF version of this. I have already signed up for one week-long workshop, The Portrait and the View Camera, at ICP in New York in January, but I'm looking to take more.

Thanks in advance for your help,

David

cdholden
28-Dec-2011, 06:17
I'm not sure it's aimed at portrait work, but definitely soft focus and large format:
http://www.tillmancrane.com/workshop_10.php
With your residence being in NC, the VA location is even close enough to drive.

David Solow
28-Dec-2011, 07:27
Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds great. Learning how to better use my soft focus lens would be so helpful.

David

cdholden
28-Dec-2011, 13:27
Now that I think of it, Howard Austin Feld is always doing workshops with models... a lot of artistic nudes and fashion work. His work is definitely geared toward the digital SLR world, but I'm sure still applicable toward portrait work.
If nothing else, it's a good excuse to go spend a few days in Miami Beach in these colder months. :)