PDA

View Full Version : Wal-mart for 1000 ML/32 Oz measureing cup

ki6mf
26-Dec-2011, 08:47
So I was walking through Wal-mart and in housewares and found a polycarbonate 1000 ML/32 OZ measuring cup for $3.95.

My Patterson 1000 ML/32 OZ measuring cup for "Photography" was $19.95!

Same polycarbonate material!

Ahh Wal-mart first i started buying Ethernet cables there for much less than the other electronic box stores and now this!

Rain Dance
26-Dec-2011, 11:06
Yes I get my measuearing cups there too. :) the only thing I can't find is a very small measuring cup for very small quantities of developer (like rodinal).

Ari
26-Dec-2011, 11:22
For small quantity beakers, hit up a medical/chemical supply store, or look for them among over-the-counter medication.
Some cough syrups include a 10mL plastic beaker.

Rain Dance
26-Dec-2011, 11:28
Thanks for the tip. That 10ml beaker is just what I need. :)

photobymike
26-Dec-2011, 15:20
Yes I get my measuearing cups there too. :) the only thing I can't find is a very small measuring cup for very small quantities of developer (like rodinal).

I use a pipet with with a pump.. i can measure 1 ml at a time... or a 10th of a ML..... I use a scale to measure water.. 75 degrees at sea level is .998 gram so i use the scale to measure ... real accurate way of measuring.

http://www.mikepic.com

photobymike
26-Dec-2011, 15:26
So I was walking through Wal-mart and in housewares and found a polycarbonate 1000 ML/32 OZ measuring cup for $3.95.

My Patterson 1000 ML/32 OZ measuring cup for "Photography" was $19.95!

Same polycarbonate material!

Ahh Wal-mart first i started buying Ethernet cables there for much less than the other electronic box stores and now this!

I use a scale and weigh in grams to MLs. I have never found any measuring cup that was accurate.

Gem Singer
26-Dec-2011, 15:37
Mike,

Weighing out water seems like a waste of time and effort.

How accurate do you need to be when mixing photo chemicals from stock solutions?

Rick A
27-Dec-2011, 05:53
I purchased all my large measuring vessels from the local Dollar Store for (you guessed it) $1 each. I made sure I got all identicle ones. I bought childs med dosing syringes at the pharmacy for a couple of dollars each, invaluable for pulling up to 10ml from my Pyrocat-HD bottles (labled 'A' and 'B'), and a third one labled for R09, no cross contamination. I've found that consistancy accounts for more than dead on accuracy for repeatable results. My developers are stored in 250ml and 500ml recycled water bottles, tho I do have a good collection of one thru 2.5 liter Jobo bottles for fixer and stop, and other common large volume needs. "Fiji" brand water bottles are da bomb, 500ml and square, fits the Jobo holders perfectly.

frotog
27-Dec-2011, 06:07
Mike,

How accurate do you need to be when mixing photo chemicals from stock solutions?

Some people find great pleasure in drkrm. processes. Efficiency isn't always the goal.

Gem Singer
27-Dec-2011, 07:09
Frotog,

I've been doing and teaching photography darkroom procedures for over sixty years.

The advice I gave to my students who obsessed over measuring photo chemicals to a tiny fraction of an ounce, gram, or ml. is: " Photography isn't rocket science. Relax and enjoy the process".

cdholden
27-Dec-2011, 07:14
For small quantity beakers, hit up a medical/chemical supply store, or look for them among over-the-counter medication.
Some cough syrups include a 10mL plastic beaker.

If you have a Walgreen's store nearby, the pharmacy will give you small (10-30ml) measuring cups for giving children medicine at no charge. All you have to do is ask for it.

jp
27-Dec-2011, 08:30
If you have a Walgreen's store nearby, the pharmacy will give you small (10-30ml) measuring cups for giving children medicine at no charge. All you have to do is ask for it.

I've gotten little measuring cups like this from [day,ny]quil or store brand variants of it.

I have plastic pipettes I bought a bag of 100 on Ebay for 1-3ml. Good for photoflo and alt process chemicals mixing and dispensing. They are also good for dispensing frontline on the cat (which is available in larger quantities on Ebay as long as you have a means to dispense it).

I use a [dedicated] shot glass for mixing cyanotype chemicals in for paper coating.

If consistency isn't important, lawn sales and goodwill are also a great choice along with the dollar store and walmart.

photobymike
27-Dec-2011, 10:56
Mike,

well my pyro mix is 673ml of water i bet you cannot get within 20ml of accuracy ..plus or minus 20 30 ml is not being consistent. I found that the markings on my measuring beakers are off, sometimes way off.... the only measuring device that i have that is good is a lab Pyrex graduated cylinder. and even then i am plus or minus 10ml... I develop about 20 30 sheets and 10 rolls 120 every week.... lol It really does make a difference when you are more accurate with your measurements. Consistent Precision makes for great photographs. I have 3 other photographers i develop film for. They appreciate the consistent results i deliver.

E. von Hoegh
28-Dec-2011, 08:04
I have a set of Pyrex lab graduates up to 1000ml, and a 1ml pipette for small quantities. I don't shop at WalMart , and I avoid buying Chinese goods whenever possible.

brian mcweeney
28-Dec-2011, 12:06

Phew! I guess I can stop drinking all that Nyquil just for the cups... ;)