PDA

View Full Version : One Photoshop CS5, Two Computers

Frank Petronio
25-Dec-2011, 19:55
Back in the ancient pre-internet days I used to run one copy on two of my computers. Nowadays, what is the best practice for switching between a laptop and desktop when using CS5? Also for Lightroom?

Do I really have to deactivate the software every time I switch? I assume there is no way I can run Photoshop at the same time on both, like if I am scanning on one and editing on the other?

And how do you think this will be in the future, as Adobe tries to move us towards an always up-to-date, subscription pay-as-you-go model? Are we always going to have to have an internet connection to use Photoshop?

Hmm I wonder who collects more data on us, Adobe or Google or Facebook? Bastards....

Thanks

sanking
25-Dec-2011, 20:14
Do I really have to deactivate the software every time I switch? I assume there is no way I can run Photoshop at the same time on both, like if I am scanning on one and editing on the other?

Thanks

I have a standard "academic" version of CS5 Extended and can run it on two MAC computers. It is possible to buy licenses for running CS5 on more than two computers but I never checked the price.

Sandy

z_photo
25-Dec-2011, 20:48
Frank, I run CS5 on a desktop and a laptop. If you try to install on a third computer you will get a pop up message saying no can do. I learned this when replacing a laptop. I had to deactivate the old laptop CS5 before intalling on the new latop. Glad the old one still booted and ran long enough to do that

Nathan Potter
25-Dec-2011, 21:46
I'm with you Frank! Bastards! I won't say what I really think. And will never move beyond PS CS.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Richard M. Coda
25-Dec-2011, 22:23
I have Cs5.5 (and have had every version since CS)... the standard license is for one desktop and one laptop computer. Adobe does realize that people in this profession sometimes have to work remotely, or (in my case) when I try and take a vacation. You do not have to deactivate unless you want to install it on a 3rd computer, or if you replace a computer. I do not know about LR as I don't use it.

Kirk Gittings
25-Dec-2011, 22:37
Richard, but they have to be both PC or Mac right?

Frank Petronio
25-Dec-2011, 23:18
But can you run both computers with Photoshop running at the same time or not?

It would be nice to set one up for scanning, the other for retouching sometimes.

Jim collum
25-Dec-2011, 23:22
But can you run both computers with Photoshop running at the same time or not?

It would be nice to set one up for scanning, the other for retouching sometimes.

License can be activated on two computers, and both can be running at the same time. You can move it to another computer if you deactivate on one of your two first.

both computers must be the same type.. PC or Mac. the licenses will not transfer from mac to pc (or vice versa) without going thru adobe (which entails sending them a form saying you've removed the original license on all pc's or macs.. before they will send you a new license to run on the other architecture.

summary.. 2 pc's or 2 mac's at same time... but you can't mix

Frank Petronio
25-Dec-2011, 23:46
Thanks!

darr
26-Dec-2011, 06:34
Lightroom (LR) will run on two computers regardless if both are PC or Mac. I run LR on my PC workstation and my Mac Pro laptop under the same license. They may allow for this because of LR's tethered shooting capabilities.

Frank Petronio
26-Dec-2011, 08:08
OK last hurdle. Do both computers need to be registered to the same person? Or can one go on a family member's, like a spouse?

Reason I ask is not so they can scam a copy because they won't know how to use it anyway, but if I wanted to have it on my wife's laptop and my desktop then I would have yet another reason not to be compelled to bring my laptop on a trip.

Richard M. Coda
26-Dec-2011, 08:14
Richard, but they have to be both PC or Mac right?

Yes.

sanking
26-Dec-2011, 08:29
OK last hurdle. Do both computers need to be registered to the same person? Or can one go on a family member's, like a spouse?

Computer registration is not an issue so far as I understand. I often deactivate CS5 on one of my computers to run it on another MAC registered to my wife. I do this for example when we travel and prefer to take her Macbook Air instead of one of my heavier MacBook Pro. The process of activation/deactivation is pretty much instantaneous so you can have CS5 installed on four or five computers and switch between the ones on which it is activated.

Sandy

Frank Petronio
26-Dec-2011, 08:46
Thanks!

Preston
26-Dec-2011, 09:29
Frank,

I found the EULA for PhotoShop at the Adobe site. While perusing the legal mumbo-jumbo, I found this...

"2.5 Portable or Home Computer Use. Subject to the important restrictions set forth in Section 2.6, the
primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed under Section 2.2 (“Primary User”) may
install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a
Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home Computer is not
used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer."

The restrictions mentioned in Section 2.6 deal with volume licenses.

Here's the link to the full PDF file: http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/gen_wwcombined_20091001_1604.pdf

--P

Greg Miller
26-Dec-2011, 12:58
Frank,

I found the EULA for PhotoShop at the Adobe site. While perusing the legal mumbo-jumbo, I found this...

"2.5 Portable or Home Computer Use. Subject to the important restrictions set forth in Section 2.6, the
primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed under Section 2.2 (“Primary User”) may
install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a
Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home Computer is not
used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer."

The restrictions mentioned in Section 2.6 deal with volume licenses.

Here's the link to the full PDF file: http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/gen_wwcombined_20091001_1604.pdf

--P

This is the policy, but it is not enforced. You can technically run Photoshop on 2 computers simultaneously> And they do not check to see who each computer is registered to (the activation actually occurs prior to registration).

Jim Andrada
26-Dec-2011, 13:01
I think you could run one copy on a Windows PC and one on a Mac under VM Fusion (which I use) or Bootcamp. Of course you'd need an extra copy of Windows for this to work. I don't run Photoshop this way but I do run other programs in a similar fashion - including Sony Vegas for video editing which doesn't have a Mac version.

Re using both at the same time I think the real intent is to not have two people using one copy simultaneously. I don't think there's anything that would prevent the two copies from running at the same time. OR - run an older version on one machine.

Allen in Montreal
26-Dec-2011, 14:13
Frank, I run CS5 on a desktop and a laptop. If you try to install on a third computer you will get a pop up message saying no can do. I learned this when replacing a laptop. I had to deactivate the old laptop CS5 before intalling on the new latop. Glad the old one still booted and ran long enough to do that

Yup.
The allow 2 machines.
Intent is one desktop one laptop.

Photo Mechanic does also.

neil poulsen
26-Dec-2011, 14:28
. . . Are we always going to have to have an internet connection to use Photoshop?

Is it necessary to have an internet connection now to us PS, or just to install it? :confused:

Allen in Montreal
27-Dec-2011, 11:50
Neil,

Just for the install.

I have PS on a scanning station that does not have an internet connection at all, pain in the ass to jump through the hoops for the install.

false_Aesthetic
27-Dec-2011, 14:57
Ive successfully installed Ps on 3 machines by calling adobe up and simply telling them my laptop died and I cant get the deactivation code. They provided me with whatever I needed after explaining that I was a grad student. This was qfor cs3 though. Might not work for CS5. I have yet to try since my job now requires me to be ethical.

Ed Kelsey
27-Dec-2011, 16:15
To disable Photoshop or any other Adobe program from "phoning home" install Little Snitch then block all Adobe URLs. I think if you have a new Mac and set it up by transferring from your other machine it will install PS on the new one without a hitch. Did for me anyway.