PDA

View Full Version : Hello from new member

VinR
17-Dec-2011, 15:40
Recently purchased a lovely old 5x4 Crown Graphic with 135mm Optar lens plus a 6x9rollfilm back and a 6 shot Grafmatic back. This is my first introduction to LF photography having covered all the other formats over the years doing my own B&W processing. Amazed at the depth of field that can be achieved even at table top close-ups using the dropped bed and tilt feature, incredible. Presently testing for best aperture for landscapes with the 6x9 back and favourite looking like f16 but won't know for definite until I feel confident enough to load both the Grafmatic back and the Yankee development tank with 5x4 film! I'm training with cut card at the moment but the Yankee film holder is a real pain especially as there no guide came with the tank. This tank is also very greedy requiring 55oz(1570ml) of solution whereas a Paterson tank would possibly only require around 14oz(400ml)with rotary processing. I really can't complain as the guy I purchased the camera
from sent the tank to me free of charge - very nice man indeed:)

Robert Ley
18-Dec-2011, 08:35
Welcome to the forum! I think that you will find us a good source of information. Use the search function and the LF home page is a good source of information.

As for the Yankee film developing tank, many have converted them into very nice planters.

I think that you can pick up a reel that will allow you to use a Paterson tank and many members use a Jobo 2500 series tank, Jobo 2509N reels and a Unicolor Uniroller for their 4x5 film. Hand processing in trays is always an option for the darkroom-ed photographer.

We have many very knowledgeable UK members and I'm sure that they will chime in.

Most important thing is to have fun!

So get out there and shoot.

VinR
19-Dec-2011, 10:49
Thanks for the welcome Robert. Unfortunately the jobo tank and reel are like gold dust over here but there is an inventor here who has brought out a 5x4 type loader that will fit into a Paterson no.3 tank so I am looking in that direction. Seems there are plenty of 5x4 jobo tanks and reels in the US but asking price is very expensive plus the shipping and UK customs charge on top.

Best regards
Vin

Brian C. Miller
19-Dec-2011, 11:08
Welcome, Vin! The Yankee tank is OK for starting out, but I have never been able to get even development with it. There is the HP CombiPlan tank, which has the slots oriented correctly. People have had success with the Paterson tank insert, but the outer slots have sometimes let the film slip out.

The septums in the Grafmatic back can get bent very easily, so you have to be quite careful with them. Also, wax the sliding parts. I've used car wax, and it's a great help. Any wax that you can wipe off dry will be fine, it just needs a tiny bit of lubrication.

The 135mm Optar is a fine lens, just not a lot of movements with it. I bought an old ex-Navy Super Graphic, and after I replaced and shimmed the ground glass, I can get bicycle spokes at two blocks. The image has to be enlarged to 16x20 before you can see them on a print using a strong magnifying glass.

Welcome, and have fun!