PDA

View Full Version : Selectol Soft (equiv) and LPD Two Bath Development vs Selectol Soft and Dektol

Fragomeni
20-Dec-2011, 21:56
Hi all,

I'm posting this here and over at APUG.

The tried and tested two bath development procedure of developing in Selectol Soft (or equivalent replacement) followed by Dektol to finish the blacks is an established and effective procedure for gaining control of graded paper contrast. Many still use this even with VC papers with split grade printing to gain extreme levels of contrast control. My understanding is that Selectol Soft is a Metol developer which develops the paper slowly compared to hydroquinone developers like Dektol. Development in Selectol Soft develops the higher print values first and then completion of development in a bath of Dektol (metol/hydroquinone) strengthens the mids and dark tones. My question is in regard to using LPD in this way rather then Dektol. For those of you with experience with this, can you talk about how well it works if it works in a similar way. I know that LPD contains hydroquinone but I've been unable to compare it's hydroquinone content with the hydroquinone content of Dektol. Does anyone have an idea of how the compare in this regard (quantities of hydroquinone)? I've used LPD for a long time and it is by far my preferred developer. LPD does not contain metol, instead it uses Phenidone. I am unsure of how Phenidone works and I wonder if it would effect the efficiency of using LPD with Selectol Soft in the same way Selectol Soft and Dektol have historically been used.

For the photographic chemists, my questions are:

1. Does anyone know how LPD compares to Dektol as far as how much hydroquinone they contain?

2. Does anyone know how Phenidone compares to metol as a developer? Is Phenidone a slow working "surface" developer like metol?

3. If Phenidone is similar in function to metol, will the Phenidone content of LPD reduce the effectiveness of LPD as a replacement for Dektol for this purpose? (I assume no since Dektol contains both metol and hydroquinone.)

Thanks to anyone who can offer insight into this! Just to clarify, this question is specific to using the combination as a 2 back development procedure, not mixing the two in one tray as is sometimes done. Finally, yes of course I'm going to try it for myself. I'm just hoping to get some insight while I'm waiting on some stuff to arrive in the mail. Thanks!

Mark Sampson
21-Dec-2011, 08:33
As the late Fred Picker used to say; TRY IT. The principle is simple; 1 minute in a low-contrast developer followed by 1 minute in a normal-contrast developer. Let's assume that Dektol 1:2 and LPD give similar results as 'normal' developers. Mix up three trays of developer and run the test, you'll have your answer in an hour, along with at least one good print to keep. Any variation in function between Dektol and LPD should be small and quickly adjusted for.
For the record, I've used the two-bath developer setup with at least five developers; Ansco 120, S-S, Dektol, Zone VI, and Selectol, all the combinations I used worked well. From that experience I'll say use gloves and take care; the low contrast developers triggered a metol allergy, and contact dermatitis is no fun.

Gem Singer
21-Dec-2011, 08:41
I don't know if it is available in your part of the world, but obtain a copy of "The Film Developing Cookbook", by S.Anchell and B. Troop.

That book contains the answers to your questions and will help to clarify the procedure.

Fragomeni
21-Dec-2011, 08:55
As the late Fred Picker used to say; TRY IT. The principle is simple; 1 minute in a low-contrast developer followed by 1 minute in a normal-contrast developer. Let's assume that Dektol 1:2 and LPD give similar results as 'normal' developers. Mix up three trays of developer and run the test, you'll have your answer in an hour, along with at least one good print to keep. Any variation in function between Dektol and LPD should be small and quickly adjusted for.

Well like I said in my original post, of course i plan on trying this myself and am waiting for some of my supplies to arrive in the mail. Trying it still doesn't explicitly answer the more chemically oriented questions I have about the various compounds involved.

From that experience I'll say use gloves and take care; the low contrast developers triggered a metol allergy, and contact dermatitis is no fun.

Thanks for the heads up, I definitely will. I'm not interested in any allergic reactions.

I don't know if it is available in your part of the world, but obtain a copy of "The Film Developing Cookbook", by S.Anchell and B. Troop.

That book contains the answers to your questions and will help to clarify the procedure.

Thanks Gem, I think I have Anchell's book in a box or on a shelf somewhere. I'll dig it out as hopefully it'll offer some insight into the chem questions. Thanks!