PDA

View Full Version : How "pro" photographers spend their time....

Kirk Gittings
7-Dec-2011, 12:54
THIS IS FOR WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHERS BUT IT FAIRLY WELL DESCRIBES THE WHOLE BUSINESS.http://www.petapixel.com/2011/11/04/theory-vs-reality-how-photographers-actually-spend-their-time/
http://img13.mediafire.com/c3c11b2f776a29ee11daf49d85a29a5773ea72662937166d1799f25c09868f4e6g.jpg

Mark Stahlke
7-Dec-2011, 13:07
I'm glad I'm not a pro. I wouldn't want to miss out on that whole "partying like a rock star" part. :D

Jay DeFehr
7-Dec-2011, 13:10
People think wedding photog's travel to exotic locations and party like rock stars? I've never heard that opinion expressed. Fashion/swimsuit/lingerie, sure, even war photog's/ photojournalists, maybe, but wedding photog's? That was never my impression.

Greg Blank
7-Dec-2011, 13:20
Interesting, the two smaller wedges on the left are about half the size of the two on the right of the same green and blue color and my perception is that accounting takes a lot more of my time than the right side.

Kirk Gittings
7-Dec-2011, 13:20
Its the romantic mystique vs. the reality that is important here more than the details.......and it is in general terms very very true.

jnantz
7-Dec-2011, 13:46
i don't know about all that stuff in pie chart #2
that' s what the army of assistants is supposed to do !

Heroique
7-Dec-2011, 14:31
That second chart adds up to exactly 99.8%.

I want to know what the missing .2% is about.

Probably something fun but illegal.

cyrus
7-Dec-2011, 14:42
I thought partying like rockstars would be about 80% and photography about 20%

E. von Hoegh
7-Dec-2011, 14:51
I thought partying like rockstars would be about 80% and photography about 20%

It's well known that all photographers are drunken perverts - this takes time. And effort.

arca andy
7-Dec-2011, 16:55
Neither chart has travel, I seem to spend a lot of my time sitting in my car!

Vaughn
7-Dec-2011, 17:08
Neither chart has travel, I seem to spend a lot of my time sitting in my car!

Nor taking care of one's family...

Tom J McDonald
7-Dec-2011, 17:39
Where do they find time to develop film and print in the darkroom?

John NYC
7-Dec-2011, 18:19
Been there done that... but with writing music commercially, not photography. Now I do something else.

Of the time that I DO have to spend on photography as a non-commercial photographer, I spend it ALL exactly the way I want to. It's nice to have one thing in your life like that.

Letoco
8-Dec-2011, 02:30
THIS IS FOR WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHERS BUT IT FAIRLY WELL DESCRIBES THE WHOLE BUSINESS.

Really? I think that whatever your job is, trying to describe it down to tenths of a percent is a foolish endeavour. I had days of straight shooting followed by days of editing - which of them was more typical ? The average of them is not typical of any of them. That people have different ideas about jobs they don’t have - what’s so strange about it? Isn't it normal?

Frank Petronio
8-Dec-2011, 07:30
I know there is a certain class of fashion photographers who do indeed budget time for partying like rockstars and servicing their clients sexually but they might as well call it strategic marketing.

Kirk Gittings
8-Dec-2011, 09:11
Really? I think that whatever your job is, trying to describe it down to tenths of a percent is a foolish endeavour. I had days of straight shooting followed by days of editing - which of them was more typical ? The average of them is not typical of any of them. That people have different ideas about jobs they don’t have - what’s so strange about it? Isn't it normal?

Lighten up. It isn't strange-its real and humorous. And totally typical of the myths vs. realities I have encountered with the public and students for the last 34 years in the business.

Letoco
8-Dec-2011, 09:34
Now I see, yeah, and it makes my mouth laughing as much as yours is on your picture. Today’s myth about photographers is completely different than just 10 years ago. For the good or for the bad the digital has changed it all.

Robert Hughes
8-Dec-2011, 13:17
Reminds me of going shopping the other day with my guitar playing teenaged stepson. He has visions of screamo metal stardom, with endless fame, fortune and beaucoup hawt tail awaiting him as soon as he's outta high school.

The other day we were in some art center in Madison Wisconsin, and there was a group of performers, dressed like clowns, playing silly songs for pre school kids. "Take a good look, buddy - that's what professional musicians do! That's your future!" His look was priceless :eek: shock and awe... Don't think it was quite shocking enough to get him to do his homework, though. :D

jayabbas
8-Dec-2011, 13:39
That graph left out weight lifting and furniture moving -- both skills seemingly done over and over in our chosen field !