PDA

View Full Version : weather indications of a foggy morning?

stradibarrius
1-Dec-2011, 07:41
What would be some indications that the next morning will probably be foggy? I want to take some shots with fog and the morning sun.

Darin Boville
1-Dec-2011, 07:44
Well, the night before is usually foggy....

--Darin

Steve Smith
1-Dec-2011, 07:47
As the temperature of air increases, it can absorb more water. When the temperature drops to a point where there is too much water in the air, it has to give it up as mist. this is known as the dew point.

You want a fairly warm, damp day followed by a clear cold night. i.e. sucking up moisture during the day and giving it up during the night to give you a nice misty morning.

Steve.

stradibarrius
1-Dec-2011, 07:49
As the temperature of air increases, it can absorb more water. When the temperature drops to a point where there is too much water in the air, it has to give it up as mist. this is known as the dew point.

You want a fairly warm, damp day followed by a clear cold night. i.e. sucking up moisture during the day and giving it up during the night to give you a nice misty morning.

Steve.

Thanks Steve! that was what I was looking for.

E. von Hoegh
1-Dec-2011, 08:50
A warm body of water on a cool morning is a safe bet, also.

Drew Wiley
1-Dec-2011, 16:48
Ha! Just move here - you'll be able to get fog about ten months of the year! I call it
nature's softbox.

Vaughn
1-Dec-2011, 20:12
...I call it nature's softbox.

Works up here in the redwoods!

Jim Michael
1-Dec-2011, 20:20
Look for a temperature-dewpoint spread of less than 3 degrees F or so at sunrise. There are different types of fog (http://www.crh.noaa.gov/jkl/?n=fog_types) so there are other things to look for as well, but that's one I'm familiar with down here in Atlanta. Sometimes you'll have that spread and no fog at sunrise but get fog formation a bit after sunrise.

Jim Michael
4-Dec-2011, 16:00
Another consideration is altitude. If you are going into the mountains the temperature decreases at a rate of about 3 degrees F per thousand feet, so you should have cloud formation at the point where the temperature and dewpoint meet.

Steve Hamley
25-Dec-2011, 11:29
What Jim said.

Cheers, Steve