PDA

View Full Version : Gene Nocon Dead at 66

Jim Noel
1-Dec-2011, 09:22
Gene Nocon, world renowned photographer, passed away as the result of a heart attack on November 20.
Gene was declared International Photographer of the Year in1980 by Ilford Photo. If not the first, he was the first to become known for his Lith Prints. From his marvelous mathematical brain evolved the Nocon Timer which has been emulated, but never surpassed.
Gene was known in the local San Diego community for his selfish presentations in his studio one Friday each month. He was known in Great Briatin as Photographer to Prince Andrew, the maker of the Prince Andrew and Fergie stamp image and a Fellow in the RPS.
He will be missed in the local and international community.
Farewell friend.

Jim Noel
1-Dec-2011, 09:24
I apologize for the typo in the heading which should read, Gene Nocon Dead at 66.

Ben Syverson
1-Dec-2011, 09:24
Sad news... Title of the thread made it sound like good news

Brian Ellis
1-Dec-2011, 13:07
Sad news... Title of the thread made it sound like good news

That's what I thought. I did wonder why a 66 year old man becoming a father was news in the LF forum but then stranger things than that have been posted here. Sorry to learn it was something entirely different.

Kevin Crisp
1-Dec-2011, 14:29
Selfless presentations?

William Whitaker
1-Dec-2011, 15:05
I'm sorry to hear this. I didn't know anything about him, but I have one of his timers. 66 seems much younger than it used to!

nwphotographer
1-Dec-2011, 23:24
I remember visiting Gene's studio on Friday's he opened for demonstrations. I was taking Mr. Noel's large format class at the time and he highly recommended learning Gene's f-stop printing technique. I will never forget his line when completing a print for us, "And Bob's your uncle!" He made it look so easy. He was a great man and will be missed.

BrianShaw
3-Dec-2011, 07:28
Very sad.