PDA

View Full Version : Technikardan vs Technikardan-S

Hans Berkhout
18-Oct-2003, 19:27
I can't find documentation re: difference (if any) between the TK and TKs. I'd appreciate input from anyone in the know, thanks.

Michael S. Briggs
18-Oct-2003, 20:44
TK45S v. TK45 at http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/thread.php?topic=174775

Which TK 45? at http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/thread.php?topic=189053

Frank Petronio
18-Oct-2003, 22:23
Original TK has one piece "L" shaped standards and no detents. Newer (early 1990s) TKs has three piece "L" shaped standards and detents for zero/neutral position (these can be removed if you don't like detents.) Either model will be one of the nicest cameras you'll ever own and I miss mine. If buying used be wary of the bellows from ham-handed users folding it incorrectly.

See pix of TKs from Linhof website and look at the corner of the "L" standard. The original model has a smooth radius at the corner, no joint.

Where's Bob S.? Did rude people scare him away for good? That's a shame.

Bob Salomon
19-Oct-2003, 03:10
Original TK has smaller from L. Latre one has front and rear L the same size. Originsl L made from one piece of metal with 2 90°. Later one has 3 straight pieces with a joiner block. Original L has no front or rear detents. Later version has fron and rear detents. Older versision had different stsndards frony=t and rear on the 45 and 23 versions. Now both models use same design standard.

Frank Petronio
19-Oct-2003, 08:12
welcome back Bob!

Jon_2416
19-Oct-2003, 11:25
>Where's Bob S.? Did rude people scare him away for good? That's a shame.

->-Frank, 2003-10-18 21:23:36

Not rude people, but people that dislike unethical behavior--now that IS shameful. I wonder if he has harassed any legal eBayers lately.

Hans: some people don't like the TK45s because they have a hard time doing small movements without engaging the detents. The last 45s I saw on eBay had them removed just for this reason. I have the TK45--it is a truly amazing piece of engineering. You can't go wrong with either model.

Michael S. Briggs
19-Oct-2003, 19:16
I use a TK45S and the detents do NOT interfere with making small movements. Each detent has a small lever that disengages it. While it takes two hands, it is easy to disengage the detent, make a small swing or tilt, then lock the movement. At this point the disengagement lever can be released. So the TK45S provides the advantages of detents without the disadvantage of making small offsets from neutral difficult.

All of this was already discussed on one of the old threads that I provided a link to.

Jon_2416
19-Oct-2003, 22:47
>I use a TK45S and the detents do NOT interfere with making small movements. Each >detent has a small lever that disengages it. While it takes two hands

>--Michael S. Briggs

Hmmm, I wasn't aware that you were the spokesperson for EVERY TK45s owner. As I mentioned, some people dislike it just for that reason. Also, you have to use two hands?? Bummer.

Frank Filippone
19-Oct-2003, 22:57
I tried both cameras. I did not like the detents ( I thought I would like them). In practice, the detents did bother me. And since this is a hobby for relaxation, why should I tolerate something that I find a nuisance? So I own the TK45. This is one of those areas that is personal preference. Some will like the detents, some will not.

My advice is to try both and decide for yourself.