PDA

View Full Version : Mono Lk & St Parks update

Drew Wiley
2-Dec-2011, 15:39
Looks like an agreement has been reached with local committess of volunteers and/or fundraisers to keep the Mono Lk preserve open despite being buget blacklisted. An
even deeper round of Calif State park closures has been slated, but given that it will
be another six months before even the first round kicks in, there is still time to salvage many of them. I notice that nearly all our local state parks here in the Bay Area are
now slated to remain open due to similar arrangements, though China Camp over in
Marin is still in question.

Preston
2-Dec-2011, 16:19
That's really good news, Drew. There is also a local group working with the State of Confusion to operate Railtown 1897 in Jamestown. Fortunately, Columbia State Hysterical Park ;-) is not on the block. There is an active docent group and local chamber of commerce that does a host of great things for the park, and for the town.

--P

Nathan Potter
2-Dec-2011, 18:18
Yikes! Any plans to close the Bodie ghost town?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Merg Ross
2-Dec-2011, 19:34
This group, The California State Parks Foundadtion, helps out. I used to be a member, only $40 a year to join and, in return you will receive seven State Park Day-Use Pass Vouchers. Not a bad deal, considering the day fee for Point Lobos Reserve and similar places in the park system.

http://www.calparks.org/whoweare/

Drew Wiley
5-Dec-2011, 09:38
I'd imagine that Bodie is one of those places that generates a positive profit from
visitor fees. What's more of concern are those out-of-the-way places which don't
get a lot of public attention, are nice to visit for that very reason, but are at risk from
vandalism or pollution if unattended. Things like state museums can simply be temporarily mothballed and locked up. Fortunately, there are a number of folks in Calif
willing to chip in to help our various park systems. Around here we also have a siginificant system of not only State and Natl parks, but sizeable connected regional
parks which have good public support and are even expanding. The only problem is that
people are in the "know", very friendly, and I spent about half my time on the trail
this weekend answering view camera questions for a fellow who owns a big Carleton
Watkins print, then several other families who seem to understand what a view camera
is for and wanted their kids to recognize what a real film camera is. I'm happy to
oblige, but it reduces the hiking mileage on these short days.

Merg Ross
5-Dec-2011, 10:01
Yikes! Any plans to close the Bodie ghost town?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

I'd imagine that Bodie is one of those places that generates a positive profit from
visitor fees. .............. Fortunately, there are a number of folks in Calif
willing to chip in to help our various park systems.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/712/files/2011Mono%20Lake%20Tufa%20Off%20Closure%20List.pdf

Nathan Potter
5-Dec-2011, 10:35
Thanks Merg. My great praise to the Bodie Foundation for helping out with this. I was unaware of their activities.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.