PDA

View Full Version : Roger Deakins on Photography, Film & Digital

r.e.
25-Nov-2011, 23:15
OK, he's not a large format photographer, but he did start out as a still photographer, he's made a few feature films that get projected on very large screens, he's been nominated for an Academy Award nine times and he just might be worth listening to in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hzlDmlE0wA

If impatient, start at the 10:50 mark.

If the moderators don't agree that this should be posted, it can be deleted or go to the lounge. I also considered posting it to Jay de Fehr's terrific thread The Future of Photography, but wasn't quite sure if it would fit with the flow of that discussion.

MDR
26-Nov-2011, 03:54
Thanks for the link, Deakins is a superb DP but just as much a victim of the tool candy box as any other DP. He is somewhat right too many tools can lead to diminishing quality especially if said tools are only used for effects or to lower the costs, I also have to agree with his love for Antonioni a director who experimented a lot. I also believe that a lot of today's photography and movies are lacking because the photographer, Director, Producer play it save and don't experiment. One simple has to look at the movies of the late 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's there was a lot more experimenting going on than in today's Blockbuster driven movie world.

Dominik