PDA

View Full Version : Continuous Ink System: Opinions?

Ari
3-Dec-2011, 12:29
Hi,
I'm considering buying my first digital printer, an Epson 2400, and I'm looking into continuous ink systems.
I found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250407322243?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1142wt_1066

Are these viable systems? What should I be aware of when considering/buying something like this? Are the inks of good quality?

Any help is appreciated, I'm very new to digital printing.

Thanks in advance

Mark Sawyer
3-Dec-2011, 12:46
We tried a similar system, a "Niagra IV" with an Epson printer at my high school a few years ago. I couldn't get it to work, two computer technology teachers couldn't get it to work, the district's Technology Department couldn't get it to work, volunteers from a local digital photo club couldn't get it to work, and several technology savvy parents couldn't get it to work. We never got a satisfactory print from it, and finally threw the whole thing out.

It did, however, successfully void the warranty on the Epson printer.

Ari
3-Dec-2011, 12:52
Yes, but Mark, did you ask the janitor to see if he could make it work?

You probably should have asked a nine-year-old.

:)

Corran
3-Dec-2011, 13:17
I used a continuous ink system for a few years with an Epson printer for doing direct-on-CD printing in my recording business. It was a great system and extremely economical. I only moved on when I bought a printer that could print 100 CD's at a time.

I highly recommend it, but admittedly I never did any printing of really high-detail things, mostly just text and some basic photos, but I was always very pleased and surprised with the detail and sharpness of the printer/ink.

Personally when you run out I would suggest buying a whole new system rather than the "refills" for the ink bottles. They aren't that much cheaper and the ink is very hard to get in the bottles without a massive mess. Also if you move the printer be extra careful for the ink vials (I speak from unfortunate experience...).

darr
3-Dec-2011, 14:41
The Epson R2400 is an older printer, you should look into the newer Epson R3000 that has an upgraded ink system (K3 + Vivid Magenta).

Ari
3-Dec-2011, 15:03
The Epson R2400 is an older printer, you should look into the newer Epson R3000 that has an upgraded ink system (K3 + Vivid Magenta).

Hell, I'd love a 3880, but my budget is already tight.
People with more experience have told me to jump into digital printing gently, spending as little money as is warranted for quality gear.

IanG
3-Dec-2011, 15:48
Having bought an R2400 recently I have to say with no regrets, great printer superb results.

I may well buy a similar Continuous Ink system but from a UK supplier, but around the same price, there are others identical at 3 or 4 times the price too !!!

I'd say to darr my Epson Photo stylus EX thrown out by a friend for banding only gave up the ghost because I left it unused too long - while abroad in Turkey. It's swings and roundabouts now with excellewnt printers all highly capable but with diferent issues with inks/running costs.

Ian

Helen Bach
3-Dec-2011, 15:54
I used three types of CIS with 2200s and one with a 2400. The two most successful and easiest to use were the i-Ink ones from Ink Republic. The bottles are easy to fill, and the whole system was problem-free. The worst was the Niagara IV - it leaked and it suffered from frequent air locks. The other system was an early Flux. Apart from the Septone, Cone and self-mixed B&W inks, I used ink from the larger Epson printers - the large cartridges are very easy to open and drain.

Good luck,
Helen

Ari
3-Dec-2011, 16:13
Thank you, Ian and Helen, for your input.

Adamphotoman
4-Dec-2011, 07:38
"It did, however, successfully void the warranty on the Epson printer."Quoted from Mark Sawyer

Epson would have you believe that using 3rd party inks will void your warranty, but in
my experience that is not legal. At least in Canada. Heads are a lot more robust than the techs would have you believe. When I moved from the prairies to the the Island four years ago my printers had to be left in storage for a while. Two of them were totally clogged. Bringing back the heads was not that difficult. A little Isopropyl alcohol dissolved the clogs. I cleaned the rubber squeegee and flooded the sponge where the head parks. Then forced a high pressure cleaning cycle.

The most important thing is to make sure that the CIS carts are properly primed and that means no air in the system.

darr
4-Dec-2011, 07:51
People with more experience have told me to jump into digital printing gently, spending as little money as is warranted for quality gear.

Ari,

I own an R2400 and bought it when they were the latest 13" available from Epson. I just suggested this because I would not purchase an R2400 used unless you can return it. If you do some searching on the R2400, you will see that they do have a life-span (Donald Miller had 2) and unless it was properly cared for, I would not buy used.

Others of course will have different opinions. :)

Ari
4-Dec-2011, 08:12
Thanks, Darr; good advice, and good to know.
I'd love to find a decent printer in my area, but there are none for sale presently.
It would at least give me the chance to see and try before I buy.

Ari
4-Dec-2011, 13:41
Just to wrap up, I found an Epson 2880 locally, and it comes with the Ink Republic CIS.
Paid $450 and I'm picking it up tomorrow.

Thanks everyone, for the help, suggestions and insights.

cps
5-Dec-2011, 19:25
One other word of advice now that you have a CIS is to make sure you do your set up and maintenance operations with the ink system where a little spillage won't be disastrous. It is amazing how far a little piece of rubber tubing can fling ink droplets - and how hard it can be to explain the resulting permanent spots on the carpet and walls to the significant other.

Don't ask how I know this, just take my word for it.

Chris

Brent Long
5-Dec-2011, 20:16
and how hard it can be to explain the resulting permanent spots on the carpet and walls to the significant other.

Chris

So, archival inks aren't always the best??? I'm confused. :p

cps
6-Dec-2011, 11:10
Yes, well it turns out that my wall paint tended to come off more easily than magenta ink. I don't know if the Wilhelm Institute uses Scotch Brite pads in their testing, but it might be informative for some if they did...

:^)

Chris

Ari
6-Dec-2011, 12:49
One other word of advice now that you have a CIS is to make sure you do your set up and maintenance operations with the ink system where a little spillage won't be disastrous. It is amazing how far a little piece of rubber tubing can fling ink droplets - and how hard it can be to explain the resulting permanent spots on the carpet and walls to the significant other.

Chris

I was warned about that by the seller, but thanks, Chris.

On another note: holy moley, this thing is big!

photobymike
6-Dec-2011, 16:00

Ari .. Have you considered an epson 4800 or a 4880. Then buy the ink from inkjetmall.com The owner has posted on this forum and was a great help in my decision process for mono ink set. You can find used 4800 for about 400 dollars and they are really a heavy duty printer... more so than a 3800. The 4800 Epson has a vacuum suction that holds the paper for more accurate registration of printing dots, especially on the edges. Find a 4800 or 4880 they are cheap now because of the epson intro the 4900 replacement. The epson 4800 series hold 220 ml of ink so why mess with css ink.... The printer weighs about 80lbs so shipping can cost a bundle but check with some others here, i don't think there is not much negative anybody will say about 4800 or 4880 printers. Just my 2 cents....

Ari
6-Dec-2011, 16:05
Good advice, Mike, thanks; but I just bought myself a 2880 with a CIS by Ink Republic.
And although the price may be $400 in the US, most places will charge about half that to ship it to Canada.
I bought locally, the best printer I could afford.
Soon enough we'll see if this was an ill-conceived venture or not. :)

photobymike
6-Dec-2011, 16:37
An epson 2880 is a very good printer. Go to http://www.inkjetmall.com and check mr Cone's ink for the epson. Mr. Cone has a good reputation here in the LFF... He has a lot of good information that i am sure would be helpful. I have a Epson 4800 prepped for Carbon ink set. Saving my shekels now for the ink set.

Ari
6-Dec-2011, 16:47
Thanks for the link, Mike!