PDA

View Full Version : Purple line through my scanned negative

beichh4046
9-Dec-2011, 11:24
I'm using a Microtek i900 to scan black and white negatives. I just noticed a purple line going through the entire scan.

When I first started researching the problem I was thinking it was a calibration issue but after further reading that may not be the case since I'm scanning black and white.

Has anyone had this issue with this scanner? If so, was there a remedy?

Joanna Carter
9-Dec-2011, 11:37
If it were an Epson scanner, I would immediately say, "check the prescan calibration area of the glass for dirt". Does the Microtek have anything similar?

Fourtoes
9-Dec-2011, 12:02
I get it with my Canon 9950f, I cailbrate before each scan.

beichh4046
9-Dec-2011, 12:35
There is no glass on the Microtek.

PhotoToyo
9-Dec-2011, 14:12
On my M1, I was getting the same magenta (or sometimes purple) stripes that would go the length of the scans. I contacted Microtek and they said my scanner was "defective" and replaced it under warranty.

My scanner has again started showing these magenta/purple lines and I don't know if I want to pay to have it "fixed" (since it's out of warranty). Seems to be a recurring issue with some of their scanners. Or at least my scanners.

It has something to do with dust for sure but no matter what I try to clean, nothing seems to help. Dust on the sensor or something. Wish I had a trick to share but I'm afraid I don't!

Ken Lee
9-Dec-2011, 14:17
I started getting lines whenever I would make 16-bit scans on my Microtek 2500f.

I got an Epson.

jcoldslabs
9-Dec-2011, 14:41
I have this issue with my i900 all the time, unfortunately. Since the calibration area for the glassless holders has nothing to hold dirt or dust that can affect calibration, I took the top plate off the scanner and noticed a good amount of "debris" accumulating in the little reflecting tray beneath the light source transport. A good upside-down shake and some canned air solved the problem. I can only assume that dust and particulate that accumulates inside this little white, curved tray does affect calibration.

One time I had the most horrendous striping in my scans--a 1/2 inch band across the whole image. When I dug around inside I saw that a large moth had died in that little tray under the light source. Once I cleaned it out the scanner was fine.

All in all I like the Microtek, but it requires internal cleaning more than I would have thought.

beichh4046
10-Dec-2011, 07:28
I opened the top and sprayed some air. Knock on wood, that seems to be doing the trick. I appreciate the input.

Gene McCluney
11-Dec-2011, 15:17
There are several mirrors in a Microtek scanner between the lens (or lenses) and the scanned material, a fleck of dirt on one of these can cause this, as well as a piece of dirt on one of the long thin flourescent tubes that provides the light for the scan. On a Microtek the glassless neg. carriers have a glassless calibration window, the glass carrier has a glass calibration window.

beichh4046
11-Dec-2011, 19:18
I received the following from Microtek today which backs up what has been said previously. Their English is a little rough but at least they got back to me.

My name is David Lee, the technical support of Microtek in Taiwan.
If this pink streaking lines is specific happened on scanned image from Positive / Negative scan, it means there is dirty particles leave on mirror or Reflective Film in Bottom Lamp Assembly as the picture

Matus Kalisky
14-Dec-2011, 06:20
I can only add that I had this very problem with my Microtek F1 which was repaired under warranty. I was in contact with Microtek guys in Germany and was also told that this is basically a dust particle. I did try to put the scanner apart a bit and use canned air to dust all possible places, but did not manage to resolve the problem (so the scanner was sent to Microtek).

Something tells me that I got the wrong brand of scanner :cool: