PDA

View Full Version : Possible Scam - shipping to Europe

Terry Hayden
28-Nov-2011, 14:41
Greetings all.

I was recently contacted, via email, with a ( on face value ) flattering request to purchase several prints. This individual ( from a very small European country ) wanted the prints for their library.

Price information was exchanged. The purchaser has agreed to give me a mastercard number to charge to ( prior to shipping ) and has given me their address.

When I asked about shipping, they insist that the best way is through something called Hush Delivery Service ( hushdelivery@hush.com ). Hush is one of the many anonymous email account operations out there.

I can find no information about this delivery service, nor can I find any listings or reference to this alleged library. Doing a googlemap or bing map search, the given address is apparently right next door to a national library location.

So, my question is, if they give me a valid mastercard # ( which I can run at my
office ), what is my risk?

I hate looking at this in this way - but scammers are everywhere and I'd rather not be a victim if I can help it.

Regards,
Terry
www.terryhayden.com

BarryS
28-Nov-2011, 14:53
This doesn't sound legitimate. My guess is that you'll get a stolen credit card # to charge the value of the prints and some extortionate "special delivery" charge. The money will be scammed from you via your fronted fees for the fictitious delivery service. Some time after you've paid, you'll get a charge back on the credit card fee.

Brian C. Miller
28-Nov-2011, 15:11
Terry, there's a similar scam, but the destination is Asia, like Taiwan, Hong Kong, or China. It fits the same description as you've given. I don't remember the exact "gotcha," but you'll be eating the bill for something.

If anything in a transaction looks like it might be a scam, it very probably is. When I went answering a local ad for a vehicle, the guy tried to lead me to believe that the vehicle was in England, but it would be shipped to me. Right. The vehicle in question had actually been previously sold in California, and the information was copied from an online ad.

Sevo
28-Nov-2011, 15:17
Sounds likely, yes. Scammers will hardly be after your photos, being too ignorant (up until last month they would probably have trashed a Gursky if it should have happened to trundle their way over a scam), but the "order from some overseas seller of some arbitrary product and purloin the fictitious advance shipping costs" scam is widespread.

But international telephone calls are cheaper than calls to a local mobile, and someone at the national library next door is bound to speak fluent English, so why don't you give them a call and ask about their supposed neighbour?

Terry Hayden
28-Nov-2011, 17:42
Sevo,

Yes, that occurred to me.

I got the general info email address for the National Library and sent them
a note ( even cheaper than a phone call ).

I'm pretty much set on this being a scam - but I'm still curious on the motivation.

As much as I like my work, I can't see it being the real target.

Greg Miller
28-Nov-2011, 18:04
Run and hide. For the shipping, they will ask for your credit card # (that's how they got the credit card number they will give you). So then they will have your name, credit card #, expiration date, and CVV code. With all of that, they will then start ordering all sorts of stuff on your credit card and/or sell the info on the black market.

The card they give you will be fraudulent, so the funds you collect will eventually be withdrawn from your bank account.

Just insist on shipping via USPS, FedEx or UPS (anything where you are paying a known entity) and watch them scramble.

r.e.
28-Nov-2011, 18:46
Terry, with the greatest respect to your work, why would a small library in a very
small country in Europe want to buy your prints, and then tell you that shipping should be arranged through an e-mail service?

You have this right, and Greg Miller has the reason. They want your I.D. and credit card info.

Which country?

Greg Blank
28-Nov-2011, 19:06
Like all those Russian Girl friends I thought I had, Damn Russians!

If anything in a transaction looks like it might be a scam, it very probably is.

Terry Hayden
28-Nov-2011, 19:15
Like all those Russian Girl friends I thought I had, Damn Russians!

What, you mean Svetlana and Ivana were lying to me as well???<G>.

Yes, my ego would say yes, but my common sense says no way. I may push this a bit further and see what happens when I both insist on Fed-x and seeing scans of their ID and both sides of the Mastercard.

Turns out I have a friend who's sister lives 20 minutes away from this address as well. She has volunteered to check out the location. Once I mention that she may drop by it should get a reaction.

Len Middleton
28-Nov-2011, 20:08
Turns out I have a friend who's sister lives 20 minutes away from this address as well. She has volunteered to check out the location. Once I mention that she may drop by it should get a reaction.

And you might mention that the friend's sister will drop by after she has finished her shift at the local police station...;)

Terry Hayden
30-Nov-2011, 17:44
So, now I have the final scam revealed.

After some back and forth it turns out that the real money source for these
dipsticks is in a false shipping front.

Supposedly the purchaser would only accept shipments through this phantom
shipping outfit.

They ( really same person I'm sure ) insisted that the only way to pay for shipping
was with a Western Union Moneygram.

Tah Dah! That's where the money gets to them. They give a phoney Mastercard
# to cover the prints and shipping. You fork out a couple hundred for shipping to
a moneygram drop location. Then the card bounces and you are out the shipping
charge.

When I asked the buyer to provide a scan of the front & back of their card as well
as a scan of their photo ID - they responded indignantly that they would never do this.

I checked the alleged addresses given for the shipping companies H.Q. in England
using google streetview. One was a noodle shop and the other was a womens dress shop.

I also got an email from a graphic artist in New York that apparently got the same scam request - he saw my note here and contacted me.

So, if anyone gets a note from Shan Oakes, allegedly in Lichtenstein, this is what it's
really about.

The initial ego rush was nice, but like so much of life - not real.

Mike Anderson
2-Dec-2011, 14:55
Hush Delivery Service: "When it Absolutely, Positively must be a scam."

...Mike

Arne Croell
3-Dec-2011, 02:02
I got a similar request for some of my images on my US email account from a "Crystal Brons"(crystal001brons@ymail.com) supposedly from Moldova, end of August. I searched for the name on the web and couldn't find any, which was a bit suspicious to start with. When I answered them that I live part time in Europe and would happily receive a wire transfer from them on my European account (the standard way to send money in Europe), I never heard back. Case closed.

Terry Hayden
3-Dec-2011, 09:59
Just got another note from someone contacted by the
same "Shan Oakes" alegedly in Lichtenstein.

Seems they are quite busy.

This shows the wonderful power of web based communication
boards like this.

Both the fellow from New York, and this new contact from CA. did
google searches on Shan Oakes and Lichtenstein. They both were
directed to this forum.

Sucks that people do that sort of scams, but it's pretty cool this
site saved people from falling for it.

BrianShaw
3-Dec-2011, 11:09
I understand how people inthe business of selling things can get sucked into these scams. What amazes me is how many times I similar messages, both on my personal and business emails, from people either trying to buy things I don't sell or claiming to already have ordered things I don't sell.

I'd call people who do this kind of scam spam @holes, but I don't even think that highly of them!

Brian C. Miller
3-Dec-2011, 11:13
On 419eater.com there's a forum for posting people who need baiting. You can sign up and post details of what you've received, and there's a good chance that one of the people will pick it up and give them a run for their money.

Steven Tribe
3-Dec-2011, 12:35
They have taken the name of a green party politician (female) in the UK so that a web search drowns in all sorts of other "hits". They must have seen her name in a UK tabloid. "shan oakes scam" brings us to the top, though.

Ari
3-Dec-2011, 13:59
I got the same request a few months ago.
I was suspicious from the start but played along, as nothing like credit cards or prices had yet been discussed.
When the question of shipping arose, I said I would only ship through a courier, like UPS or DHL.
Then, when I insisted upon payment in cashier's cheque or money order, and NOT credit card, communications abruptly ceased.

irinar
1-Feb-2012, 20:51
Same exact thing just happened to me. Two weeks of back and forth emailing with some fictional guy named Moj Oyles in Dominica who sounded so much like a robot, but seemed so endearing because seemed to want my photographs. Finally chose 3 and tried to squeeze $350 out of me through Western Union for delivery via Teche Delivery Service. Googled them to no avail. Well the manager of Western Union saved me the trouble and guaranteed it was a scam. I looked back through my communications with the delivery people (they were writing from a hotmail address) and they accidentally signed an email Hush Delivery Service. Googled that, landed here and voila! Another story for the board.
Beware of:
Moj Oyles
Teche Delivery Service
anything shady requiring Western Union to the UK...apparently the highest scam rate in the world.

Brian Ellis
2-Feb-2012, 10:50
. . . They ( really same person I'm sure ) insisted that the only way to pay for shipping
was with a Western Union Moneygram. . . .

Thanks for checking this out so thoroughly and posting the results here. One of the first rules I was taught about doing business on the internet was that as soon as someone mentions paying by Western Union run away as fast as you can.

photobymike
2-Feb-2012, 14:04
LOL i probably would be flattered that a scammer would want my art prints, from Europe no less. Some countries have a way to confirm the address to the card. If you have paypal, they will do this for you. They will tell you on the order detail screen if the card holder has a confirmed delivery address. Paypal will however take the money out of the account if it is a fraud. Even a money order is iffy because of counterfeiting. Cash a money order and its 2 weeks at least before a bank knows. The best way of payment in my experience is a US USPS postal money. When cashing at the post office they have a way to make sure that it is legal tender. Or maybe Western Union money?

You really have nice prints (looked at your website) it would be a shame to be scammed out of prints.

http://www.mikepic.com

helloaaron
6-Feb-2012, 12:28
WOW! you guys saved me! I am an illustrator in NYC and a MOJ OYELS contacted me. It was fishy from the start but he did pick out certain images etc that he wanted to purchase the original paintings of mine. My personal jaded NY "scam alert warning" was almost activated but the guys seemed real, his address matched a really nice hotel and he said the works for for personal use. he also said he would mail a check etc.. as I did not trust a credit card. I did an internet search online and found you guys and I think you saved me! Here are 2 emails from him below:

thanks all!

aaron

www.aaronmeshon.com

Hello,
I am emailing to inquire about availability of artwork/illustration for sale in your inventory and if you are able to process Visa and Master Card Number/Expiry date/Cvv as payment. Let me know so that i can communicate with you on the artworks that interest me,you can also indicate to me which of the arts are sold and which are available on your website. my address is 22 Great Marlborough Street, Roseau Commonwealth of Dominica 17675
I will be looking forward to reading from you.
Best
Moj Oyles

Hello,
Good to hear from you,
Below are the artworks that interest me so i want you to get back to me with the cost price of each so i can give you the credit card number to run for the payment

Robots for crocodile creek
====================================================================
super sento
====================================================================
Racing for crocodile creek

I want you to get back to me with the cost of the above so that you can have the credit card to run for the payment.
I will be looking forward to hear from you asap.
Thanks
Shipping Address
Moj Oyles
22 Great Marlborough
Street, Roseau
Commonwealth
of Dominica 17675

BrianShaw
6-Feb-2012, 12:35
Glad to hear that you avoided getting scammed!

Terry Hayden
7-Feb-2012, 17:08
Well, this really does show the power of community!

Not to mention that it shows that low-lifes are a constant threat
in these times.

Glad this thread has helped people out!

Regards,
Terry
www.terryhayden.com

John Olsen
7-Feb-2012, 17:40
Happened to me too. What tipped me off was that they chose my not-favorite image for printing. I replied with lots of questions about how they wanted it printed, matted and the like, and ultimately wasted a load of their time while they tried to figure out answers. I was also able to Google sattelite the address and it turned out to be a shack out in the woods. Hmm.

Terry Hayden
10-Feb-2012, 17:54
Just got a note from a graphic artist in Seattle that was saved
from this scam when he found our posts here.

I was somewhat reluctant to post this to begin with. I never
considered myself to be an "easy mark". It's a pretty good lesson
in reality checking one's ego.

Terry
www.terryhayden.com

DrudeStudios
10-Feb-2012, 18:42
I'm an illustrator myself and a week ago I received the same email from "Moj Oyles" that Aaron did. Thank you everybody for this forum - I found this via a Google search as well.

Best,

Omaha Perez
www.drudestudios.com

Steven Tribe
12-Feb-2012, 15:27
This scammer is not the brightest person and should be in another branch. The name chosen is a complete unique combination in a google search and this site will always appear at the top! He/she will change the buyer name to something else soon - say, Peter Jones, David Smith, Stephane Lefrevre?

eddie
13-Feb-2012, 05:00
This scammer is not the brightest person and should be in another branch. The name chosen is a complete unique combination in a google search and this site will always appear at the top! He/she will change the buyer name to something else soon - say, Peter Jones, David Smith, Stephane Lefrevre?

if criminals were "smart" then we would all be in deep trouble.

now, if our friend moj ggogles his name he will find his new name(s) that steven suggested above.....har har har.....;) who knows? maybe he will choose steven tribe!

duncan1745
23-Feb-2012, 12:35
Okay, I have a lady that has used a visa card for 1,625.00. she wants me to send 375.00 of it to Teche Delivery. There is no place for it to be found. They said their site was down and currently being worked on.

I read here that the T. D. is a scam. I have the money. I contacted visa... they said if it cleared it was okay...but... the person could call for a charge back... THe lady is from Moldova or so she says. She bought three paintings from one, one that I have to paint.

How long can I person do a charge back? What should I do?

Greetings all.

I was recently contacted, via email, with a ( on face value ) flattering request to purchase several prints. This individual ( from a very small European country ) wanted the prints for their library.

Price information was exchanged. The purchaser has agreed to give me a mastercard number to charge to ( prior to shipping ) and has given me their address.

When I asked about shipping, they insist that the best way is through something called Hush Delivery Service ( hushdelivery@hush.com ). Hush is one of the many anonymous email account operations out there.

I can find no information about this delivery service, nor can I find any listings or reference to this alleged library. Doing a googlemap or bing map search, the given address is apparently right next door to a national library location.

So, my question is, if they give me a valid mastercard # ( which I can run at my
office ), what is my risk?

I hate looking at this in this way - but scammers are everywhere and I'd rather not be a victim if I can help it.

Regards,
Terry
www.terryhayden.com

BarryS
23-Feb-2012, 12:48
You're being scammed. Under no circumstances should you send any money to the "shipping company". The CC# is likely stolen and the charges will be reversed. Cancel the transaction and forget about it.

Okay, I have a lady that has used a visa card for 1,625.00. she wants me to send 375.00 of it to Teche Delivery. There is no place for it to be found. They said their site was down and currently being worked on.

I read here that the T. D. is a scam. I have the money. I contacted visa... they said if it cleared it was okay...but... the person could call for a charge back... THe lady is from Moldova or so she says. She bought three paintings from one, one that I have to paint.

How long can I person do a charge back? What should I do?

Terry Hayden
26-Feb-2012, 12:28
Sadly, BarryS is right - some cc companies allow 30 days or more to do chargebacks. If it is proven to be a stolen card ( which is quite likely)
then they probably have a very long time to do a chargeback.

Once they get your "shipping" money you will never hear from them again. Of course you will hear from the card company, when it turns out to
be an illegal transaction.

Jim Shanesy
16-Mar-2012, 06:05
I'd just tell them that you'll accept payment only via Paypal, and that they should expect a 6 week delivery time. And you'll ship through a shipper of your choice. You'll never hear from them again.

turtle
16-Mar-2012, 06:59
Very interesting thread. I had a good look through your work Terry and I can see why people would want to buy it - its excellent!

Terry Hayden
24-Mar-2012, 09:51
Thanks Turtle, I appreciate the compliment.

I suppose it would have also been a compliment of sorts if they had wanted to
steal my prints instead of just my money <G>.

Regards,
Terry
www.terryhayden.com