PDA

View Full Version : Goerz American Artar factory shutter question

Steve Goldstein
2-Dec-2011, 12:20
The next-to-last page of the 1951 Goerz American catalog on the cameraeccentric web site shows some of the Artars (between 9.5" and 24") as optionally available in Acme shutters, but it doesn't say anything about shutter size versus focal length. Do any of the later catalogs have this information? I haven't been able to find any later catalogs on the web, only references to them.

Chauncey Walden
2-Dec-2011, 14:16
I was just looking at the 1965 Burke and James catalog and it shows the 9 1/2, 10 3/4, and 12 inch Red-Dot Artars as being available in either Synchro-Compur or Acme M-X shutters but as you found, not what size. The 14, 16 1/2, 19 and 24 were only available in Acme M-X. The 17 3/4 shows no availability in shutter. However it also lists the dimensions for Acme shutters: #3 M-X is max iris 34mm, front and rear lens threads 44mm, thickness 26.5mm; #4 M-X is max iris 44mm, front and rear lens threads 58mm, thickness 41mm; and #4 M-X Special is max iris 44mm, front lens thread 60mm, rear lens thread 68mm, thickness 38mm. Maybe from these numbers you can figure out who gets what.

David Lindquist
2-Dec-2011, 15:29
The next-to-last page of the 1951 Goerz American catalog on the cameraeccentric web site shows some of the Artars (between 9.5" and 24") as optionally available in Acme shutters, but it doesn't say anything about shutter size versus focal length. Do any of the later catalogs have this information? I haven't been able to find any later catalogs on the web, only references to them.

My August 1970 price list shows the following:

9 1/2 and 10 3/4 inch R.D. Artars were available in No. 3 Acme, and in a No. 1 Compur, Prontor or Copal.

The 12 inch could be had in a No. 3 Acme or a No. 3 Copal.

The 14 inch came in either a No. 4 Acme or a No. 3 Copal.

The 16 1/2, 17 3/4 and 19 inch R.D. Artars are shown only available in the No. 4 Acme.

And the 24 inch came in a No. 5 Universal.

This price list also shows all these focal lengths were available in both electronic Acmes and electronic Compurs. I suspect these would be rare finds. Anyone ever see anywhere a No. 5 Compur electronic shutter?

Incidentally this price list also shows the 4, 6 and 8 1/4 inch RDA's were available in shutters. I can give these sizes if wanted.

David