PDA

View Full Version : I received an advance copy of my book!

Richard Wasserman
23-Dec-2011, 12:16
Midstream: The Chicago River, 1999-2010

It is published by Columbia College Chicago Press and distributed by the University of Chicago Press.

ISBN 978-1-937567002-2

I'm number 1,138,338 on Amazon! I hope soon to be 1,138,337.....

The bulk of the books are currently on a boat from Singapore, and should be in the warehouse in a couple weeks or so.

Darin Boville
23-Dec-2011, 12:48
Now it must be 1,138,336--I just ordered a copy.

Congrats!

--Darin

Frank Petronio
23-Dec-2011, 13:24
Congrats Richard!

Is Amazon the best way to purchase it or is there a better way that puts more money into your or the publisher's pocket? Bezos has enough ;-p

John Brady
23-Dec-2011, 13:32
How did you manage to make the tall buildings look so straight? Just kidding, congratulations on the new book!

www.timeandlight.com

Richard M. Coda
23-Dec-2011, 14:22
Congratulations! Looks like a great book (previewed it on your website).

Would you mind telling us about your experience with publishing overseas?

brian mcweeney
23-Dec-2011, 14:22
Very very nice Richard. Congratulations.

Noah A
23-Dec-2011, 15:12
Congratulations, it looks amazing. Hopefully I'll get back to Chicago sometime soon so you can sign my copy!

Richard Wasserman
24-Dec-2011, 08:13
Congrats Richard!

Is Amazon the best way to purchase it or is there a better way that puts more money into your or the publisher's pocket? Bezos has enough ;-p

Frank, this is a good question, I sent my publisher an email asking her. I'll be seeing her at a party on Monday, so will have an answer no later than that.

Richard Wasserman
24-Dec-2011, 08:27
Congratulations! Looks like a great book (previewed it on your website).

Would you mind telling us about your experience with publishing overseas?

The publisher is in Chicago which made it very easy for me as I live in the area, and was able to attend meetings often and with little prior notice. I had input into the design and layout of the book, although most of the credit must go to the designer not me. Only the printing was done in Singapore. They sent proofs to us to evaluate and correct and we went through a few iterations of these before giving them the go-ahead. I wanted to be on press when the book was run, but it was way too expensive to have happen—I think I'll try harder next time. The printer did a good job, but there are, of course, a few things I would have liked to have changed. I've never understood why, but others consider me a bit of a perfectionist.... All in all it has been a very interesting and thrilling experience for me. I've met a slew of interesting people, learned more than imagined I would about my work, doors are opening to exhibit, and I HAVE A BOOK!

Alan Gales
24-Dec-2011, 12:40
Congratulations Richard! It looks like a fantastic book!

GabrielSeri
24-Dec-2011, 13:18
Congratulations Richard! I enjoyed your article in View Camera magazine a few months ago. I think I will order this book for my birthday in March. Cheers!

Sanjay Sen
24-Dec-2011, 14:50
Congratulations, Richard! Looks like a great book, and it is on my list. I will wait for you to let us know if there is another purchase option, rather than Amazon.com, which will put more money into your pocket.

Ari
24-Dec-2011, 19:11
Bravo, Richard!
It's a great accomplishment.

David Karp
24-Dec-2011, 22:56
Many congratulations!

Duane Polcou
26-Dec-2011, 02:10
Congratulations to you!

Richard Wasserman
26-Dec-2011, 19:47
I first want to thank everyone for all the nice things they have said, and a double thank you to all who have purchased books!

I spoke to my publisher today about the best place to buy copies, and she said that it makes no difference monetarily to either me, or Columbia College Chicago Press where it is purchased. Any pricing agreement is between the distributor and the retailer, and the discount comes from the distributor not us. My royalty is the same no matter who sells the book.

Midstream is currently listed by both Barnes and Noble, and Amazon.

Kirk Gittings
26-Dec-2011, 23:07
Good for you! I will pick one up this summer and have you sign it.

John Flavell
26-Dec-2011, 23:59
Congratulations on the book. I read the essay and it really put the whole thing in perspective for me. I look forward to contributing to your bank account.

pound
27-Dec-2011, 01:46
congrats! how do i get one from the boat since i am in Singapore :) :P

johnmsanderson
27-Dec-2011, 16:59
Congratulations, looks great.

Shawn Dougherty
27-Dec-2011, 19:58
Awesome news! Will see if I can scrape the cash together for this. Congratulations!

Merg Ross
27-Dec-2011, 22:45
Congratulations, Richard! Well done, and hats off to your dedication in seeing the project through to completion.

Richard Wasserman
28-Dec-2011, 08:16
Congratulations, Richard! Well done, and hats off to your dedication in seeing the project through to completion.

Thank you Merg, and everyone else who has commented. Your kind words and support mean a lot to me.

You can't imagine what perseverance it took. The publisher went through extreme and traumatic changes when my project was about 1/2 way through and took about 2 times longer than planned. I won't go into detail here, I think it's one better done face to face, over a beer or 2. Needless to say I am thrilled with the outcome.