PDA

View Full Version : sticky plastic sheets for home made grids

Darin Cozine
14-Oct-2003, 02:43
Where can I get plastic sheets with an adhesive backing CHEAP?? I'd like to create my own archetechural grids and use them on the back of my 4x5 ground-glass. Thanks for any help. -Darin

Graeme Hird
14-Oct-2003, 03:53
Darin,

Have you considered a piece of clear sheet film? (eg unexposed but developed B&W, or fully exposed and developed tranny film) Rule some thin lines and stick it on to your camera back with removable tape.

Graeme

Tim Curry
14-Oct-2003, 06:14
You may find it easier to use a sharp pencil and just line the formats and reference lines yourself.

Darin Cozine
14-Oct-2003, 09:42
Graeme: thats just silly, did you reply at 3:00 AM?<br/>
Tim: I dont want to use pencil directly on the ground glass because of the mess it will make.<br/><br/>
I dont want to use tape because I am worried that it will leave adhesive residue on the glass. I can get screen protectors for my PDA that will stick to the glass and they dont leave any residue when removed. Thats what I'd like for my ground glass.

Bob._3483
14-Oct-2003, 09:55
Will the screen protector for your PDA not fit?

I found a film in my local artists supply shop that sticks by static action. Unfortunately for your purposes it is red (I bought it to use it on my PDA & laptop in the darkroom) but they had other colours, and may have clear versions. I've lost the packing and can't recall the name (anyway this is in the UK so it's probably called something else in your neck of the woods).

I seem to recall a product called Frisk film (sp?) that is used to mask off areas when spay painting. Has a light tacky finish - that might be another possibility.

Cheers,

Steven Buczkowski
14-Oct-2003, 10:06
Frisk film (often called frisket film and typically found with airbrush supplies at your local art supply store) will work with little residue, but only if removed relatively quickly. The adhesive does become gummy over time (several days to a week, or two).

David G. Gagnon
14-Oct-2003, 11:07
Darin,

I made some after reading an article in one of the photo mags. I used transparency sheets in an inkjet printer after "drawing" it one the computer. I think I did it in "MS Word".

As far as how to attach it, the ground glass clips are holding it in place just fine.

Just in case you respond like you did to Graeme, the current time here right now is 1:06 PM EST!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

When I get home from work, I'll try to find which magazine the article was in.

DG

Reinhold Schable
14-Oct-2003, 12:42
Run down to your auto supply store and get a small roll of black pin striping tape. It's self a adhesive vinyl material and comes in various widths, 1/32 inch wide should do it nicely.

Put the stripes on the smooth side of the glass, not the ground side. Clean the glass first if you've got finger and nose prints on it. Don't stretch the striping as you unroll it, or it could shrink off later. After you've got all the lines in place, carefully rub them down to ensure good bonding.

The lines are beautifully crisp, easy to see, durable, and unobtrusive when focusing and composing.

Reinhold

David R Munson
14-Oct-2003, 19:08
Another option would be to just get some sheet acetate, a drafting pen, and a steel rule. Cut to size, draw your grid as you please, and affix in whatever way you feel would be best. If you have a glass ground glass (ie not plastic), I see no reason to be worried much about adhsive residue, as there are plenty of things you can use to remove any residual residue that might be left behind. You could do this any number of ways, really - I see no reason to make it any more complicated than necessary, though.

Graeme Hird
14-Oct-2003, 20:09
Well, excuse me Darin - I'll remember your response when you next ask a question.

Good luck in your little search.

Graeme (Happy that I bought a camera with the grid lines already marked)

Darin Cozine
14-Oct-2003, 21:37
Sorry Graeme, i did not mean to be harsh, next time I will remember the happy face =]

Ken Schroeder
16-Oct-2003, 03:24
I use an unexposed, developed sheet of Tri X. My trimmer has a half inch grid pattern. I taped the film to the trimmer base and traced the grid pattern with a fine tip marker and a ruler, I store the grid film in a clear plastic negative storage sheet with a 4x5 piece of cardboard (which came with the film box) for a stiffener. Just hold it in place when needed. The half inch spacing seems about right to me.