PDA

View Full Version : rodenstock 300 apo ronar f9 vs Nikkor M 300 f9

Morey Kitzman
14-Oct-2003, 11:55
I know this may seem like splitting hairs, but is anyone familiar with how the Rodenstock apo-ronar 300mm f9 compares with the Nikkor m 300 f9. The lens will be used on a Linhof Tech V. Thanks.

Scott Killian
14-Oct-2003, 19:18
I have the Nikon M300. Great lens. Tack sharp, small, mounted in a Copal 1 shutter, pretty good sized image circle - doesn't get any better. If size, weight and image circle are important, then this is the lens. The other option is the Fujinon C which has a bigger image circle, otherwise similar in size and weight. If you're using a Linhof, sounds like the M300 would have plenty of coverage for 4x5.

Ernest Purdum
14-Oct-2003, 19:34
Despite the similsrity in focal length and aperture, they are quite different lenses. Both excellent, but with differing characteristics. The great strength of the Apo Ronar is its ability to provide high resolution right down to 1:1 image/subject ratio. To achieve this it is a "dialyte" design four separate elemnts. This is a narrow angle (48 degreees) design. The Nikkor is a Tessar type operating at 57 degrees. The respective circles of good coverage are 264mm and 325mm. On a Technika 4" X 5", I would expect the extra coverage of the Nikkor would be more valuable than a close-up ability which demands more extension.

CP Goerz
14-Oct-2003, 23:00
A 12" Ronar will cover 8x10 with a ton of movement so there will be more than enough circle for a 4x5. I regulary use my 10 3/4" Red Dot Artar on my 8x10 and its got way more movement available than the much vaunted 250mm F6.7 Fujinon W. The Ronar is the same design(though improved etc) as the Artar.Ahh, love that glass! ;-)

CP Goerz

Paul Butzi
15-Oct-2003, 07:58
The Apo-Ronar is optimized for 1:1 - in other words, work done where the image on the negative is about the same size as the object. I'm sure it's a great performer close to infinity as well, but I've never used one.

I own the 300mm f/9 Nikkor-M. It's a great lens. I've seen one in the pack of nearly every large format photographer I've met. I'm very pleased with mine.

Other lenses you might consider are the Schneider 305mm G-claron and especially the 300mm f/8.5 Fuji-C. I own the 450mm big brother to the Fuji, and it's a breathtakingly good lens. So good that I've considered swapping the Nikkor for the Fuji. The 600mm Fuji-C is also reportedly excellent.

Chuck_1686
15-Oct-2003, 09:00
A 12" Ronar will cover 8x10 with a ton of movement so there will be more than enough circle for a 4x5. I regulary use my 10 3/4" Red Dot Artar on my 8x10 and its got way more movement available than the much vaunted 250mm F6.7 Fujinon W. The Ronar is the same design(though improved etc) as the Artar.Ahh, love that glass! ;-)

CP Goerz

So a 10 3/4" Red Dot Artar has around 400mm and 80 degs of coverage at infinity. That seems to be contrary to what I've seen in the past for usable Artar coverage. But I guess your use proves it out.

Ted Harris
15-Oct-2003, 09:12
One more lens to throw into the stew, the 300mm Fuji A. This is a spectacular performer. With an image circle of 420mm it nearly covers 11x14 and gives you lots of movements on 8x10. This lens performs just as well as its baby brother, the much more common 240 mm A. It has the resolution and contrast that make all Fuji lenses sought after. It is a difficult lens to find as Fuji discontinued the 300 mm and 360 mm A’s around a decade ago. However, if you are searching for a lens that performs spectacularly at both macro and normal ranges, that gives you vast coverage and is compact then this lens is worth looking for. Be prepared to wait though, it took me several years to find one.