PDA

View Full Version : Tripod rental - Portland, OR

chassis
23-Nov-2011, 15:16
Hello,

I would like to know if there is a place that offers camera equipment (tripod+head) rental in Portland, OR. I will be there 12/1 - 12/7 and would like to do a 48 hour weekend rental of a tripod suitable for a 4x5 camera in the field (landscape shots, hiking, outdoors, etc.).

Alternatively, if there are any forum members here who might be willing to loan or rent a tripod, I am trustworthy, respectful of equipment and will return your equipment at the agreed time in the same condition it was provided. I am sure we can come to mutually acceptable terms.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

Kimberly Anderson
23-Nov-2011, 15:24
Pro Photo Supply. Google 'em. It is the best place in Portland.

jcoldslabs
23-Nov-2011, 15:52
Pro Photo for sure.

chassis
23-Nov-2011, 16:59
Thanks guys, looks like Pro Photo has some equipment that will work for me.

jcoldslabs
23-Nov-2011, 17:05
I'd would gladly loan you one but I only have one 4x5 tripod and it tends to see regular use.

Enjoy your time in Portland. It's a great place.

chassis
23-Nov-2011, 17:24
Thanks jcold. I want to get a nice shot of Mt. Hood. Not sure where the typical Ansel Adams-esque vistas are for this. In googling Hood images, I get the feeling it is not an intensively photographed subject. At least by people posting photos online.

I am bringing only one lens - a 58mm Super Angulon. I am visualizing a shot with interesting close foreground detail, and Hood in the background.

Capocheny
23-Nov-2011, 19:51
Hi Chassis,

I was in a similar situation last year as you find yourself today... except in Palm Springs.

My solution was to go on the Palm Springs CraigsList where I found a fairly stable tripod up for sale. The cost was about the same as renting one for a couple of days.

At the end of the trip... I came across a photography student in the field and gave it to him. This saved me from having to send it home.

Cheers,

PS: Can't speak to Mount Hood but don't pass up shooting at Multnomah Falls, Columbia River Gorge... very picturesque!

chassis
23-Nov-2011, 20:36
Capocheny, great idea, I will look into the craigslist option.

Peter Gomena
23-Nov-2011, 20:46
This time of year, you will be lucky to see the mountain. It is visible from all around Portland in good weather, but a 58mm on a 4x5 will make it very, very small. It is intensively photographed, and has been for more than 100 years.

If you decide to drive up close to the mountain, tire chains may be required. Heavy snow the last couple of days. Do try to take the Columbia River Gorge scenic highway. Several waterfalls along the way, and a much more target-rich environment.

Peter Gomena

chassis
23-Nov-2011, 21:04
Thanks Peter. On a completely different thought - what is a recommended coastal/beach area that is "target rich"? I am an Easterner with an entry-level knowledge of the area. Where would I find a forest of significantly large (old growth) Douglas firs?

Pete Suttner
23-Nov-2011, 21:09
pm sent

Capocheny
24-Nov-2011, 12:43
Chassis,

If you have the time... make the trek down to Canon Beach from Portland. The Monoliths coming up out of the water are really spectacular.

When we visited the last time, however, it was windy, windy, windy! Even the poor seagulls were being blown backwards. It was a pretty funny sight.

Cheers

chassis
25-Nov-2011, 07:40
Thanks Capocheny. I am considering visiting Oswald West State Park, because it seems like there are some old growth firs there. Canon Beach is in the same vicinity, so it should be doable on the same day.

Peter Gomena
25-Nov-2011, 09:54
Oswald West is good, as is Cannon Beach. My favorite spot on the north coast is right in between - Hug Point. It's just a little turnoff from the highway, but at low tide there are some spectacular cliff faces, caves, and other features. Hug Point is 4 miles south of Cannon Beach. It's neighbor just a bit to the north is Arcadia State Beach, which also offers some good spots.

Old growth Douglas fir is a bit harder to find, but it's around. There's an outstanding little trail at Lost Lake near Mt. Hood that takes you through some giants, but there may be snow now. At Silver Falls State Park there are a few acres of them east of the south parking lots. The Opal Creek trail also features some, but it's pretty remote and takes some walking. Old growth tends to remain in rugged, isolated patches, but there are accessible pockets here and there.

Peter Gomena

Peter Gomena
25-Nov-2011, 11:18
Just to add to my last post, take the road to Ecola State Park at the north end of Cannon Beach. Views are spectacular. It will cost you $5 to park, but it's entirely worth it. There are two parking areas, the main area and a second one a couple of miles on through the woods at Indian Beach. Warning - you can burn a lot of film out there.

Peter Gomena

chassis
25-Nov-2011, 12:46
Thanks Peter. There is an impressive variety of scenery in Oregon. Coast, forest and mountains; lots of subject material!

Peter Gomena
25-Nov-2011, 22:59
Don't forget the desert!

Peter Gomena

Jan Pedersen
26-Nov-2011, 19:37
Pete already mentioned the 58mm lens, it will be difficlult to find a spot where you can use such a short lens and still convince someone that Mt Hood is in the photo.
You just can't get a good view of Mt Hood for Douglas Fir :)
On the coast, look up Hug Point which is close to Cannon Beach. There's no stacks there but plenty of rock formations on the beach.

jcoldslabs
26-Nov-2011, 19:40
This thread is making me want to move to Oregon just so I can photograph the whole darn state.

Oh, wait...

don12x20
27-Nov-2011, 00:15
Old Growth forest near Portland?
Consider Oxbow Bend Park on the Sandy...
Don

chassis
1-Dec-2011, 21:40
I picked up a tripod in good condition from the Portland craigslist, for about the same cost as a rental, so I'm good to go! Thanks for the input folks.

jcoldslabs
1-Dec-2011, 23:51
Glad to hear it. Enjoy!

chassis
4-Dec-2011, 19:53
Hiked through Oxbow Regional Park today and made two exposures.
Great place, saw two bald eagles, and was able to observe a deer from
about 40yds without disturbing it. Good area for nature photos, forest, ferns, moss, etc.