PDA

View Full Version : Schneider enlarging lens

J.L. Kennedy
22-May-1999, 18:19
Does anyone know anything about the Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar f4.5 150mm enlargi ng lens. Aperature goes to f32. S/N is 8850971. It appears to be uncoated but I'm not sure. There are two odd things about it. First, although it is for a 39mm lensboard opening, the threads appear to be different than standard because it won't thread more than about 1/2 turn into my new Saunders enlarger 39mm len sboard. Second, it has an outside knurled ring for changing aperature separated with about an 1/8th inch gap from the inside threaded ring for filters. By the way, it is completely metal and rather heavy for its size. Doesn't appear to h ave any plastic parts.

I am thinking of buying an El-Nikkor but would hate to do so and then find out t he the Scheider was an absolutely wonderful piece of glass!

Joel Edmondson
11-Jun-1999, 20:38
If I recall correctly, the Xenar is a four-element lens which was designed as a "taking" rather than enlarging lens. Also, some of the older lenses were equipped with a different ratio thread for proprietary camera applications so, even though the diameter is 39mm, the number of threads-per-inch are not the same. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. JE